• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 2/14 Valentine's Day Storm Discussion Thread

thetrailboss

Staff member
The latest:

/O.CAN.KBTV.HS.W.0001.000000T0000Z- 070215T1200Z/ /O.NEW.KBTV.BZ.W. 0001.070214T0939Z-070215T1200Z/ ORANGE- WESTERN RUTLAND-WINDSOR-EASTERN RUTLAND- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF... BRADFORD...RANDOLPH...RUTLAND... SPRINGFIELD...WHITE RIVER JUNCTION... EAST WALLINGFORD... KILLINGTON 439 AM EST WED FEB 14 2007

...HEAVY SNOW WARNING IS CANCELLED... ...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST THURSDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD WARNING FOR RUTLAND...WINDSOR...AND ORANGE COUNTIES IN SOUTH CENTRAL VERMONT...EFFECTIVE UNTIL 7 AM EST THURSDAY. THE BLIZZARD WARNING REPLACES THE HEAVY SNOW WARNING PREVIOUSLY IN EFFECT.

SNOW WILL CONTINUE ACROSS SOUTH CENTRAL VERMONT AND WILL BE HEAVY AT TIMES THIS AFTERNOON AND THIS EVENING. IN ADDITION...SLEET MAY MIX IN AT TIMES AS WELL. TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 12 TO 24 INCHES ARE EXPECTED BY EARLY THURSDAY MORNING. NORTH WINDS WILL ALSO BE INCREASING THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT...RESULTING IN SIGNIFICANT BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW AND BLIZZARD CONDITIONS AS WINDS GUST TO 35 MPH OR SLIGHTLY HIGHER AT TIMES. NEAR ZERO VISIBILITY IN HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW...COMBINED WITH VERY COLD TEMPERATURES...WILL RESULT IN VERY HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.

THIS IS A DANGEROUS WINTER WEATHER SITUATION! BE AWARE THAT TRAVEL WILL BECOME INCREASINGLY DIFFICULT ACROSS RUTLAND...WINDSOR...AND ORANGE COUNTIES IN VERMONT DUE TO DEVELOPING BLIZZARD CONDITIONS...WITH HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW BY AFTERNOON.

hammer

Had some sleet near the MA/NH border earlier...seeing moderate snow now. Not much on the ground yet, maybe an inch or two.

I don't mind lower accumulations at home if it snows where it counts...

Greg

Staff member
13 degrees and sleet is pounding on the front of the house right now (NE facing). Crazy!

powderfreak

KBTV 141154Z 34006KT 1/4SM +SN VV002 M17/M19 A3007 RMK AO2 SLP191 *SNINCR 1/10*
4/010 P0007 60022 70022 T11671194 11156 21167 58014=

To read what you need to know...on the 14th, at 1054z (554am) there was
light snow with 3/4 statute miles visibility. Temp is minus 17C and
dewpoint is minus 19C...SNINCR 1/9 (I put ** around it) means snow
increasing rapidly, 1" last hour, 9" on the ground (started with 5" I believe).

Then, at 1154z/654am there was heavy snow with another inch in the last
hour, 10" now on the ground.

I'll call it SN/+SN right now...1"/hr.

Took a new measurement at 7am...

2:00am...snow increases beyond flurries
4:00am...1.5" in two hours.
7:00am...4.25" in five hours.

Adding up real quick...I'm going to try to do hourly measurements depending
on my commitments today...have another area of the board I'll wipe clean
each hour while keeping the other half "as it lies."

Pics:

Plowing the neighbors...
http://tinyurl.com/yntjww
Parking area...
http://tinyurl.com/2ygozb
Front End Loaders are roaming the streets of Burlington this morning...
http://tinyurl.com/yob6eg
http://tinyurl.com/2yvaws
City awakens to Snow.
http://tinyurl.com/264um8

-Scott

thetrailboss

Staff member
So I am home right now...law school is closing early. I have plenty of sh%^ that needs to be done around here....so staying home is a good decision.

It is coming down right now....we have about 4-6 inches on the ground already. That is probably the most we have gotten from a storm in the last two seasons!!! So we are already breaking the 'norm' for the past two seasons. Roads are really bad and are said to be getting worse. Oh yeah....Dartmouth College is CLOSED due to the weather. :blink:

dmc

It's good base making snow here in the Catskills...
Very fine and laying very dense...
I'll be out later when the storm starts to throttle up.

powderfreak

So I am home right now...law school is closing early. I have plenty of sh%^ that needs to be done around here....so staying home is a good decision.

It is coming down right now....we have about 4-6 inches on the ground already. That is probably the most we have gotten from a storm in the last two seasons!!! So we are already breaking the 'norm' for the past two seasons. Roads are really bad and are said to be getting worse. Oh yeah....Dartmouth College is CLOSED due to the weather. :blink:

I'm waiting to see if UVM will close officially...many professors are deciding it on their own (got to stay home with the kids, live a half hour or more away, etc) and just embracing the storm. Last time UVM officially closed was March 6, 2001.

clenois

5-6 inches here at the base of the mountain. Very soft powder, I tried to make a snowball and couldn't.Patrol is telling me an extra inch or two more at the summit. Plows are definitely doing their job on the roads. Latest weather is saying 13-19" more throughout the day and 4-6" overnight.

Chris
Mount Snow

loafer89

We have meterological vomit here in Coventry with a mix of Freezing rain, sleet and snow with about 4" or so of white stuff on the ground. The sleet woke me up at about 4am as it was coming down really hard.

It's cold at 18F so hopefully we do not get freezing rain.

Greg

Staff member
5-6 inches here at the base of the mountain. Very soft powder, I tried to make a snowball and couldn't.Patrol is telling me an extra inch or two more at the summit. Plows are definitely doing their job on the roads. Latest weather is saying 13-19" more throughout the day and 4-6" overnight.

Chris
Mount Snow

Chris Lenois from Mount Snow reports 5" of powdery snow. Things are setting up well for the gathering on Friday.

Ha! Great minds think alike! :beer:

Chris - any pics?

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm waiting to see if UVM will close officially...many professors are deciding it on their own (got to stay home with the kids, live a half hour or more away, etc) and just embracing the storm. Last time UVM officially closed was March 6, 2001.

I remember that storm...we got 24-30 inches at Middlebury. I had to snowshoe down to shovel out my car. And the college public affairs office caught me in the act :wink: I don't know what happened to those pics.

powderfreak

8am obs from Downtown Burlington
:
Temp...5.0F
RH...82%
Wind...variable 5mph (my wind isn't very reliable)

New Snow Last 1 Hour...2.0"
Storm Total Since 2am...6.25"

snoseek

2 in. and still all snow for Dover. Going to buy a 12-9 ticket at gunstock, hopefully no mix in there.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com

TrailBoss will appreciate the magnitude of this one...
Lyndon Institute AND St. J Academy are both closed today :-o