• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whaleback Mountain Updates

Savemeasammy

The bumps were skied in pretty well today for the comp tomorrow
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1456009210.252830.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Keelhauled

My god that background is depressing. Kudos to Whaleback's' snow makers, I know they don't have much to work with but they've done a great job this year.

MEtoVTSkier

Wow, that's crazy to not see any snow on the ground at all going by Whaleback. Thank God they have the snowmaking that they have to keep in operation.

jack97

bump....

Anyone know if the seeded course is still there? I don't care if it has burn out in the troughs, my rock skis has seen enough action this year a couple of more hits isn't going to make any difference.

Keelhauled

They sent out an email today saying they'll be open this weekend. Gotta think that'll be the end. Feels like April out there, I was in Lebanon today and my truck thermometer said 51. Can't imagine they've got the snow to survive much of that. Forecast next week is throwing around numbers like 60 for Wednesday and Thursday. I have a feeling they're gonna be needing donations in a bad way this summer...

Savemeasammy

bump....

Anyone know if the seeded course is still there? I don't care if it has burn out in the troughs, my rock skis has seen enough action this year a couple of more hits isn't going to make any difference.

The troughs were boiler, not dirt. They were in the same spot where the race league sets up gates... Oh well, they were fun for a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Newpylong

They sent out an email today saying they'll be open this weekend. Gotta think that'll be the end. Feels like April out there, I was in Lebanon today and my truck thermometer said 51. Can't imagine they've got the snow to survive much of that. Forecast next week is throwing around numbers like 60 for Wednesday and Thursday. I have a feeling they're gonna be needing donations in a bad way this summer...

Yep this weekend will be it. They made as much snow as possible in that -18 stretch to build reserves and still have a pile they are taking from as required.

This winter was a total bummer. Great staff, great marketing, better operations, much better customer service. In a normal snow year they would be close if not break even. That hasn't happened in a long time.

Last edited:

Los

Yep this weekend will be it. They made as much snow as possible in that -18 stretch to build reserves and still have a pile they are taking from as required.

This winter was a total bummer. Great staff, great marketing, better operations, much better customer service. In a normal snow year they would be close if not break even. That hasn't happened in a long time.

I bought a midweek season pass and was only able to use it twice (tried a third time but took one run on what had become a single sheet of ice and called it quits). It's not their fault I wasn't able to use it more, and they definitely tried their best despite the weather. Having said that, I'm hoping they'll make a little gesture to season pass holders. Like a couple of vouchers for next season or something. Just sayin'...

deadheadskier

Staff member
What's on the wish list for next summer. I heard the pumphouse is a concern. Yes / No? Any pipe replacement or new(ish) guns?

Whaleback-Mountain

Website
www.whaleback.com
Good morning AZ,

This winter certainly has been challenging for community-supported mountains like Whaleback and the industry in general. I see a couple of recent questions/comments so I wanted to chime in.

Whaleback made snow for a total of 470 hours this season, and we only had 1.5 routes to show for it. In a "normal" year we spend 400-450 hours and we get the entire East Side open plus Face. This year was difficult in that all of our limited capacity was spent resurfacing rather than expanding. We had to full-depth resurface everything twice (some areas 3 times) after our initial opening due to being fully washed out. Our system runs optimally in the single digit temperatures, which this year were hard to come by. We made the questionable choice to run full bore through the arctic days of 2/13-14 because we knew this was going to be our last shot at sustained optimal snowmaking conditions. It turned out to be the correct decision, as without this effort we would have closed last week. We hope to make it to this weekend and then call it quits.

As you might expect, day tickets are down considerably, as in non-existent this year. Due to streamlined operations and changes in management made prior to this season, we have been able to cancel out some revenue loss but as for all non-profit entities – fundraising will of course be crucial to our continued operations and improvements for this upcoming year.

