• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whaleback Mountain Updates

deadheadskier

Staff member
My thoughts on more lifts is that means more maintenance and more overhead to run them. I felt the same when they put the T Bar in. If the new lift takes away money that could be spent on improved snowmaking, then it seems wasteful.

I try to get there once a season to support the place. Place rules on Saturday powder days.

Newpylong

The stated need is to open early season on less snow. However if the snowmaking was in better shape, it becomes a moot point and they'd be able to get the chair open in the same amount of time.

We tried doing this with the T-Bar and it did not pan out as expected.

skiur

Most snowboarders have a extremely difficult time riding surface lifts.

thebigo

It may have more to do with race training than has been considered here. Burke and Cannon t-bars come to mind.
To my knowledge whaleback had not run a race program in a couple years. There were rumors but not aware of one running this year.

Newpylong

It's not run by the mountain itself but the schools/clubs who have a lot of sway and could have even paid for it themselves.

thebigo

Two open slalom races a year with $80 entrance fee cannot possibly pay for any kind of lift. You mentioned burke and FSC, two of the most prestigious race programs in the east. Don't know much about burke but assume they have deep pocketed donors. FSC runs a pile of races a year to fund their venue. FSC race parents work something around 6 - 9 races on top of heavy fees.

I know nothing about the upper valley high school race programs. Certainly possible they pay for it? I don't know?

Last edited:

drjeff

Two open slalom races a year with $80 entrance fee cannot possibly pay for any kind of lift. You mentioned burke and FSC, two of the most prestigious race programs in the east. Don't know much about burke but assume they have deep pocketed donors. FSC runs a pile of races a year to fund their venue. FSC race parents work something around 6 - 9 races on top of heavy fees.

I know nothing about the upper valley high school race programs. Certainly possible they pay for it? I don't know?
They do also host, or atleast last season hosted multiple weekends of college club level races, and have a weeknight beer league race series.

I will say that having attened one of my daughters college club races there last Winter, for a small hill that is more on the competitve map for their mogul program than racing, I was impressed with the event that they put on (dual panel slalom with pro style jumps when I was there). So they atleast have a few, dedicated folks, that can certainly put on a quality gate event, even if they may not have an actaully USSSA/NHARA team

deadheadskier

Staff member
Got this email tonight

Dear Friends of Whaleback Mountain,

We recently announced the exciting news that we have been awarded a federal grant through the Northern Borders Regional Commission and the United States Department of Agriculture to improve and increase our snowmaking capacity. This $100,000 grant requires Whaleback to raise matching funds. We have already raised $80,000 and have $20,000 left to reach our full match. In this season of giving I am asking you to consider making a gift today to help us reach this end-of-the-year goal.

Please click this link to donate now or send a check to:

Upper Valley Snowsports Foundation, dba Whaleback Mountain

160 Whaleback Mountain Rd.

Enfield, NH 03748

deadheadskier

Staff member
So does that mean they'll have $200k to spend on snowmaking?

Wonder how it gets spent and how noticeable the improvements will be. Obviously not a lot of equipment, but they ain't got a lot to begin with.

Newpylong

Yes. Another pump, more power, more onhill gear. It should be the biggest snowmaking upgrade they've ever done, so doubling the amount of water on the hill. It's a wish list we had since 2013. I just hope they know figure out how to use it effectively.

They did install around 8 automated Demac EOS 4.0 towers on Spout this year and they had way more snow than I expected after this deluge. That place spends so much time and labor moving gear around stuff like that will make all the difference in the world.

I can honestly say it appears they are really starting to turn the corner and attribute that to having steady year round paid management and not a revolving door.

drjeff

Definitely going to get a day or 2 in at the Whale this year. My daughter's college ski team has 2 race weekends there on their schedule this season