• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Appalachian Trail speed record broken today

skiNEwhere

That director Bissell seems really bitter and like he's trying to go out of his way to rain on his parade.

So what if he has corporate sponsorship? The cost of all the gear and supplies was probably in the low thousands.

“The race vehicle used to support Scott in his run, as well as Scott’s headband, clearly displays these corporate sponsors. The sponsors are providing money and equipment to support Scott’s run in exchange for advertisement and engagement that they expect will protect or increase their market share and improve their profits. … When Scott arrived at Baxter Park to complete his run at the northern terminus of the Appalachian Trail, he brought all of this to Baxter Peak, in Maine’s largest wilderness.”
The Facebook message was unsigned, but Bissell said on Thursday that he wrote it.

Wow. Drama. Were the two former lovers?

dlague

Bissell said Jurek and the corporate sponsorship that helped carry him to the record are anathema to the vision of the park set out by former Gov. Percival Baxter, whose 1931 donation of land and funding has made the park what it is today.

This is such a crock of shit! Problem with those people who run parks - they blow stuff out of proportion. Who cares about sponsorship! Champagne on the ground is littering? Finally because more then 12 people were there at one time to celebrate his accomplishment he gets the summons. I am sorry but that park ranger and people like him are pure assholes!

JimG.

Staff member
That director Bissell seems really bitter and like he's trying to go out of his way to rain on his parade.

So what if he has corporate sponsorship? The cost of all the gear and supplies was probably in the low thousands.

Wow. Drama. Were the two former lovers?

lol...teenage girl drama.

bigbog

All I read out of the article was that "some officials" of BSP...representing BSP? BSP belongs to the people of the state, not to some governmental authority. When it comes to goals for the future of the AT, some of these lower salaried people should hardly be addressed as an important official representing BSP. Those types often develop very strange sets of priorities and inflate their own status when interviewed. Some of Maine's State Gov't attitudes were...and some still are just slightly left of prohibition...imho.

Last edited:

dlague

All I read out of the article was that "some officials" of BSP...representing BSP? BSP belongs to the people of the state, not to some governmental authority. When it comes to goals for the future of the AT, some of these lower salaried people should hardly be addressed as an important official representing BSP. Those types often develop very strange sets of priorities and inflate their own status when interviewed. Some of Maine's State Gov't attitudes were...and some still are just slightly left of prohibition...imho.

+100

freeski

Fine for more than 12 people? Fine for champagne on the ground are you kidding me?
Maine, maybe not the way life should be. I congratulate the guy on his record. I don't even like to fly that far.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
After reading many of the comments on Facebook and on Jurek's blog it seems most people view him as an inspiration but at the same time there are a few that view him as a corporate whore. Seems you can't please everybody no matter what you do.

Scruffy

For those of you that backpack or have ever done part of the AT, or just have an interest in it: I just finished a good book "AWOL on Appalachian Trail"

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
That is an interesting article. Some things I didn't know about Baxter. Still Mr Caverly exaggerates when he says things like "a hundred camera people. So what it really boils down to is that the group was registered - any additional folks at the top were not part of that group. Additionally - ONE PERSON - ASKED PERMISSION to bring champagne and it was granted. So when people pop off with statements that make it sound like there was some big loud obnoxious parade going up the mountain I can only shake my head.

ironhippy

i've been up there when thru hikers finish (not someone beating a record, just random smelly people at the end of the trail)

Everyone (thru hikers and day hikers) would gather around and cheer them on as they came up the hill and they all took pictures of the finishes.

I don't believe the situation was unique to Jurek, probably more people than normal, but every weekend it's a bit of a party when people finish. Baxter probably hates that, but I think it would take really cranky hiker to not enjoy it.