• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 2/14 Valentine's Day Storm Discussion Thread

Birdman829

Snowing like a bastard here in Burlington. UVM did indeed cancel effective at 12 noon today (I feel bad for the few friends who had to go to morning classes). I'm guessing maybe 8 inches on the ground right now but it's really started to pick up.

In the words of the great Carl Spackler, "I don't think the heavy stuff is gonna come down for a while"

caddy01.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
Just heard the forecast. Water to snow ratio is WAY high...meaning that 1" of rain is yielding 15-20" of snow! :eek: :eek: With that ratio, and the forecast of 1-2" of melted precip, we are talking snow totals between 15-30" by the time this thing is over, at least according to Fairbanks Museum!!!! :eek: :eek:

FRITOLAYGUY

Here in SNE all i have is maybe a half inch of snow and pellets blasting off the windows, as usual the snow missed us which doesnt bother me much because there are no mountains around here on the shoreline but just goes to show you those forcasters have no clue what they are predicting even 12hours out.

takeahike46er

About a foot of snow here in Saratoga. The 12 o'clock news had reports from the NWS of 18" of snow in Herkimer County (Southern Adirondacks). Gore should be picking up a ton of snow out of this! With all their glades open, anyone who has not had a chance to ski Gore should really take this opportunity to check it out. Its glades are among THE best.

ChileMass

About a foot of snow here in Saratoga. The 12 o'clock news had reports from the NWS of 18" of snow in Herkimer County (Southern Adirondacks). Gore should be picking up a ton of snow out of this! With all their glades open, anyone who has not had a chance to ski Gore should really take this opportunity to check it out. Its glades are among THE best.

Just spoke to my brother in Albany who says it's snowing hard there. "It looks like the end of the world" was his exact quote - yippee! :):):)

castlerock

Quick lunch break, check work email

Sugarbush 12:39PM, Puking outside 18"+ already at the bottom, Had a phenomenal morning , going back out. You have to stick to the high angle stuff to move.

clenois

Love that snow to water ratio factoid, Trailboss. The powder is staying pretty dry here. We're definitely talking a foot right now and it looks like it's coming down harder.

Patrol has opened almost every trail now (102 out of 106) including tree terrain on every face. (You know those guys are having a blast out there today.) We should be 100% open for your Friday vsiit.

thetrailboss

Staff member
WCAX reported 10" at Killington and 12" at Jay before 12 noon. At 12:30, I had 7.5" at the "unofficial Trailboss stake" and it was coming down hard:

DSCN0237.JPG

DSCN0236.JPG

DSCN0238.JPG

dmc

Hunter_02-14-2007_Subaru.jpg

Just can't keep the snow off the Subby today... :-o

Greg

Staff member
Love that snow to water ratio factoid, Trailboss. The powder is staying pretty dry here. We're definitely talking a foot right now and it looks like it's coming down harder.

Patrol has opened almost every trail now (102 out of 106) including tree terrain on every face. (You know those guys are having a blast out there today.) We should be 100% open for your Friday vsiit.

Nice soft bumps on natural snow terrain? Awesome. Gonna be a classic!

Greg

Staff member
BTW, still ALL SLEET here. We're up to 20F and that the high so far for the day. Visiblity is down a bit suggesting some fine snow may be mixing in.

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
Sugarbush 12:39PM, Puking outside 18"+ already at the bottom, Had a phenomenal morning , going back out. You have to stick to the high angle stuff to move.

And it's still pounding at about 2" per hour. I just finished shoveling for the third time and there was already another 1 to 1 1/2 inches on the part of the deck where I'd started. I had a 12 foot pile of snow off the back deck and had to get down there and excavate in order to move anything more off. This is going to be insane by the time it's all over

TwinTips21

It was icing here when it was 13 degrees and turned to snow when we raised to 23 degrees. It all has to do with the effect the presence of the low has on the upper atmosphere temperatures.