• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Health care in our county the USA is so fuckked up wtf insurance doctors cancer no cu

ScottySkis

Cancer sucks
Ms sucks to
Wish we can cure all horrible illness out there

Last edited:

skiNEwhere

Health care in our county the USA is so fuckked up wtf insurance doctors canc...

Hope all goes well Scotty.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Working yes . no c for me now my dad has it.

Quite a 2x4 to the head when you hear those words, it can be frustrating when your not feeling well .

Medicine has come a long way ,My Cancer in 1994 had 7-9 yrs survival then pffft...gone.
20 yrs this past December. New treatments coming out all the time , Good luck to him .
never give up.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
Inspirational Bob.

My uncle got a 3-12 month diagnosis on his esophageal cancer and made it 5.5 years before passing in March.

Medicine is progressing in amazing ways. The money grubbing insurance companies are still an issue though.

Best of luck to you and your dad Scotty

Cornhead

Good luck to you both Scott. Cancer is an insidious disease, my Sister succumbed to Cancer treatment at 38. Did anyone see the 60 Minutes episode on the use of a genetically engineered strain of the Polio virus used to successfully
treat brain Cancer? Basically enables the body's immune system to fight the Cancer. Very cool.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I did see that episode. They are also using a variation of the HIV virus in trials. Crazy that two of the scariest diseases of the past 100 years are now being used in cancer treatment.

The real breakthroughs are in genetic mapping and customized therapies. We are probably still decades away from a "cure", but the progress is there.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I did see that episode. They are also using a variation of the HIV virus in trials. Crazy that two of the scariest diseases of the past 100 years are now being used in cancer treatment.

The real breakthroughs are in genetic mapping and customized therapies. We are probably still decades away from a "cure", but the progress is there.

Add to that Ricin , a deadly KGB poison. Was used in Bone marrow transplant process.

Scotty I used to travel to Suffern NY for IV vitamin C treatments.
My docs in Boston told me in the beginning I might go three years before I needed Chemo,
They were accurate with there prediction as 2 1/2 years in my cancer level in my Bone marrow was up to 40%
They scheduled my next appt 3 months out.

My wife read about a doctor that had been treating a patient with my type of cancer with high doses of vitamin C.
I went to see him and started doing treatments. Went back to Boston for my appointment and my doctor was puzzled that my cancer was half of what it was 3 months earlier.
My bone marrow level dropped to 15% then 0 six months later!
Over the years I went there I saw a kiosk appear. With brochures encouraging complementary medicine

I managed to go 8 yrs without Chemo , in that time a Monoclonal antibody treatment was available and worked well.
Don't be afraid to complement what doctors are doing. My mother in law was given 6 months to live 22 yrs ago.
She did high doses of vitamin C orally . She was doing 10k , I could only manage 3
My IV 's were up to 50k

drjeff

The all too unfortunate reality in healthcare in this Affordable Care Act world we live in, is the level of BS regulatory red tape that has been created in an effort to "fix" a system that was working pretty well for more people than not is mind bogglingly frustrating for both healthcare providers and patients alike - that's what you get when more lawyers and staffers rather than healthcare providers write a 2000+ page bill with subsequently added 1000's of more regulations

deadheadskier

Staff member
It has its issues, but the latest numbers I'm seeing are 16+ million people have signed up for the program. That number climbs every day. It's not perfect, but it's a step in the right direction nationally.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
It has its issues, but the latest numbers I'm seeing are 16+ million people have signed up for the program. That number climbs every day. It's not perfect, but it's a step in the right direction nationally.

I have 2 friends who lost there Insurance as a result of the AHCA ,I'm sure that statistic is buried somewhere.
The new law makes it extremely difficult for the independent Docs to continue , herding them into groups.
The governments long term goal is Single payer system . I have no faith in the ablilty of Government to improve the system .

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sorry to hear about your friends. I have not met anyone who has lost coverage. I've met some who have had their rates go up. I know many many people who are self employed and have insurance for the first time in their lives.

It's not a perfect system, but those against it offer only to abolish it, not improve it.

Access to affordable health insurance should be a basic civil right.......just like the rest of the 1st world nations figured out long ago.

