• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Health care in our county the USA is so fuckked up wtf insurance doctors cancer no cu

ScottySkis

Thanks all for good wishes.

I put by accident a lot of what happened at mount Sinia hospital in subject . My dads MS has done it course over past dozen years. His last ski year was over a decade ago. He uses mostly wheel chair ands has now energy or strength basically on one side. He still mostly uppy his gf of last 20 years has been an excellent step mom and sinfant other. Basicly because of his conditions he was admitted day early . we knew in march he had c in his pprosite early but progressive. He can't have radtion because if ms. So they schedule this over 2 weeks ago take off time 2 days before surgery for wasted day to hospital my dad and his gf said. Hospital not good .6 am survey schedule we also take off in morning by aunt uncle his gf going to hospital and gat a call from my dad be eating breakfast because they didn't look at stress test which was in folder and on xoxmpuer file and talked about buy their doctor didn't look. Is probably have to wait another long time so it can spread. My dad OK with worse possible outcome be doesn't want or do well on travel outside the house which even worse in the warm days.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Am I reading correct that it's prostate cancer?

I wish your father the best. My own father had prostate cancer at 60. He had it removed along with several future surgeries to "repair the plumbing", but is cancer free today at 69.

I hope your dad has a similar outcome and his MS does not progress further.

All the best Scotty

Geoff

Most Docs want to be employed, until they find out what being " employed" by a corporation means to their view of practice.

I have many MD friends who at first loved the notion of being an employee of one of the local hospital based healthcare groups, with essentially the same $$ and less managerial responsibility, just to find that the often loss of autonomy was beyond frustrating

I don't understand the career path choice for a newly minted GP or Pediatrician at a hospital-owned medical center. They usually have massive debt, don't get paid a helluva lot considering all the years of training, and it's a repetitive production line environment. If you have the talent to get admitted to a Medical School, there are far easier ways to earn that kind of money where you start earning it sooner without all that education debt.

deadheadskier

Staff member
A love of medicine and desire to help others?

Obviously being a surgeon or specializing in other areas of medicine has the largest earning potential, but some people in the field prefer family practice.

My doctor is 40ish years old, has a stay at home wife and a modest ski condo up at Sugarbush.

Sounds pretty comfortable to me.

He almost took one of the tuition discount programs to work at a critical access hospital in Northern Maine, but wanted to practice in the area he grew up.

Warp Daddy

Scotty first of all i am sorry to hear of your dad's situation . Just getting that message is always daunting . DHS is right on target , , today with approriate treatment and the advances in medicine , what formerly might have been considered miraculous cures are happening . One of my friends was diagnosed 10 yrs ago , underwent surgury and treated and today at 80 he is a magnificent skier . I have. 2 other friends both still skiers who are also prostate cancer surrvivors and they are 82 and have a high quality of life

Stay positive Scotty , it will be the best medicine for your dad. Continue to be there for him ..

all the best ,

Warp

Warp Daddy

Most Docs want to be employed, until they find out what being " employed" by a corporation means to their view of practice.

I have many MD friends who at first loved the notion of being an employee of one of the local hospital based healthcare groups, with essentially the same $$ and less managerial responsibility, just to find that the often loss of autonomy was beyond frustrating[/QUOTE

IT is always about trade offs Doc , there is no ideal .

You want a life , a guaranteed salary and "freedom " from oft crushing overhead , staffing expense , capital expenses , debt service expenses and beaucoup call back schedule demands for admitting with little risk management , then THIS is why the "new kids on the block " opt for employment rather than private practice . This TREND has been accellerating now for several years , it is not without problems . Even some senior level higly experienced and well known docs have crossed over lately . Its a tough environment and a difficult business in which to make decent margin . We as you know cannot withhold service and the amt of charity care is increasing as the economy and insurance industry denial mgt practices continue to calcify .

What the employed docs do have to achieve however is ultimately covering their "share " of the indirect costs after a reasonable period .in establishing their practice ., for many that is 2/3 yrs down the pike

ScottySkis

Spoke to dad yesterday. Still waiting for new appointment for another round at it. Again thanks everyone for well wishes. Family found out doctors had plane to catch on day of the surgery and couldn't look a head didn't realize so that why they canceled so messed up so hopefully before June I hope for now well past 3 months since it was discover ed so not happy.

JimG.

Staff member
I don't understand the career path choice for a newly minted GP or Pediatrician at a hospital-owned medical center. They usually have massive debt, don't get paid a helluva lot considering all the years of training, and it's a repetitive production line environment. If you have the talent to get admitted to a Medical School, there are far easier ways to earn that kind of money where you start earning it sooner without all that education debt.

My father was a pediatrician in the days of house calls.

He wanted me to become a doctor also but came to realize in later years that medicine had changed. He sold his private practice to a group and worked for them for 20 years. He would laugh and tell me he would have sold out sooner if he knew he would get bonuses and paid twice as much as when he was independent. He was always proud of being a doctor, it defined his being. That has changed also.

He admitted to me before he passed that he was glad I decided against medicine, that it is not what it was when he practiced. His kind of doctor is extinct now. We are in alot more trouble regarding healthcare than we imagine, politics aside.

ScottySkis

Dads cancer surgery after veery very long day was successful few months ago. He been tested several times for PSA levels been low. Just very low amount of cancer keeping at bay.

Since I found he had Cancer my anxiety got worse and so did the depression. Started anti anxiety pills which are working just half make sure I don't drink to much caffeine. Wellburton for depression hopefully it works I due anything medical as acceptable to I due all the medicines. Only been 2 weeks now for Wellburton so to early to know. Been on SRRI Before 4 different ones that never helped. Stay ing way from Mary and alcohol while on these medicines.
Thanks everyone who posted in this thread and who have been through any horrible disease. Also thanks for ski fun times.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tin

Happy to hear about your pops Scotty.

I've seen Wellbutrin be a true miracle drug. So many off label uses as well, known as the "happy, horny, skinny, smoke-free" drug. Good call about avoiding the booze, that combo can lower your seizure threshold. SSRIs have their uses but are way over prescribed in my honest opinion. From a neuro research perspective, SSRIs for depression is like taking your daily multi vitamin. Some people are successful but we have no idea why and the full role serotonin plays.

ScottySkis

Cancer and Ms tottally sucks.
we need to fine cures for all these dieases ASAP
The last few weeks my dad was in hospice care
we had talking about great memories his last concious day
His last day my sister was thier
he waited sevarl hours with all us surroning him
he took his last breath when no one was by him i belive on purpose out of love for us
he is skiing with Warren Miller now
if any one wants to make donations
https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Donate
https://tischms.formstack.com/forms/support_copy-v3
https://hospiceofrockland.org//giving/donate

My dad will be my hero forever he well loved and 41 people showed up at his funeral.:oops:

Last edited:

Warp Daddy

Scotty so sorry to hear of your dad's passing . You were a good son and know that his spirit will be with you and can shine brightly through you as you live your life . Remember the good times and honor his memory .

Wishing you all the best ,
Warp