Camelback cancels racing

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Camelback cancels racing

Our son is one year removed from the program, but Camelback announced last week that it was terminating all racing programs effective next year. I'm pretty stunned by this move as the program from development - U21 was well attended and not cheap. The race team seemed an integral part of the resort. Know a bunch of families that are now in a bind. The hotel is changing everything.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Quote Originally Posted by 4aprice View Post
    The hotel is changing everything.
    Why would the hotel cause the racing team to be killed?

I was surprised when I read your title, but I assumed that just meant the racing team was either losing money or revenue neutral. I'll be interested to see how much more crowded that place gets on December - March weekends with that giant thing.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Where did you read this? Cant seem to find anything online.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Why would the hotel cause the racing team to be killed?

I was surprised when I read your title, but I assumed that just meant the racing team was either losing money or revenue neutral. I'll be interested to see how much more crowded that place gets on December - March weekends with that giant thing.
    Don't mean to directly blame the hotel but the mind set up there has changed. I would say you may have up 40 families now looking for a new mountain, most of those 2nd home owners up there. The ski team is set up as a club (seems the way all mountains do it.) It's a real change of positions by the mountain as we put in new equipment (timing) and Infrastructure (Start and finish shacks) with in the last 2 years with the mountains approval and help. The programs were successful and expensive (Club and mountain dues + seasons pass's).

mbedle: Got the information thru e-mail of past and present team members, there is a facebook page for PASEF (the club name) where you can see their announcement FWIW.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Camelback cancels racing

Another reason not to go...if camelback stating they are open on the phone and website only for me to arrive and find them closed, and not even offered an apology wasn't enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bear Creek did this a while back as well. The corporate, bottom line is all that matters mindset is beyond frustrating. It made a core group of local families happy, and kept them and their friends coming back. Apparently you're not their target demographic anymore. It's just sad.
    Dude.

Mountains often seem to forget that the revenue from a race program is often far greater reaching than just what is logged into the ledgers from program fees
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

Quote Originally Posted by danimals View Post
    Another reason not to go...if camelback stating they are open on the phone and website only for me to arrive and find them closed, and not even offered an apology wasn't enough.

I checked site days ago and said closed for season .
    Somebody on the phone told you they were open?
    That stinks.

This was a year ago in mid February. They closed for rain yet it drizzled for thirty minutes on the ride up and was bluebird the rest of the day.

There was a full parking lot of confused customers. They deleted our comments from Facebook and never bothered to apologize or even offer a discount to return. They were also the only place in PA closed that day.

Could it be that they received too many complaints about how the junior racers were skiing when not actually in a race?

Thread Information