• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

To wax or not to wax...

drjeff

Toko Universal Wax. 1 kg (4 - 250g bars) for $25 at Tognar. Probably gonna last me 25 years

And people need stop using the glide speed argument for waxing or not waxing. I think I notice smoother turns more than top end glide speed with nicely waxed skis. And that should be more important to most people than how fast they glide.

The only real time that just about anyone but the highest of levels racers notice glide speed is when they click into the bindings in the base area and skate over to their 1st chair of the day!

trailertrash

i havent touched an iron to my bases in a few years. not needed. use this:

http://www.alpineskituning.com/raysway.waxwhiz.htm

(try it before you discount it)

it takes 5 mins to wax a ski/board.

its funny to say waxing will help you turn. maybe if you were on a straight ski. or if you are like most and skiing a shaped ski like a straight ski. how can a wax help you bring a ski up on edge?

a combination of a waxed base and a good grind helps you glide, not just one or the other.
waxing will help protect a good grind.

tree skiers dont need to wax or tune their edges, enough said. carvers and racers do.

"factory tunes" arent that great. check them with a true bar if you dont believe me. factories dont have great quality control. see what the base and side edges are reported to be from a ski vendor than check with a true bar, bet it is not the same.

for the best tune arround try Mike D at Summit Ski and Sport. I am not paid or endorsed by him, just a customer.

eastcoastskiier

has anyone ever used one of those pure teflon rub-ons. I have seen them and they recommend using it over top of a fresh wax and its suppost to stay on for 2-3 days on the mountain. From what i hear in spring conditions its amazing, and they even say that it will stay on in the course, coldsnow. Any users?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
has anyone ever used one of those pure teflon rub-ons. I have seen them and they recommend using it over top of a fresh wax and its suppost to stay on for 2-3 days on the mountain. From what i hear in spring conditions its amazing, and they even say that it will stay on in the course, coldsnow. Any users?

Interesting concept since UHMWPE supposedly has a coefficient of friction very similar to teflon.

A little more about UHMWPE from Wiki (not the most reliable source, I know) but this should give you an idea about the toughness of the material:

The high molecular weight results in a very tough material. Because of its outstanding toughness, cut, wear and excellent chemical resistance, UHWMPE is used in a wide diversity of applications. These include can and bottle handling machine parts, moving parts on weaving machines, bearings, gears, artificial joints, edge protection on ice rinks, butchers' chopping boards.

Anyone worried about "oxidation" and snow hurting the bottom of their skis I'd say is going a little overboard. Or a lot. I fly stunt kites with Dyneema lines (made from spun UHMWPE) and never wax that. If line that thin is not affected by "oxidation" or "burn" than I have a hard time seeing my bases fall victim to anything harmful. I don't wax my cutting boards. Wax is good for better glide (which I'll admit can be important, for spring skiing for instance as mention) and that's it. Anything else and you're falling victim to Swix's marketing tactics.

56fish

Website
www.borderskirental.com
Anyone worried about "oxidation" and snow hurting the bottom of their skis I'd say is going a little overboard. Or a lot. I fly stunt kites with Dyneema lines (made from spun UHMWPE) and never wax that. If line that thin is not affected by "oxidation" or "burn" than I have a hard time seeing my bases fall victim to anything harmful. I don't wax my cutting boards. Wax is good for better glide (which I'll admit can be important, for spring skiing for instance as mention) and that's it. Anything else and you're falling victim to Swix's marketing tactics.

:argue:

Don't know if this tidbit will influence - allowing bases to "dry out" may shrink the base material a bit. Leaving the edges a bit high, especially in the tips/tails of wider skis. See it every day here at the shop. This will influence your skiing enjoyment! Wax on!:wink:

trailertrash

Don't know if this tidbit will influence - allowing bases to "dry out" may shrink the base material a bit. Leaving the edges a bit high, especially in the tips/tails of wider skis. See it every day here at the shop. This will influence your skiing enjoyment! Wax on!

just curious. how do you know that high edges are from not waxing? you are seeing an effect in your shop but how do you know the cause? how are you drawing these conclusions?

not meant to be an argument, just curious.

56fish

Website
www.borderskirental.com
just curious. how do you know that high edges are from not waxing? you are seeing an effect in your shop but how do you know the cause? how are you drawing these conclusions?

not meant to be an argument, just curious.

No proof. Just an observation on my part. And, a general consensus among ski techs I've know thru the years. Edge-high; much more common in poorly maintained, infrequently used skis & boards. Rarely seen in well maintained equipment.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
hey, your car is going to get dirty so why wash/wax/and do oil changes??? its just about taking care of your equipment. I am sure they are working fine for you.

I change the oil every 3,000 or 5,000 if using synthetic oil. There is a direct correlation between dirty oil and engine sludge and other issues. I have yet to see any correlation whatsoever with regard to waxing my skis given the type of skiing I do.
As for washing....I don't really wash them that often. (Cars that is. I shower daily...1/2 the time 2x a day.). I'm a little better now with my new car since I own it. I never washed my last one that I leased. Ever. (The dealer did when I brought it in for servicing).

And I still can't believe this thread is going on. First time I've read it since my last post a week or so ago.

Oh and one of my cars I never washed...(a honda) ....went to 236,000 miles. :)

Last edited:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
:argue:

Don't know if this tidbit will influence - allowing bases to "dry out" may shrink the base material a bit. Leaving the edges a bit high, especially in the tips/tails of wider skis. See it every day here at the shop. This will influence your skiing enjoyment! Wax on!:wink:

1) If you can explain to me what molecules leave the chains of polyethylene I'd be more open to the idea a sheet of it can dry out and shrink. This would be a major concern in some of the applications I mentioned earlier (for instance PE bearings) yet no one keeps that waxed with any type of hydrocarbon or flourocarbon based paraffin wax.

2) Haven't seen this type of wear on my chitty Rossi's. I suspect a different cause. That is of course conjecture, but it is less so than yours. Remember, of the term "conventional wisdom," usually only the first word is accurate.

3) The snow and conditions I like to ski, even if my edges were slightly higher, it wouldn't affect my skiing enjoyment.

4) If this thread goes on any longer, we're going to have to invent some kind of riduculous award for it.

SkiDog

ive got pairs and pairs of old skis sitting in a damp"ish" basement...some have been there over 10 years....I looked at them the other day.....they WERE NOT stored with fresh wax...and there is no NOTICEABLE base changes....no raised edges...no shrunken or cracked bases....

Waxing isn't necessary...IMHO it does help though :D

Happy sliding..

M

SKIQUATTRO

4) If this thread goes on any longer, we're going to have to invent some kind of riduculous award for it

was just thinking the same thing...poor Sheik I think has now bought a farm in Kansas...

SkiDog

i might suggest the base is shrinking from too hot an iron? or using an iron too much?

ahhhhhhh good thought.......maybe waxing is really EVIL.... ;-)

hey do what you want...wax or don't....its your deal.....i certainly dont do it as often as I used to.....

M

cbcbd

I like taking care of my things (when I give myself time to do so).
It gives me a renewed love for my skis/bikes/kayaks/car/climbing gear after working on them.