• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Road Rage

Scruffy

So, now that it's 70mph on 95/295 in Maine, what's the safety range? 84? When it was 65, anything under 80 was ignored, since they really only want to the 3 pointers. Is there a new reality?

prsboogie

I find that places tighten their "look the other way" range once they increase the top end. It is probably still 80 with an increase in the bucks per mile over posted!

deadheadskier

Staff member
IMO 95 in Maine has some of the most aggressive traffic enforcement anywhere, especially south of Portland. I always see spotters on bridges and then a small brigade of cop cars to follow.

I used to keep it at 72. Now I keep it at 78/79. Don't really feel the need to drive faster than that.

North of Bangor it's fairly common to see people going 90 in the 75 mph zone.

gmcunni

in general it seems to me that the blatant disregard for speed limits is at an all time high.

75 is the new 55

wa-loaf

What does this have to do with road rage? I keep it around 80 and use Waze to help out with speed traps. Haven't been north of Bangor since the limit up there was raised, but people drove 85 when it was 65 ...

Edd

IMO 95 in Maine has some of the most aggressive traffic enforcement anywhere, especially south of Portland. I always see spotters on bridges and then a small brigade of cop cars to follow.

Funny, I never notice that. I have noticed disturbingly hard to spot "undercover" type police vehicles that have pulled people over.

moresnow

in general it seems to me that the blatant disregard for speed limits is at an all time high.

75 is the new 55

I think this is in part because cars have come a long way. They are safer in crashes, have more power, are quieter, and ride smoother than cars from a few years back. Makes it much easier to go 75 or 80. Hell, even my Honda Fit cruises at that speed on the highway without having to stomp on the gas.

Talisman

Not safer at those speeds though. Easier to go that speed, definitely.

It has been awhile since I have read the crash data statistics, but the probability of a fatal crash goes up dramatically above 70 MPH. When I see traffic moving at 80-85 MPH or above, I wonder about the speed rating of the tires and the condition of the brakes on those cars.

Warp Daddy

What i find amusing is that everyone is rushing to nowhere to do nothing and in doing so are willing to not only put themselves BUT everyone else on the road at risk !

Life is not a dress rehearsal , Smell the Roses , saving 15 minutes on a trip is really NOT worth it .

prsboogie

Let's talk about how more distracted people are with these new fangled communication devices we got 😲

Scruffy

Let's talk about how more distracted people are with these new fangled communication devices we got 

And old fangled too, saw a lady on 295 just north of Portland about 6:isPM the other night chowing down on something in a bowl with a spoon while driving. Either soup or cereal. She was hunched over the steering wheel holding the bowl and steering with one hand, and spooning with the other.

Scruffy

I used to keep it at 72. Now I keep it at 78/79. Don't really feel the need to drive faster than that.

North of Bangor it's fairly common to see people going 90 in the 75 mph zone.

Yup, seen them plenty out there south of Portland in force. It's easy pickings for them, so many peeps doing 20mph over the posted limit.

Scruffy

I think this is in part because cars have come a long way. They are safer in crashes, have more power, are quieter, and ride smoother than cars from a few years back. Makes it much easier to go 75 or 80. Hell, even my Honda Fit cruises at that speed on the highway without having to stomp on the gas.

This is certainly part of it.