As to the wishlist ie Capital Improvements, it will be very similar to what it has been for the past few years. We critically need additional water and air capacity, and one of our highest priorities is restoring the lower West Side of the mountain ie the old Poma area. The snowmaking system is “well aged” (it came from King Ridge and it was old when they closed). We have done just about everything we can to band-aid but at this point we really need to make some purchases. As for the old Poma area, our core stakeholders are ski teams and novices, and being able to offer both of these groups a dedicated area is very important to us for many more reasons than I can list here.

I hope this answers some questions – would be happy to go into more detail on some items if requested.

PS – LOS can you please send me a private message with your contact information?

Whaleback-Mountain

Website
www.whaleback.com
Hi AZ, I am posting an update and some illustrations should anyone be interested what is going on over here. Thanks!

UVSSF Message to Whaleback Community

5/12/2016

As we look forward to the upcoming season, the Whaleback Board of Directors and senior management have been evaluating the past, and Whaleback operations as a whole. This season truly revealed where our weaknesses were, many of which have been known for some time. Since the formation of UVSSF in 2013, there has been an extensive plan to raise funds in order to make capital improvements. To date we have raised $1,030,000 with an ultimate goal of $2,400,000. Had we been successful in raising this entire amount we are confident that our entire snowmaking system would have been modernized and Whaleback would be in a different place today.

Unfortunately that has not been the case, and as an organization, and a business, we are at a crossroads. Something must be done in order to preserve Whaleback not only for this generation, but the next. In order for that to happen, Whaleback must become sustainable, and this cannot be delayed. Through industry and demographic changes Whaleback has moved from being a “ski area” to a non-profit community supported recreational facility with far less skier visits. Operating such a facility with outdated equipment, given our weather, is risky and truly challenging.

UVSSF has crafted a plan to immediately bring Whaleback closer to operational and financial sustainability. This plan not only will offer a better product to our community and stakeholders, but will give Whaleback the ability to offer a full season of skiing and riding in a winter like the one we just suffered through. This plan revolves around the procurement and installation of a surface lift on the West side of the mountain where one previously existed. This lift will serve lower mountain terrain of all abilities. The trail pod will give us the ability to use our existing snowmaking system with modest improvements to consistently open on time, if not earlier in most years. It will also offer some redundancy should a mechanical problem arise with the chairlift. Furthermore, it will give our stakeholders the ability to get on snow and train at Whaleback earlier while at the same time offer expanded novice terrain that we truly lack. This area will have a dedicated early season snowmaking loop using mostly existing infrastructure, improved lighting and trail improvements. Finally, the existing Learning Center will be reconfigured for additional space and a gradient that will be more favorable to true beginners.

In a “normal” winter, once we have early season terrain open on this lift, we will progress to the upper mountain per our traditional schedule. We are confident that had this lift been in service this season, we would have been able to offer an entire season and adequate terrain for our school groups, clubs, race league and the public. We need the “insurance” this new trail pod provides so we can endure another winter like this one. Whaleback must be prepared to survive. Once this strategy has been implemented, and the business has stabilized, we will begin the long process of working towards the ultimate goal of rebuilding the snowmaking system, among other necessary improvements. Having a stable business beneath our feet allows us to do this with more confidence and incrementally on our own timeline as funding allows.

To that end, we are happy to report that we will once again have some exciting fundraising opportunities this off season to move us towards implementing this plan. As the details are solidified in the following weeks, we look forward to sharing this news with all of you. Please stay tuned and be ready to join us on this exciting, yet hopefully short journey in strengthening Whaleback Mountain, a true gem that we are all so lucky to be part of.

Sincerely,

The Upper Valley Snow Sports Foundation

whalebacktrailmap_Learning_Area_Existing.jpg
whalebacktrailmap_Learning_Area_Public_Proposed.jpg

Whaleback-Mountain

Website
www.whaleback.com
Now for the good news:

Dear Whaleback Friends,

Two weeks ago we mentioned we would be sharing news with all of you about exciting upcoming fundraising opportunities. Without further ado:

As you know, the 2015–2016 winter was a particularly challenging one for northeastern ski areas. Thanks to your contributions of time, money, work, and resources, along with revenue from season passes, programs and lift ticket sales, Whaleback was able to stay afloat in our non-profit business model. This is a place where you count.

