• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing on the Cheap - 2015-16 Edition

chuckstah

You're going to ski every mountain on the card? If not, that's an illogical way to view it from a personal finance standpoint.

i hope to ski all but Titus, so 10, or $2.50 increase per mountain for me. Still not bad. Titus is too far for me for what it is. The rest can be paired up for weekends, Owl's Head with Smuggs, Gore with Whiteface. The rest are day trip distance for me.

BenedictGomez

i hope to ski all but Titus

Wow. Well if you were planning on skiing 10/11 anyway, it's a great deal, but I imagine you represent probably 2% of the market (maybe 1% lol). My sense is most people only use the card 4, 5, or 6 times.

Personally, I got to 5 last year, but I'm not going to ski areas like Titus or Suicide Six just because I have a card.

steamboat1

Not a bad deal. I'd consider it if I didn't already have other deals going for me. It's been a number of years since I've been to Gore, Whiteface, Smuggs or Bolton, all within day trip range from our place in VT. It'd be nice to get to those places again. Middlebury & MRG are an hour or less away but Middlebury is already cheap enough weekdays ($35). Not really interested in going to S6 even though it's close. Cannon & Burke are doable for day trips but would be pushing it a little, never been to Burke. I could definitely get my monies worth out of the pass but how many deals do I want.

Smellytele

i hope to ski all but Titus, so 10, or $2.50 increase per mountain for me. Still not bad. Titus is too far for me for what it is. The rest can be paired up for weekends, Owl's Head with Smuggs, Gore with Whiteface. The rest are day trip distance for me.

I skied titus while in Lake Placid skiing Whiteface. Wasn't far except my GPS screwed me driving back to LP and sent me down barely plowed/upkept dirt roads

Skier4life

In the hope that they do monitor sites like this - I just wanted to add how bitterly disappointed I am because this was the "perfect" card for me as I generally ski many different areas in a season (geographically).

Only 2 of my usual spots were on the list (Smuggs and Jay) but I would have ventured into Ow'ls head on my annual Canadian trip, Gore on the way up or down from Canada, I always wanted to try out Whiteface (they give fairly good discounts and promos at the Boston show) and this year I would have attempted MRG! That's still only 6 mountains but I would have made it work if the card was still reasonably priced given as mentioned before, these are not day trip mountains for the likes of my kind coming from NYC!

I even considered the M.A.X. Pass for that reason (and not just because it's a cool name :razz:)!

Anyone know how much the early bird price for the M.A.X. Pass was this year?...that will inform my stalking prowess for next season. It's currently $719 until midnight tonight.

Thanks!

fahz

I pulled the trigger. I might be up for swapping at some point, Owl's Head is probably the least likely for me to get to this season. I generally can't ski Mon - Fri so having most Saturdays & Sundays available still makes this a deal for me - I hope.

dlague

Wow. Well if you were planning on skiing 10/11 anyway, it's a great deal, but I imagine you represent probably 2% of the market (maybe 1% lol). My sense is most people only use the card 4, 5, or 6 times.

Personally, I got to 5 last year, but I'm not going to ski areas like Titus or Suicide Six just because I have a card.

The winter gets busy! Considering RSNE events, Ski Vermont 3 or 5 pass to get to places like Stowe and a seasons pass, a few comps and before you know it the season vanishes. Trying to squeeze that in too is tough. The year we bought it we got 8 days which was pretty good but most were in April because we were trying to burn them up.

chuckstah

I skied titus while in Lake Placid skiing Whiteface. Wasn't far except my GPS screwed me driving back to LP and sent me down barely plowed/upkept dirt roads

I just looked up the distance, only an hour or so. Not bad. However, if I can swing a 3 day trip to the Lake Placid area (not likely) where I have never skied, I think I'd stick to the bigger resorts.

Cornhead

Titus was OK, but not sure it's worth the drive from WF. You've gotta watch out for escaped murderers in Malone too.;) I hear there's a crazed axeman living up there too, though he may be easy to run from for a while.

dlague

Dlague,

Isn't Owl's Head closer to you than Middlebury?

Jay Peak is about 2 hours and twenty minutes. Owl's Head is about twenty to thirty minutes further. It would be about the same as far as I can tell plus or minus 10.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

VTKilarney

Jay Peak is about 2 hours and twenty minutes. Owl's Head is about twenty to thirty minutes further. It would be about the same as far as I can tell plus or minus 10.

So why list Middlebury as a possibility, but Owl's Head as too far?

Smellytele

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

I live west of Concord NH and Owl's head is an hour further for me than Middlebury. Dlague you aren't too far from me from what I get from your posts

spiderpig

In the hope that they do monitor sites like this - I just wanted to add how bitterly disappointed I am because this was the "perfect" card for me as I generally ski many different areas in a season (geographically).

Only 2 of my usual spots were on the list (Smuggs and Jay) but I would have ventured into Ow'ls head on my annual Canadian trip, Gore on the way up or down from Canada, I always wanted to try out Whiteface (they give fairly good discounts and promos at the Boston show) and this year I would have attempted MRG! That's still only 6 mountains but I would have made it work if the card was still reasonably priced given as mentioned before, these are not day trip mountains for the likes of my kind coming from NYC!

I even considered the M.A.X. Pass for that reason (and not just because it's a cool name :razz:)!

Anyone know how much the early bird price for the M.A.X. Pass was this year?...that will inform my stalking prowess for next season. It's currently $719 until midnight tonight.

Thanks!
It was only down to $699.

http://m.ski.curbed.com/archives/2015/03/max-pass-ski-challenges-vail.php

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

dlague

The Foxx 44 Ski Card does not seem to be selling as fast as in years past - wonder why?

wtcobb

Best deals in the card besides the Saturday tour stops are (because of Sundays):

Jay Peak 2 for 1 Sun-Fri
Waterville 2 for 1 Sun-Fri
Windham 2 for 1 Sun-Fri

The are several other 2 for 1 midweek for Sugarbush, Crotched, Cranmore (pending), Ragged and Shawnee Peak

I bought early and got the free ticket to "a very large NH or VT mountain." I imagine Wildcat (2K vertical). They now have a "mid-smaller mountain" ticket with purchase - my guess would be Ragged.