• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 2/14 Valentine's Day Storm Discussion Thread

thetrailboss

Staff member
Heavy snow at 10:20 am. Picking up now. We have 5.5 inches at my unofficial stake...as you can see below. It is cold. No mixed sh%^ at all.

DSCN0234.JPG

DSCN0233.JPG

DSCN0001.JPG

I am 30 miles east of Killington, 35 miles NW of Sunapee, and 70 miles south of Burke.

Greg

Staff member
Looks like some really heavy precip is about to move into the Catskills/Southern ADKs/Western New England:

bgm_None_anim.gif

thetrailboss

Staff member
Nice radar clip, Greg. As you can see, the radar indicates that there is a solid block of cold air sitting over New England and the moisture is running into it. It is all snow here, but further south that warm air is getting in there.

And FWIW the track is sending the moisture from the S into VT right up good old I-91. So shadowing from the Whites is minimal right now for N-VT.

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
Yes, it's started to pick up in a serious way here. I can't do anything but guess at this point, but I'm sure we're north of a foot already.

I've received about six calls this morning of this nature, "Hi, I'd like to make a reservation for this weekend..." Way, way late at this point. What really cracked me up is that after I told one guy that we had no rooms, he said, "So how is the weather looking for this weekend? Do you guys have any snow?" Dude, what planet do you live on?

thetrailboss

Staff member

More confirmation that, at this point, the snow is coming up from due S which means that interior sections are getting it! No shadowing for the NEK at this point....the moisture is riding right up the Conn. River Valley...much like the Hurricane of '38 (IIRC).

This just means that places like Jay may get screwed because Killington, Stowe, 'Bush, and the rest of the Greens are eating their lunch. Jay gets the moisture from the W, NW, N, NE but south it is at the end of the chain of Green Mtns.

JimG.

Staff member
5-6 inches here at the base of the mountain. Very soft powder, I tried to make a snowball and couldn't.Patrol is telling me an extra inch or two more at the summit. Plows are definitely doing their job on the roads. Latest weather is saying 13-19" more throughout the day and 4-6" overnight.

Chris
Mount Snow

Thursday is going to be great, but so is Friday. Stoked!!

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Here in the north dirty jerz- the only schools that are open amid the Ice Storm warning are my law school and my girlfriends law school. WTF. Anyway...hopefully all of you northerners remember where the "take a picture" button on your camera is...those of us stuck down here need some stoke.

We're neighbors. :)

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
You know, you can really see what a fine line it is between getting screwed and getting the storm of your dreams. Just slightly south and CT, RI, LI, etc., would be getting hammered (like last year's Valentine's Day Storm) while up here in Vermont we'd get very little. But just to the north, at, say, Tremblant, it doesn't look like they'll get anything.

Greg

Staff member
The front of my house faces almost exactly NE. It sounds like it's being sandblasted...

JimG.

Staff member
There are going to be epic conditions for at least 4-5 days from this storm depending on where you look :spin:

I'll be out Fri-Mon.

Friday at Mt. Snow looking good so far. Haven't been there after a storm in years. It's gonna be good.

Northeast slopes of Catskills getting pounded, good for Hunter trips Sat-Mon. More than a few woods shots ought to be skiable. Sweet.

And the MRV is getting the brunt of this one so far...good for my trip there in 3 weeks.

So this storm is a beauty by all my standards even if it's farting sleet at my house. Hey, less shoveling for me after work.

loafer89

The front of my house faces almost exactly NE. It sounds like it's being sandblasted...

Same here except that we are mixing with snow from time to time. I wonder what driving will be like.

About 4-5" of white stuff on the ground.

Ski Diva

Website
www.skidiva.com
LOTS of snow out there right now and still coming down here in Plymouth, VT. Must be about 6" at least, near as I can tell from my window.

Tomorrow should be incredible!!!!!

Zand

Wow, it's actually snowing now. Temp is 12, wind chill is -10, winds are sustained at 25-30, gusting to 40.

frozencorn

Heavy snow at 10:20 am. Picking up now. We have 5.5 inches at my unofficial stake...as you can see below. It is cold. No mixed sh%^ at all.

DSCN0234.JPG

DSCN0233.JPG

DSCN0001.JPG

I am 30 miles east of Killington, 35 miles NW of Sunapee, and 70 miles south of Burke.

Took friday off, day before I head to Florida for work, and will make my way to Killington. This couldn't be more sweet right now.

Zand

NOW we have a storm. Visibility is under 1/4 mile and the snow is coming down. Let's hope it stays snow now.