• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowcat Skiing?

Creakyknees

I'm in the beginning stages of looking into 4 to 5 day trip for cat skiing for next season. Most likely it will be sometime in late February. Any experiences or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have done one day trips to Ski Cooper catskiing and Irwin Lodge cat skiing. The Irwin lodge was a great time good steep terrain. The Ski Cooper was like skiing blue squares. So I'm looking for steep terrain. Thanks.

Hawkshot99

Powder Mountain in Utah has quite a significant snow cat operation.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Not really to base a entire trip around. It just takes you up the one ridge and turns around.

The OP I believe is asking about true BC cat skiing, not based out of a resort. Take a run off a ridge down to the bottom then back in the cat to another spot(poor mans hell skiing)

SIKSKIER

I've been here http://www.mustangpowder.com/ 7 times.Fantastic place.It has however gotten very expensive but after a trip there I always felt it was well worth it.Everybody should go to a place like this once in your life.Its that cool.

Attachments

• 055.jpg
    055.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

C-Rex

I had booked 2 days with Big Red Cats in BC this season but didn't get to go due to lack of snow. We have a credit with them so I'll be going next season or the one after. I can't give you first hand knowledge but check our their site. They have a good deal of terrain and from what I've read and heard, a top notch operation. I know they cater to everyone from intermediates to "uber-experts". Just check out the videos on their site which show what kind of terrain to expect for each group.

WoodCore

Had a great experience with https://www.chugachpowderguides.com . Although mainly a helicopter operation the cat skiing area was pretty sweet. The nice part is that it's based at the Alyeska resort. 4-star accommodations, dining and a major ski area are all right outside your door.

Kerovick

I was at Keystone last Friday and the Cats were running. My legs were to shot to justify it at that point though.

Domeskier

Does Sugarbush still have snowcat skiing on Mt. Ellen after the lifts stop running for the season?

HowieT2

Does Sugarbush still have snowcat skiing on Mt. Ellen after the lifts stop running for the season?
They did, not sure if they are doing it this year, but I'll check on sunday whether the cat is at lincoln peak or moved to mt ellen.

As far as cat skiing, I couldnt recommend going to BC more. Did it last year with Wildhorse near whitewater, although they are no longer operating. awesome awesome awesome fun.

Domeskier

They did, not sure if they are doing it this year, but I'll check on sunday whether the cat is at lincoln peak or moved to mt ellen.

Thanks. With all the recent lift accidents, I'm looking for new options to get up the hill.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Unless it's changed, SB's Ellen offering was quite limited and quite expensive (big groups only).

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

HowieT2

Unless it's changed, SB's Ellen offering was quite limited and quite expensive (big groups only).

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

My recollection is that it was $1200/day including a bbq. so that's a $100/person for your own private mtn with lunch.