• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does Mad River Scare You a Little? NO!

KevinF

MRG probably has the biggest "image problem" of any New England ski area, at least among those who haven't been there... I thought that was a great video.

I admit the first time I went to MRG I was thinking that I was in for a day that would be far, far harder than what I actually found. I was thinking that everything was going to be stupid steep, stupid icy and stupid narrow. And it's really not like that at all.

dlague

2 things

1) this is part of MRG trying to appeal to non expert or advanced skiers because of their rep. It came out last year which is when I saw it.
2) I watched it again and I got this sinking feeling that ski season is nearing the end and I got really sad - nice job! :sadwalk:

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
The reasons people think MRG is intimidating:
- Most major areas have a significant flat near the bottom to catch one's breath. MRG does not.
- Without snowmaking on most of the hill, it can be sketchy if there has been a "snow drought"
- They groom, but they groom a lower percentage of the mountain than most areas groom
- There are no steeps (black diamonds) that don't include moguls
- Only a few of the blue squares don't include moguls
- The other skiers IMO are better on average than skiers at most other areas. I was having a pretty good run down Chute when I was passed by a telemarker who proceeded to do a helicopter right in front of me. That doesn't happen at other places and it is humbling!

hammer

Is the vibe at MRG similar to Magic? Magic has plenty of challenging trails and lots of really good skiers, but it's not intimidating to someone with more limited skills IMO...

BenedictGomez

Skied MRG for the first time on Wednesday. Neat place, and it was in great shape given the 4" the day before. The old-fashioned vibe reminded me of Plattekill.

I do agree with the image problem, for instance, a few weeks ago when I was planning this trip and told my gf we'd be going there, the first thing out of her mouth was, "will I be able to ski there?" Turns out she absolutely loved it, even though there were moguls on quite a bit of the intermediate terrain, which she's not keen on.

One thing I noticed was there were a lot of old people skiing there. Very cool to see folks in their 70s still skiing their heart's out, but it definitely stood out to me.

boston_e

I wonder if the "ski it if you can" motto is starting to work against them.... That's the only reason people think it is harder than other vermont mountains. The video is well done... Reminds me of the vibe I feel at Pico.

MRG was #1 on my "overrated" list in that other thread a while back, but someday I'd like to give it another shot.... But that won't be for a while as I'm unlikely to ditch friends and family that I like to go with who are snowboarders.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
There is more of a social aspect at MRG, but that is due in large part to its longevity. It's fair to say that many shareholders don't know each other. However, when you come back year after year, there are familiar faces. Magic is just starting to grow into that. There are always a TON of little kids. Not just skiing, but crawling all over basebox and birdcage. And just screwing around like kids do. Definitely feels more like a family place.

Regarding runout, just circle your way over to birdland, that's a great place to catch your breath. My daughter, a beginner-almost-intermediate just loved birdland, stayed there all day.

Snowmaking? You just have to learn to not be so fussy. "Back in my day".... (here he goes again) rocks, dirt and grass were de rigeur. And terrain? Most places were just like this. They were just part of skiing. For the Okemo and Stratton crowd that need wall to wall cord, Macys, Old Navy, McDonalds and TJ Maxx, not so much.

Moguls just come with ungroomed stuff. Period.

Agree on Skills - yes, (especially the little ones)are a step above. Difference is that they are not full of themselves.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I wonder if the "ski it if you can" motto is starting to work against them.... That's the only reason people think it is harder than other vermont mountains.
Frankly, MRG doesn't really care what we think. Bringing in the paying public is a secondary (albeit fiscally important) priority

See you there tomorrow. If you can.

;)

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Is the vibe at MRG similar to Magic? Magic has plenty of challenging trails and lots of really good skiers, but it's not intimidating to someone with more limited skills IMO...

Not at all. There are a lot of similarities between the resorts. Vibe, or accessibility, are not among them.

BenedictGomez

Bringing in the paying public is a secondary (albeit fiscally important) priority

I definitely got that feeling. There are some public friendly things they could do, that they dont, that makes that somewhat clear. Regarding fiscal matters you mentioned, I overheard an employee say that while ticket sales are down this year from last year, overall sales are up due to more food/bevy/merch. With the outperforming natural snow this year and last, I imagine they've done well.

boston_e

Frankly, MRG doesn't really care what we think. Bringing in the paying public is a secondary (albeit fiscally important) priority

See you there tomorrow. If you can.

;)

Did you think I meant in any way other than fiscally? :roll:

Not that I've paid a lot of attention to MRG marketing over the years, but it is very different from anything I've ever seen from them, so I'd assume they are trying to expand the base of people coming.

As mentioned I'm not ditching a snowboarding buddy for the day, so someone else is getting our groups dollars. :wink:

Last edited:

xwhaler

Re: Revenue. I'm always struck a bit by the MRG gift shop. Its strategically located right on the way out, but outside of the crowded lodge. Its also very well stocked with logo merchandise and not exactly cheap. Seems to be bigger and more of a focus than other shops I've been in.
I was a sucker after an incredible March day a few weeks ago and very quickly dropped $75 on 3 t shirts.
Have to think they do well with that profit center. People want to be "seen" wearing MRG logo!

BenedictGomez

Its also very well stocked with logo merchandise and not exactly cheap. Seems to be bigger and more
I was a sucker after an incredible March day a few weeks ago and very quickly dropped $75 on 3 t shirts.

I thought it was pretty reasonable. Granted it was end-of-season sale and everything was 20% off, but the T-shirts were only $22 full price, and the stickers (we get a sticker for the Thule rack for every new place we hit) were $1.

I'm not sure if the fact that store is in mandatory passing on your way out is "Disney strategic" or serendipitous due to MRG's small size (the entire place is just a few buildings), but it no doubt funnels folks past the merch.

Naming your PR video "Does Mad River Scare You a Little" might not be the best way to dispel the concern.

I disagree.

Were that video their main PR hit I'd agree with you 100%, but the video is targeted specifically at those who are apprehensive because they already have said fear, which the piece aims to address.