• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whaleback Mountain Updates

Tin

keep-calm-and-release-the-kraken-135.png

Whaleback-Mountain

Website
www.whaleback.com
Good morning AZ,

Season passes are now on sale for the 2016-2017 ski season. Benefits to pass holders are huge, including big day ticket discounts at
Killington, Sunapee, and new for this year Magic Mountain (under new ownership), etc. A full list of benefits can be found here: http://www.whaleback.com/season-pass-benefits/

We also are going to be offering night tickets to pass holders from ANY mountain for only $20 this year. We also have partnered with numerous discount programs including the popular Ride and Ski NE card.

Our trail map has been updated to reflect the new West Side Learning and Training center and the new glade (Kraken - name was chosen through voting) has been added: http://www.whaleback.com/trail-map/

We are also making a substantial investment in snowmaking equipment (purchase of 10 HKD Impulse tripods and Lease to buy 2 Demarc-Lenko Titan 2 fans) to help us make more snow in marginal temperatures.

We have Tramway approval and have begun the relocation and retrofit of the Magic Carpet and Handle/Platter tows. We anticipate approval for T-bar installation this month. Snowmaking loop is complete and testing is underway.

dlague

Good morning AZ,

Season passes are now on sale for the 2016-2017 ski season. Benefits to pass holders are huge, including big day ticket discounts at
Killington, Sunapee, and new for this year Magic Mountain (under new ownership), etc. A full list of benefits can be found here: http://www.whaleback.com/season-pass-benefits/

We also are going to be offering night tickets to pass holders from ANY mountain for only $20 this year. We also have partnered with numerous discount programs including the popular Ride and Ski NE card.

Our trail map has been updated to reflect the new West Side Learning and Training center and the new glade (Kraken - name was chosen through voting) has been added: http://www.whaleback.com/trail-map/

We are also making a substantial investment in snowmaking equipment (purchase of 10 HKD Impulse tripods and Lease to buy 2 Demarc-Lenko Titan 2 fans) to help us make more snow in marginal temperatures.

We have Tramway approval and have begun the relocation and retrofit of the Magic Carpet and Handle/Platter tows. We anticipate approval for T-bar installation this month. Snowmaking loop is complete and testing is underway.

I see the Military Pass no longer include veterans! Just the disabled variety!

MEtoVTSkier

Whaleback deals:

[h=3]$20 Deals[/h]Last 2 hours any day, flat rate for all ages
Sunday Mornings until 12:30, flat rate for all ages
[h=3]2-for-Tuesday[/h]Buy a ticket and get the second free (of same or lesser value)! Not valid during holiday periods.
[h=3]Wednesday Harpoon Humpday Happy Hour[/h]From 5:00 to 6:30p.m. enjoy $2.50 Harpoon drafts in the pub.

See ya on Wednesdays! :beer:

:thumbup:

JamaicaMan

Great to be working with Whaleback and getting a crack at the Kraken!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dlague

I'd interpret retired military as anyone that served in the military period...

Significant difference! I understand the confusion but Honorably Discharged Veterans vs Retired Military is a distinction that carries a different level of respect and recognition. Would not want to equate a 4 year commitment to a 20 + year dedication.

cdskier

Significant difference! I understand the confusion but Honorably Discharged Veterans vs Retired Military is a distinction that carries a different level of respect and recognition. Would not want to equate a 4 year commitment to a 20 + year dedication.

I suppose it depends whether the person that wrote that on the website was military or not then in that case. To an outsider (like myself), we wouldn't have thought twice about there being a difference (although my own personal choice of wording had I wrote it would have simply been "veterans" instead of "retired military" assuming that is what they were going for). MEtoVTSkier was thinking the same way as me too it seems.

Also, someone please tell me I'm not going crazy. I thought there were more posts in this thread after mine when I looked late this morning...

Whaleback-Mountain

Website
www.whaleback.com
Apologies for the confusion - that page has not been fully updated yet with this year's specialty passes.

The 2016-2017 Military Pass is for Active Duty service members and their families only. The language will be updated soon.

hammer

I'd interpret retired military as anyone that served in the military period...

I'd also distinguish a veteran who served in combat...no way do I compare the almost 6 years I was in the military in a stateside desk job to those who have served in Iraq or Afghanistan...

dlague

I'd also distinguish a veteran who served in combat...no way do I compare the almost 6 years I was in the military in a stateside desk job to those who have served in Iraq or Afghanistan...

While I agree in some respects, however, if a larger engagement were to happen anyone could be dispatched. So the fact they volunteer and get Discharged Honorably I think anyone deserves to be called a veteran

MEtoVTSkier

Apologies for the confusion - that page has not been fully updated yet with this year's specialty passes.

The 2016-2017 Military Pass is for Active Duty service members and their families only. The language will be updated soon.

Very disappointing that you are not including ALL Veterans, ESPECIALLY the Disabled Veterans.

Consider the fact that Whaleback has partnered up with Killington for mutual benefits, and Killington provides ALL Veterans with a Complimentary Express Card, Which keeps mid-week skiing somewhat affordable for those Veterans living on a fixed income.

Free Express Cards for Military
  • Active Duty, Retired and Honorably Discharged members of the U.S. Military are eligible for a FREE Express Card, plus free skiing on Veteran's Day.

steamboat1

Very disappointing that you are not including ALL Veterans, ESPECIALLY the Disabled Veterans.

Consider the fact that Whaleback has partnered up with Killington for mutual benefits, and Killington provides ALL Veterans with a Complimentary Express Card, Which keeps mid-week skiing somewhat affordable for those Veterans living on a fixed income.
I believe Killington also offered a free nights lodging on Veterans Day to all Veterans last season in addition to free skiing.

MEtoVTSkier

Yes, they did, but I think it got cancelled due to lack of snow last year. Hopefully they try it again. Quite a few Vets would be very appreciative. I've got Family in Plymouth, so I'm all set on the lodging dept.

hammer

While I agree in some respects, however, if a larger engagement were to happen anyone could be dispatched. So the fact they volunteer and get Discharged Honorably I think anyone deserves to be called a veteran
There was one time I took advantage of a Veteran's discount (free tickets at Attitash) but otherwise I don't bother.

Whaleback-Mountain

Website
www.whaleback.com

It's all been considered. Rest assured we appreciate ALL military service, past and present - there are several Veteran Whaleback Directors that set policy. The fact of the matter is in the past two years zero (0) veterans (disabled or other) took advantage of the pass even though they were eligible. What we did receive through customer feedback is that active service members wish they could get their family on their pass, so that is what we are doing for this year. We have direct data showing it would be utilized vs nothing on the veteran side.

There is no correlation between what Killington does vs us. Yes we have some mutual benefits, but they have their special passes, and we have ours. They have different demographics than us, they have different volume than us. No one partner need be locked in to match the other. Furthermore, skiing and riding at Whaleback is already so cheap, and there are already so many ways to get further discounts (or free tickets.)

Last edited: