• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

To wax or not to wax...

SKIQUATTRO

and a brush.....hot wax, scrape, brush and then go over with a scotch brite pad....check out TOGNAR for waxing tips/tuning tips...i wax after every 4-5 days depending on the snow..corn is alot rougher and will scrape the wax off more than fresh powder.....

56fish

Website
www.borderskirental.com
like Paul said, unless you are racing you wont be able to tell a difference......

Keep thinking that way folks...I'll beat you to first tracks every run. And, where longer run-outs exist (bottom of Jay in places), I'll beat you to the lift, too. And, the lounge! :beer: Being a boarder, I wax to avoid having to skate. It makes a huge difference in fresh snow.

You can avoid the "base burn" (white under the bindings, near the edges) by using very hard waxes near the edge.

Paul

Keep thinking that way folks...I'll beat you to first tracks every run. And, where longer run-outs exist (bottom of Jay in places), I'll beat you to the lift, too. And, the lounge! :beer:

Not comparing waxing v. not waxing, comparing wax temp range. I'll beat you to first tracks by setting my alarm clock earlier. :p

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Keep thinking that way folks...I'll beat you to first tracks every run. And, where longer run-outs exist (bottom of Jay in places), I'll beat you to the lift, too. And, the lounge! :beer: Being a boarder, I wax to avoid having to skate. It makes a huge difference in fresh snow.

Like he said...unless he's racing.....its not a race!

But to each his own. And to be honest...I'm not so sure you would "beat" me even if you had wax and I didn't!!! :)

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Wow, gotta say I'm impressed with the amount of answers, but definitely confused by them. It looks like 50% say to wax, 50% say not to. If it won't hurt the skis, I'll wax em.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

I don't think anyone is saying not to wax your skis, I think the debate will always be about the importance of it. And the importance of waxing is not a static value, it changes depending on the type of skiing you do. It has just a little value to me, which is why I'll do it maybe every 10 days out... maybe. Unless someone convinces me otherwise. Which would actually take someone who can explain the chemistry, at least on a basic level, of why UHMWPE needs wax. Vague, layman statements like "to keep from drying out" or "to protect it" does not really satisfy me without a good reason behind it and where that information came from (aside from making a lower friction surface, I know that works).

yes, wax.....it helps in all aspects of your ski, like putting oil in your car....put it this way, it cannont hurt to have wax on your skis....you paid alot of money for your skis, take care of em....

One may or may not have paid a lot of money for the skis. Either way, waxing will not hurt the ski, but it still takes time and money (samething). If it is not worth the potential returns, than it is dumb to overdo it.

No one changes their oil every 500 miles, do they?

Birdman829

Waxing and tuning is overrated. As stated above, unless of course you're racing. I used to hand tune and wax everything. Now, just need to keep a decently sharp edge in icy conditions. Otherwise, its all about the skier..not even the skis, let alone a tune!

edit: I've also never had a pair of skis where the bases died out before the ski became a noodle or did some major damage ie. base shots or blown out edges.

Completely depends on how you use them. Some people have 5 or more pairs of skis so that a pair can last for quite a few years. I have 2 pair but I like to wax and tune them myself to keep them in good shape. It certainly doesn't hurt, it keeps them in good shape, and it's kinda fun.

SKIQUATTRO

Time: yes, all of about 30 min if that
Money: after the intial $30 or so for an iron, its very cheap..less than a pint

Some like sit and watch football for 4 hours, I like working on my skis for an hour on Thurs night when everyone is asleep....different strokes....point is is that i like to take care of my gear whether it be my skis/bikes/cars...

Goblin84

Skiquattro, I agree. I really do like fixing up my skis. Have a beer or two, takes some time to do my 3 pairs of skis (well, two people are skiing on 3 pairs). It is really a great thursday night activity.

I will probably start the same thing with my bike in the summer. I have only just started getting into cycling. dont know my head from my butt when it comes to anything with a bike though

Terry

I wax my skis every 3-4 days out on the hill, depending on conditions. They definately turn better when they are waxed.

Paul

Agree with Quattro and Goblin.

There is a Zen-like quality to tunin' yer stuff.

* Geez.... I need to get a life....

SkiDog

The life of a ski is VERY limited.....just ski em...have fun....hit rocks...buy a new pair...BUY USED...it doesnt hurt soo much...

M

Paul

The life of a ski is VERY limited.....just ski em...have fun....hit rocks...buy a new pair...BUY USED...it doesnt hurt soo much...

M

Just make sure to buy them from someone who waxed them frequently, otherwise the bases will be all dried-out:p

SkiDog

Just make sure to buy them from someone who waxed them frequently, otherwise the bases will be all dried-out:p

Good one......I think you'd have to keep a pair of skis around quite some time for that to happen...HA

:D

M

Birdman829

The problem is that if they dry out, the base can warp (giving you a base high ski or something like that) and they won't accept wax well if you do decide to wax them. As for time, I just waxed mine earlier today, took about 12 minutes. I'll scrape them and brush them for 5 before I head out tomorrow morning.