• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 2/14 Valentine's Day Storm Discussion Thread

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Just heard on WCAX that the State of Vermont has pretty much declared a snow emergency...all non-essential travel is prohibited and all commercial trucks are being forced to stop travel on the highways. In my life, I have NEVER seen them do that before.

Yea...just heard that on the radio, I too have never seen something like this. Like you guys have been saying it's windy out there now. Alot of employees are staying tonight at the Sugarbush Inn.

Does everyone think the roads will be ok for going up tomorrow at around 3 (meaning i will be hitting vt at around 6)?
The latest weather report I heard is that the snow is supposed to basically stop by morning but it will remain windy. Call 1-800-ICY-ROAD for up to the minute road conditions for any road or area in Vermont you might be driving to.

Last edited:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com

Waterbury, Vermont - February 14, 2007
Vermont Emergency Management is asking all Vermonters to stay off the roads unless travel is absolutely necessary.
Road conditions are nearly impassable. Cars are barely making headway even on major routes like Shelburne Road. T
he state of Vermont has issued an emergency travel advisory. Authorities say if you don't have to travel tonight, stay at home. And all tractor trailers have now been ordered off the interstates and all state roads.
Forty plainclothes state troopers have been ordered to reinforce the uniformed division in patrolling roads and helping motorists.
There have been no reports of power outages or serious injuries as a result of the blizzard.
Essex, Warren and Clinton Counties in New York have all declared a state of emergency.

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=6088280

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
funny thing happened today when i was heading up to burke. visibility was so bad, i accidentally took the off ramp instead of the on ramp on I-91 on an exit i have taken hundreds of times before. i realized my error pretty quickly before any issues, i decided to take route 5 instead after that incident. aside from the snow falling faster than the plows can handle it, visibility is seriously compromised. even if it stops snowing tomorrow, the blowing snow from the wind will still be an issue for travel.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
funny thing happened today when i was heading up to burke. visibility was so bad, i accidentally took the off ramp instead of the on ramp on I-91 on an exit i have taken hundreds of times before. i realized my error pretty quickly before any issues, i decided to take route 5 instead after that incident. aside from the snow falling faster than the plows can handle it, visibility is seriously compromised. even if it stops snowing tomorrow, the blowing snow from the wind will still be an issue for travel.

River... Where was the best snow? I'm thinking Wildnerness to Caveman or Throbulator for dawn patrol in the morning. I am also curious about Jungle. Any recommendations?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
NEK, tough choice tomorrow. one factor you may want to consider is getting in some powder on an open trail. jungle would present a pretty cool opportunity to get a long and sick tree shot (powder was particularly deep in Jungle and Birches but Jungle got well played... should be completely refilled by tomorrow morning). while also getting a huge hit of pleasantly steep high speed powder charging on willoughby. the dumps into the east bowl give you a run out situation. dixieland is the longest glade off that side, i did it twice including a run at about 3:15 that was primo with all other tracks filled in. high speed pillows, baby. caveman looked like it had more tracks looking up from the bottom, but i think caveman has a more consistent pitch compared to dixie which has a few flats spots and traverses. check your PMs for some additional dirt and recommendations ;)

thebigo

It took us over 7 hours to drive home from killington to exeter nh last night. On a normal day it is 2 hours door to door. There is an insane amount of snow at killington, trip report to come later.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Warren/Waitsfield vt

Too much snow....I don't think so....lol
valstorm2.jpg

Greg

Staff member
I grabbed yesterday's Intellicast loop. Enjoy:

bgm.gif

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
48 inches at the top at Sugarbush.

I'm still shoveling today. Finally got the car out of what had turned into a snowbank. Got all the decks cleared. Cut an access tunnel (yes, tunnel) through to the hot tub access panel and shut-off. I still need to cut a tunnel to the wood pile (should have brought more inside--doh!) and we've got some five foot drifts near where people parked last night that will need to be plowed. The landscape out there is surreal. Filled with things that look like terrain features, or buried trees (only I know the ground underneath is flat). The back deck, at twelve feet looks like it's at ground level.

Wow.

Greg

Staff member
48 inches at the top at Sugarbush.

I'm still shoveling today. Finally got the car out of what had turned into a snowbank. Got all the decks cleared. Cut an access tunnel (yes, tunnel) through to the hot tub access panel and shut-off. I still need to cut a tunnel to the wood pile (should have brought more inside--doh!) and we've got some five foot drifts near where people parked last night that will need to be plowed. The landscape out there is surreal. Filled with things that look like terrain features, or buried trees (only I know the ground underneath is flat). The back deck, at twelve feet looks like it's at ground level.

Wow.

Pics man, pics!

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
Pics man, pics!

There is no hill under either of those snowbanks. The ground is level all along there. My kids have had a blast playing in the snow. They're chomping at the bit to go skiing with the school tomorrow, although I told them the school would probably keep them to groomers so they didn't get in (literally) over their heads.