• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 2/14 Valentine's Day Storm Discussion Thread

Birdman829

pffffff. I can't believe I bought into the hype in my earlier post. You guys are right. Ullr doesn't have the balls to hit us with a big storm.

thetrailboss

Staff member
This just in from the NWS:

/O.NEW.KBTV.WS.A.0002.070214T0600Z- 070215T1200Z/ ORANGE-WESTERN RUTLAND- WINDSOR-EASTERN RUTLAND- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...BRADFORD...RANDOLPH... RUTLAND... SPRINGFIELD...WHITE RIVER JUNCTION...EAST WALLINGFORD... KILLINGTON 407 AM EST MON FEB 12 2007

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY MORNING FOR SOUTH CENTRAL SECTIONS OF VERMONT. THIS INCLUDES THE VERMONT COUNTIES OF ORANGE...RUTLAND...AND WINDSOR.

SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 INCHES OR GREATER ARE EXPECTED LATE TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH EARLY THURSDAY MORNING. THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL IS EXPECTED TO OCCUR DURING THE DAY AND EARLY EVENING HOURS ON WEDNESDAY...WHEN SNOWFALL RATES COULD EXCEED AN INCH PER HOUR WITH NEAR ZERO VISIBILITY. A PERIOD OF SLEET MAY OCCUR DURING THE AFTERNOON HOURS ON WEDNESDAY.

THE POTENTIAL EXISTS FOR A MAJOR NOR EASTER...WITH A STRONG SURFACE LOW PRESSURE AREA TRACKING EASTWARD INTO THE TENNESSEE VALLEY ON TUESDAY...AND REDEVELOPING ALONG THE MID-ATLANTIC COAST BY EARLY TUESDAY NIGHT. THIS SECONDARY LOW PRESSURE AREA WILL STRENGTHEN RAPIDLY AND REACH THE SOUTHEAST COAST OF NEW ENGLAND BY WEDNESDAY EVENING. WITH ARCTIC AIR BECOMING REESTABLISHED ACROSS THE REGION WITH A COLD FRONTAL PASSAGE THIS MORNING...INGREDIENTS WILL BE IN PLACE BY LATE TUESDAY NIGHT FOR SNOW TO DEVELOP FROM SOUTH TO NORTH ACROSS VERMONT AND NORTHERN NEW YORK. A MOIST SOUTHEAST FLOW ALOFT AND STRONG ATMOSPHERIC LIFT WILL BRING ABOUT THE POTENTIAL FOR HEAVY SNOW ACROSS SOUTH CENTRAL VERMONT DURING MUCH OF THE DAY AND EARLY EVENING HOURS ON WEDNESDAY. TRAVEL COULD BE VERY DIFFICULT DURING THIS TIME.

2knees

any of our weather guys want to chime in on the track? seems like no weather people want to go out on a limb and say what its gonna do. I keep hearing sleet mixing in as far north as southern vermont.

From Joe Fox's Single Chair Weather Blog:

"Major storm set to strike northern/central Vermont

Biggest storm, on a synoptic scale, is set to strike Mad River Glen and surrounding Vermont beginning late in the evening on Tuesday and lasting into Thursday. There will be both very heavy snow and high winds. The northern half of Vermont, the White Mountains of New Hampshire and much of the southern two thirds of Maine look to be in the storms sweet spot where total snowfall based on preliminary indications will be in the 18-36 inch range by late day Thursday. Wow !!! Coastal areas will see lots of sleet/ice and limited snowfall so don't be fooled if the forecast for Boston and New York downplays snowfall accumulations. There loss is our gain !!

I'll have a full update later today but I have to be careful not to get stricken with storm attention deficit disorder here at work

Posted by Joshua Fox at 9:20 AM"

It's often pretty MRG specific, but he's very thorough, and I'm looking forward to his full update. Check it out at http://madriverglenweather.blogspot.com

highpeaksdrifter

Copied from a post by Freeheelwilly @ SKIADK

1STcall.jpg

BLESS

I 'll be heading up to Jackson NH on Tues night! Getting excited, however, most people's linls tend to talk about vermont........any info on the Attitash, Sunday River areas? THANKS! KEEPING FINGERS CROSSED.

NHpowderhound

Why are you guys getting me all jacked up? I am going to Jay Peak tuesday late morning and skiing w-fri. I'm trying not to get my hopes too high but the potential of 2-3 feet of snow is a hard thing for a powder skier not to get excited about.

((*
*))NHPH

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
Why are you guys getting me all jacked up? I am going to Jay Peak tuesday late morning and skiing w-fri. I'm trying not to get my hopes too high but the potential of 2-3 feet of snow is a hard thing for a powder skier not to get excited about.
((*
*))NHPH

Dude, as a powder skier, your time has finally come. JP on 2-3 feet of fresh will be awesome. Enjoy!