What we learned from this winter is that we need a fallback plan for when El Niño comes again, or whenever we have limited snowmaking weather. We need to be able to make snow on a reduced amount of acreage, using our existing snowmaking, in marginal conditions, in a short amount of time so that we can guarantee something will be open for our community, our after-school programs, our race groups, our camps and lessons. We also want to get you gliding, sliding, carving and whooshing your way down Whaleback starting earlier in December, not January!

2016 Summer Challenge

With your help, we will add a used surface lift on the lower West Side of the mountain, where one previously existed. The existing Learning Center will be reconfigured. We will also install a dedicated snowmaking loop using mostly existing infrastructure and improve the lighting on Lower Face, Blubber and Lower Ivory, all this summer & fall. This will reduce the acreage required to open from the current 25 acres to just 5 acres, meaning that we can open in 3 days of optimal temps, rather than the current 10 days it requires. This will allow us to get on snow earlier in the year and remain open throughout a terrible winter such as the one we just endured.
To accomplish this we need to raise $100,000 from the community by June 30th, 2016, in order to receive the (drumroll, please!) $200,000 Challenge Grant pledged by a pool of Whaleback supporters! Your $100,000 will cover the cost of the surface lift and installation; the $200,000 from the Challenge Grant will cover improvements to snowmaking, new lighting, required summer maintenance to the chairlift, needed machinery repairs, upkeep, operating expenses, etc.

That's right, 2:1 Match for Every Dollar of Your Gift

For every $1 you give, $2 will be released immediately from the Challenge Grant and put to work ensuring December skiing and riding. Your gift must arrive by June 30th to count toward the 2:1 Match, so don't delay! A $500 gift has $1,500 impact—wow! Click and donate! http://whaleback.com/donation

We will routinely keep everyone up to date with how the challenge is progressing.

Thank you, The UVSSF Board

Whaleback-Mountain

Website
www.whaleback.com
Hi AZ, please see below:

Dear Whaleback Friends,

A few weeks ago we gave you a taste of the work that is in progress on the West Side Project. For those of you who have not had the chance to see the pictures or to come see for yourself, we have taken some (very amateur) video to give you a better idea.

Click the following link to watch:
https://vimeo.com/172181578#t=NaNs

As of right now we have raised $20K out of our challenge goal of $100K. We are overjoyed at the contributions so far. This project will allow Whaleback to offer expanded learning and training facilities, get on snow earlier in the year, and remain open throughout a terrible winter such as the one we just endured. These are all critical elements to the sustainability of Whaleback.

Please consider a tax-free donation to ensure that the West Side project is completed and Whaleback is preserved for generations to come: http://www.whaleback.com/donation. Remember, for every $1 we receive in donations, we receive $2 in matching challenge funds.

For detailed information on the project and fundraising challenge please visit http://www.whaleback.com

Have a great weekend,

The UVSSF Board

Whaleback-Mountain

Website
www.whaleback.com
Dear Whale Friends,

We have several important updates for you!
• Through many generous donations we were able to raise $56,310 out of our goal of $100,000!
• Realizing how critical the West Side Project is to the 2016-2017 season, our Challenge donors and UVSSF have mutually agreed to extend the Fundraising Challenge until July 31st!
• We have taken advantage of an incredible deal and proceeded with the purchase of the used T-Bar lift! When we started this challenge we told you that your donations would go towards this and they are.
Though the majority of the project work is going to be done in-house by our staff, the cost of the lift installation is going to vastly exceed the cost of the actual lift. This is why reaching our goal is so important - the lift will not go in if we cannot hit our mark.

We want you to be part of this, and it cannot happen without you. We know we can hit our goal, we are over halfway there!

Please consider making a tax deductible donation to your community mountain and help UVSSF continue to provide a safe, affordable and convenient snow experience for children, families and individuals. Donations can be made online at www.whaleback.com/donation or by mailing your gift to UVSSF, 160 Whaleback Mountain Road, Enfield, NH 03748.

Thank you in advance for your help.

-The Whaleback Crew