• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Appalachian Trail speed record broken today

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
"This time, he capped each night with one or two beers and left from rest stops with rainbow-colored Spree candy, Three Musketeers chocolate bars and bacon in his pockets"
No wonder he needed a nap.

"Jurek incurred a $500 fine and public outrage for opening champagne at the summit of Mount Katahdin in Maine during his record run."
- I don't remember public outrage against Jurek but more against park officials.

ironhippy

- I don't remember public outrage against Jurek but more against park officials.

yeah they used him to point out that they don't want more people in the park, Baxter State Park is odd because of the way it is set up, the administration seems to resent people going there.

He was fined for littering, although the only "litter" was literally the champaign, he picked up the cork.
They claimed he was hiking with "too big of a group", however it wasn't his "group" it was a bunch of fans that waited for him and decided to hike with him.

Interestingly enough, some girl has claimed to already beaten the new record, however she has no real proof as she didn't think it was "required".

https://gearjunkie.com/kaiha-bertollini-breaks-appalachian-trail-record-2016

bigbog

yeah they used him to point out that they don't want more people in the park, Baxter State Park is odd because of the way it is set up, the administration seems to resent people going there.....

It certainly is bizarre...they(State Politicians) just resent any and all the people..other than fellow polititians...whose behavior(ie enjoyment of life) they can't control.....along with resisting ideas/change that would bring in more $$$ to state coffers. Has always had me scratching my head. Too many very old thinking buzzards and young interested only in their beachfront properties have been in state government and in charge of things hundreds of miles from the state capital.

Think you nailed it SBSP. Rosie sure created a template....

Last edited: