• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pet Peeve of the Day

VTKilarney

I am fortunate enough to ski at an area that seldom has lift lines. But the one drawback is the number of people who feel compelled to go right up to the loading point and then wait for their friends, or wait for a host of other reasons. I don't mind if they linger a few feet back, but they never waive you on and they just expect you to go around them while they are parked where you need to be.

Last edited:

drjeff

I am fortunate enough to ski at an area that seldom has lift lines. But the one drawback is the number of people who feel compelled to go right up to the loading point and then wait for their friends, or wait for a host of other reasons. I don't mind if they linger a few feet back, but they never waive you on and they just expect to go around them while they are parked where you need to be.

Agree!

As I tell my kids "Don't enter the queue unless EVERYONE is with you!"

hammer

That's up there with the people who think they can claim a table at the lodge with their bags...although many ski areas have changed their policies to prevent this.

gmcunni

i did it once this past weekend.. nobody in line so i moved down and then a crowd showed up before my crew did.

personally i HATE when they (the lift attendants) pull a full chair or more out of the singles line.

ironhippy

hahha, this is one of the bad things about having little to no lift lines.

My local hill has this problem and it is quite annoying, I've had people try to stop me from going in front of them, but they were still waiting for people behind me.

Sometimes people don't seem to realize that the chairs are going up if you are there or not, so let the people who are ready go!

Domeskier

That's up there with the people who think they can claim a table at the lodge with their bags...although many ski areas have changed their policies to prevent this.

I'm a little surprise that they're not already evacuating the lodge and sending in robots to inspect unattended bags. Guess I spend too much time in airports and subways.

Jully

Waiting at the head of the line happens ALL the time. It's absolutely infuriating

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
What are you guys saying? that they are blocking your way? Or are they entirely stopping the line? At all the places I ski at, those that wait are pretty courteous about staying back, against the ropes so others can get by.

ironhippy

What are you guys saying? that they are blocking your way? Or are they entirely stopping the line? At all the places I ski at, those that wait are pretty courteous about staying back, against the ropes so others can get by.

either way isn't necessary and creates problems.
Why wait in the line against the ropes? Why not wait outside the ropes and then enter when the rest of your group shows up?

edit: I'm not trying to bitch, hopefully just clarifying

Highway Star

first-world-problems-5635.jpg

dlague

If some one is there minutes before, then yes that is annoying. But if there is a certain amount of interleaving then I do not have a problem with it. Last week there were times when we skied into the line and some one else got there seconds before my wife and technically cut her off which is also pretty annoying. If I do get there and another group is ready to get on I just waive them though and I have never seen it to be an issue. Like wise I have been waived through.

1st World Problem

Smellytele

The guy I was speaking of block the whole line and was texting. He was beyond the multiple line part and was just standing there where all the lines funnel together. Not waiving anyone on or acknowledging anyone was even around had to squeeze around him against the fencing to get to the chair. Is it a "1st world problem"? No - just annoying

dlague

The guy I was speaking of block the whole line and was texting. He was beyond the multiple line part and was just standing there where all the lines funnel together. Not waiving anyone on or acknowledging anyone was even around had to squeeze around him against the fencing to get to the chair. Is it a "1st world problem"? No - just annoying

Stating that way - that person was being an ass!

VTKilarney

Likewise, I am talking about people that are actually blocking me from getting on the lift. They are standing at the very last spot before loading.

And by the way, the "first world problem" meme is really a douche bag meme. Nobody is suggesting that this is a serious problem. This is a forum. It's a forum about skiing. So relax a little when someone mentions something related to skiing. It's where it's supposed to be mentioned, after all. The "first world problem" meme could be used when talking about ice on a trail, a rain event, or any number of things discussed here. So stop being the world's speech police, respect the nature of this forum, and put your hands back in your pants.

Highway Star.jpg

skiNEwhere

#1 pet peeve of mine is snowboarders who feel the need to flop the tail of their board to get the snow off it while they are in the lift line, and by doing so flop it on everyone else. A-hole move for sure.

And yes, I've seen skiers do it as well (with their tips) but the majority of the time it's snowboarders.

VTKilarney

I've never claimed that I don't whine. If you are going to post a meme at least get it right. You are zero for two. Why so "judgy wudgy" today? Hands out of your pants for too long?