• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nashoba to host Summmer Olympics Events and the ski area did not even know about it.

Puck it

Nashoba Valley Ski Area Named as Venue in Olympic Bid
Nashoba Valley Ski Area's owner has yet to be contacted about hosting Olympic events.
Thursday, June 4, 2015, NewEnglandSkiIndustry.com
[FONT=Georgia, Arial] In a document recently released by Boston Magazine, Nashoba Valley Ski Area was named as the Mountain Bike and Canoe Slalom venue for the 2024 Boston Olympic bid.

According to WestfordCAT News this week, Nashoba Valley Ski Area owner Al Fletcher was unaware of the proposed use for his property, and had "not had any conversations with any credible people." The Boston 2024 Overall Games Concept issued on December 1, 2014 claims, "[w]e are currently discussing venue access and use with the owner."

Similar issues have occurred in Brookline and Dorchester, where owners town officials had not been contacted by the Boston 2024 group.

Referred to as "Westford Ski Area" in the concept document, the Mountain Bike course would be constructed on the ski trails at a cost of $10 million and would have a capacity of 10,000. The Canoe Slalom course would be constructed at the snow tubing venue for a cost of $50 million and would have a capacity of 15,000. Construction would begin in January 2021 and wrap up in January of 2024. Venue costs are estimated at $500 thousand.

Nashoba Valley operates year round with a popular ski area, snow tubing area, a Halloween venue, music festivals, camps, and restaurant.
[/FONT]

thetrailboss

Staff member
That's interesting. I highly doubt that Boston will get the games. They could not handle the 2004 DNC without shutting down half the city.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I used to be 100% against the idea. I've done a complete 180. Massachusetts transportation infrastructure is so inadequate for the population of people that live there. Billions need to be spent on roads and rail. If the Olympics help address that, sign me up. Sorry MA taxpayers. :lol:

thetrailboss

Staff member
I used to be 100% against the idea. I've done a complete 180. Massachusetts transportation infrastructure is so inadequate for the population of people that live there. Billions need to be spent on roads and rail. If the Olympics help address that, sign me up. Sorry MA taxpayers. :lol:

:lol: Good point!

Bostonian

no No NO NOOOO... I live 8 minutes from the mighty Nashoba and that is the last thing this area needs. Also the Olympics are not going to funnel billions needed on roads and other infrastructure... It is a huge nightmare, which I would rather see go elsewhere. It would seem infrastructure improvements would be made to the immediate venues and not eastern Mass. Can you imagine the amount of people and traffic trying to get through Crosby's Corner on Route 2 alone!

Jully

I just can't imagine the slopes of Nashoba being outfitted with the capacity to contain 10,000 people. I personally find that hilarious.

Also, mountain biking at Nashoba? Seems a tad sad

rtjcbrown

$50 million on a canoe slalom? Really?

Talk about a waste of money.

I could easily do it for $45 millon

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hey if Nashoba is a venue perhaps 495 gets upgraded to a five lane highway like it needs to be. :stirpot:

granite

The cost overruns for an Olympics in Boston would make the cost overruns for the big dig look like chump change.

dlague

Those tunnels will be a nightmare if the Olympics come. Canoe Slalom - do they make shit up for the Olympics!

Domeskier

I might rent my apartment out too, but only because it would otherwise be empty while I camped out for the canoe slalom finals!

benski

Those tunnels will be a nightmare if the Olympics come. Canoe Slalom - do they make shit up for the Olympics!
I thought the same thing. I just looked up a video of canoe slalom and it looks awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Edd

Short of Star Trek transporters coming to fruition, Boston's infrastructure looks to be fucked until the Atlantic rises and swallows it whole.

Angus

I used to be 100% against the idea. I've done a complete 180. Massachusetts transportation infrastructure is so inadequate for the population of people that live there.

Excuse me sir, have you heard of the MBTA?