The consolidation of doctors started LONG before ACA.

Geoff

I have 2 friends who lost there Insurance as a result of the AHCA ,I'm sure that statistic is buried somewhere.
The new law makes it extremely difficult for the independent Docs to continue , herding them into groups.
The governments long term goal is Single payer system . I have no faith in the ablilty of Government to improve the system .

The only way independent physicians can make it is to refuse Medicaid and Medicare patients. All the group practices had to sell themselves to hospital groups. Unless the bill comes from a hospital, doctors lose money on every Medicaid patient they see and barely break even on Medicare patients.

I think "insurance" needs to be 100% risk-based. Young, healthy people should have dirt cheap insurance because they're low risk. Right now, young people just getting started are getting screwed subsidizing older, unhealthy people. I think people who can't afford private insurance because their risk is too high should be able to participate in a single payer system with means-tested premiums, deductibles, and co-pays. We can then have the rational discussion about how to ration the single payer system and how much we're willing to pay for it. It will never happen because those who benefit from the status quo will scream about death panels.

Warp Daddy

The Aca has made it extremely difficult for rural and small community and small city hospitals to have a positive margin . The regulatory creep and the denial management practices of many insurance companies only exacerbate the situation .

That said , coverage hasbeen extended to many and pre existing conditions no longer legally can be a barrier to coverage.

Moreover , it IS the law of the land andi have YET to hear any substantive methodolgies offered as replacemnt . Oh the PACS make noise but offer little in the way of progress ONLY repeal , no alternative plan . So it is white noise and U nlikely to to do much morethan tinker aroundthe edges of policy.

Reality i have yet to see any politician with the will to offer reasonable alternatives NOR face the wrath of those who under any repeal attempt would lose personal coverage ,

As a 22 yr hospital board member and board officer who has receuited physicians , the culture for physicians changed several years ago .

DOCS want to be employed now. The " new generation " DOC no longer wants t o assume either the overhead nor the time committments that the MARK WELBY generation practitioners did . This phenomena is NOT limited to the medical profession . Many institutions most notably higher education , nonprofits and other industries have been morphing as a result of teh cultural mores of the "New Generation Workforce "

Quietman

Moreover , it IS the law of the land andi have YET to hear any substantive methodolgies offered as replacemnt . Oh the PACS make noise but offer little in the way of progress ONLY repeal , no alternative plan . So it is white noise and U nlikely to to do much morethan tinker aroundthe edges of policy.

That's what I keep saying, if you don't like it, propose something better!!

drjeff

The Aca has made it extremely difficult for rural and small community and small city hospitals to have a positive margin . The regulatory creep and the denial management practices of many insurance companies only exacerbate the situation .

That said , coverage hasbeen extended to many and pre existing conditions no longer legally can be a barrier to coverage.

Reality i have yet to see any politician with the will to offer reasonable alternatives NOR face the wrath of those who under any repeal attempt would lose personal coverage ,

As a 22 yr hospital board member and board officer who has receuited physicians , the culture for physicians changed several years ago .

DOCS want to be employed now. The " new generation " DOC no longer wants t o assume either the overhead nor the time committments that the MARK WELBY generation practitioners did . This phenomena is NOT limited to the medical profession . Many institutions most notably higher education , nonprofits and other industries have been morphing as a result of teh cultural mores of the "New Generation Workforce "

Most Docs want to be employed, until they find out what being " employed" by a corporation means to their view of practice.

I have many MD friends who at first loved the notion of being an employee of one of the local hospital based healthcare groups, with essentially the same $$ and less managerial responsibility, just to find that the often loss of autonomy was beyond frustrating

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
That's what I keep saying, if you don't like it, propose something better!!

Yes ! A certain amount of the population has no insurance , deal with those people , don't replace the whole system.

An ROTC type program were education is free and the physcians are committed to a time frame of service.

VA program is not a good model.

deadheadskier

Staff member
There are already programs that reimburse doctors some of the cost of their education if they agree to working in certain geographic locations for a set period of time.

My understanding is that the real challenge resulting in doctor shortages is the lack of available residencies.