Best Terrain in the Pocono's

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Best Terrain in the Pocono's

I'm a longtime skier who has yet to ski this year... I have used this website to identify amazing powder days in the east in years past and am going to get my one and only day on the slopes this year (had our first kid so it's been tough to get out). I'm skiing on Saturday and it actually looks like I might go to the Pocono's given the fresh snow that is coming their way.

I'm curious about which Eastern PA ski area has the best mix of terrain... and save the "none of them" jokes please! I love tree skiing but am being realistic so curious about who has steep terrain? Who has good bumps?

Any thoughts out there?

if the storm produces as forecasted blue will be the place to be
    "that feeling: hovering in a weightless space with honey on the tip of your tongue and pure red blood gorging your heart, soaring on a current of angelic music cutting clear mountain air." -norman ollestad, crazy for the storm

I doubt anyone in the Poconos gets more than 4 or 5 inches out of this, it's just not that remarkable of a storm. Timing is more important than anything else, earlier start and it may only be 2 to 4, later start and >6 is possible.

As for destination, if you must hit a Pocono hill, I personally prefer Blue Mountain over Camelback, but if you're located in NYC, and you only get 1 ski day per year, I dont get why you wouldnt go to Plattekill or Hunter (or even Windham).
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

As for destination, if you must hit a Pocono hill, I personally prefer Blue Mountain over Camelback, but if you're located in NYC, and you only get 1 ski day per year, I dont get why you wouldnt go to Plattekill or Hunter (or even Windham).[/QUOTE]

I'll go as far as Gore or Magic for sure, and I've been thinking about Plattekill for Saturday too. I'm just trying to figure out the best mix of conditions, snow, and terrain.

And I trust your opinion BG... so if you think Pocono's wouldn't be worth it....
    Last edited by j law; Mar 19, 2015 at 3:25 PM. Reason: i made a mistake

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    As for destination, if you must hit a Pocono hill, I personally prefer Blue Mountain over Camelback, but if you're located in NYC, and you only get 1 ski day per year, I dont get why you wouldnt go to Plattekill or Hunter (or even Windham).
    I'll go as far as Gore or Magic for sure, and I've been thinking about Plattekill for Saturday too. I'm just trying to figure out the best mix of conditions, snow, and terrain.

And I trust your opinion BG... so if you think Pocono's wouldn't be worth it....

Sullivan County up on the Walnuts mtn 2000 high elevation
    Elk in pa. Hunter or platty for terrain in Catskills

If I had only one day this year it would be Elk
    Bumps are great , worth extra drive time , less crowded
    Only drawback is the lift speeds .

Elk is in the Endless Mountains so i'm not entirely sure that counts as the Poconos. I'm not pedantic enough to look that up. Anyway, if you must stay in eastern PA, that's definitely the best place to go. Least crowds, top 3 for vertical and acreage, feels most distant from big cities and people throwing trash all over the place. Also the snow is generally the best. The lifts are a downside, though.
    Avoid the trees at Elk, they'll ruin your skis. Snow there is good but unfortunately there just isn't enough glading and maintenance to enjoy the woods. Too much shit on the ground and the trees are too tight.
    Really though, avoid the trees in the Poconos. If you want to ski trees, you would have to go at least as far as the Catskills (or to Blue Knob). Anyway, enjoy yourself wherever you go this weekend!

Yeah, Elk isn't in the Pocono range.

But if he can get to Gore or Magic, those are significantly better than Elk.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Sullivan County up on the Walnuts mtn 2000 high elevation
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Yeah, Elk isn't in the Pocono range.

But if he can get to Gore or Magic, those are significantly better than Elk.
    ADks getting snow from this? +100/ on what BG is saying for terrain elk , then hunter and 2 nd Roxbury , but gore glades and good real vertical and less people then Vermont resorts

Thread Information