Does Mad River Scare You a Little? NO! - Page 8

AlpineZone

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua segal View Post
    The reasons people think MRG is intimidating:
    - Most major areas have a significant flat near the bottom to catch one's breath. MRG does not.
    - Without snowmaking on most of the hill, it can be sketchy if there has been a "snow drought"
    - They groom, but they groom a lower percentage of the mountain than most areas groom
    - There are no steeps (black diamonds) that don't include moguls
    - Only a few of the blue squares don't include moguls
    - The other skiers IMO are better on average than skiers at most other areas. I was having a pretty good run down Chute when I was passed by a telemarker who proceeded to do a helicopter right in front of me. That doesn't happen at other places and it is humbling!
    OMG! That is hilarious. It's almost sublime!

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkSnow View Post
    If you really want to ride MRG, the Long Trail runs right across the ridge line. All you have to do is hike up. What's the worst that could happen?
    Lol get a group of 50 or so boarders to do it on a pow day and be sure to have some cameras to capture the fun. The mountain is great but that anti attitude really sucks.

Found 6 boarders poaching mad river on youtube.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbDYHDOU5hQ

Quote Originally Posted by benski View Post
    Found 6 boarders poaching mad river on youtube.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbDYHDOU5hQ
    How many times did those guys hike up? They obviously did at least two or laps. That's an impressive workout.

Arc \'em or park \'em

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I did the hike down from Mt. Ellen once.....It was maybe equivalent to some trees I've skied at Loveland but I was kinda let down otherwise. Definitely not as rowdy as their rep
    Not sure how it's possible to (even remotely) make that determination in one random run down one finite little bit of a mountain.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Not sure how it's possible to (even remotely) make that determination in one random run down one finite little bit of a mountain.
    He badly wants to believe it so he doesn't feel that he's missing out on anything.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    So there are magically 10x better lines at MRG compared to stuff you can find at other EC hills? Doubtful.

My overall point is just like the OP's vid, its not some expert only if you dare type place. Tramline at Cannon or Kinsman is probably much rowdier than most of MRG's terrain.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    So, this was because you were on a board, just to be clear? If he threatened that before the sorority letter, the man was ahead of his time.
    Yes I poached it. This was back around 2006 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Duderino View Post
    I would have just smiled at the guy and said, "MRG, poach it if you can".
    Something along those lines, but I probably flubbed the delivery as I was pretty taken aback given the under 10 kids he was with.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    So there are magically 10x better lines at MRG compared to stuff you can find at other EC hills? Doubtful.

My overall point is just like the OP's vid, its not some expert only if you dare type place. Tramline at Cannon or Kinsman is probably much rowdier than most of MRG's terrain.
    You'll never know.

But, kidding aside, there is definitely a special vibe with MRG. Can you find equally challenging terrain elsewhere? Yes. But can you find an the same overall experience in the east? That's doubtful.

I think it's silly that they won't allow snowboarders. But I also think that snowboarders can be plenty happy without MRG.

Kinsman is pretty tame compared to a lot at MRG. As a general rule the lines are tighter and steeper at MRG.

Tramline doesn't really have comparable terrain at MRG.

There's plenty of places in the east with stuff as challenging as MRG, but no where that has as high a percentage of such terrain.

Thread Information