• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter Forecast 2015-2016

Was looking to get up to Vt on 12/21 and 22 as part of a Christmas present for my son (he gets to bring a friend). Was hoping for a good word on next Monday's and Tuesday's weather, but it sounds like even snow making may be out. Drat

This place seems to have the most weather talk I can understand as it relates to skiing-this forum is why I joined the board. Would you cancel plans based on the weather?

Meant to say the tickets are comps for all 3 of us and it does not look like I will have another chance to use them this winter if that makes any difference. Would be ok with early season conditions especially as it is midweek, but not ok with bleak.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Was looking to get up to Vt on 12/21 and 22 as part of a Christmas present for my son (he gets to bring a friend). Was hoping for a good word on next Monday's and Tuesday's weather, but it sounds like even snow making may be out. Drat

This place seems to have the most weather talk I can understand as it relates to skiing-this forum is why I joined the board. Would you cancel plans based on the weather?

Not a chance. 2 days at Mount Snow this weekend. It's my latest first day in years, and I got new skis, and I'm getting some "big mountain" skiing done before "work" (ski instructing) keeps me on the bunny hill for two and a half months :)

It's not terrible either. One intermediate and two beginner trails down from the top. Guns will be blasting the whole weekend, mixing things up, and maybe an inch or two of natural snow.

I'm ready...and desperate.

Yeah desperation is part of it. I have not even seen a snowflake float through the air yet this year.

Was sure I would be able to use my comps at Sugarbush, Smuggs and Stowe, but it is not looking likely.

Good news is I got my season pass in the mail, Sierra at Lake Tahoe and I hope to see a lot of the mountains on the Powder Alliance.

drjeff

Not a chance. 2 days at Mount Snow this weekend. It's my latest first day in years, and I got new skis, and I'm getting some "big mountain" skiing done before "work" (ski instructing) keeps me on the bunny hill for two and a half months :)

It's not terrible either. One intermediate and two beginner trails down from the top. Guns will be blasting the whole weekend, mixing things up, and maybe an inch or two of natural snow.

I'm ready...and desperate.

Hopefully 2 trails off the summit this weekend!! They lost Cascade today as well as Little John (Long John is still "alive" but per the base area webcam they're going to have to find and push some snow onto the small section of Lower Exhibition they're using to get you back to the Bluebird, and there were equally sketchy areas on other parts of Long John during my last run about lunchtime on Sunday :eek: ) Depending on when the snowmaking temps arrive on Friday and how quickly they hopefully get into "good" range, there is a distinct possibility that come Saturday AM, they won't have any top to bottom routes and will just be spinning Canyon Quad and The Heavy Metal Double!!!

If they can't get some SOLID production during what looks to be a 48-60hr window from Friday into Monday and later next week is as warm as they're thinking it could be right now, well frankly I don't want to think about what that could mean for Mount Snow during Christmas week :eek: :eek: :eek:

I don't care how potent a snowmaking system is, when you're looking at a few weeks with roughly 2 days of OK snowmaking temps and 5 days of warm with some rain each week, plus often ground that isn't frozen, its not pretty :eek:

steamboat1

Nope, I cancelled plans for tomorrow through Fri. & I'm now planning for next Mon. through Wed. Being you have comp tickets why wouldn't you go?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Doc, Take me back to Feb. 22nd, 1969

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• doc.jpg
    doc.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 212
  • bttf a.jpg
    bttf a.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 212

drjeff

The Euro for Christmas day is just plain unbelievably crazy!!

Basically has a summertime Bermuda High set up in the classical location pumping heat Northeast with air at the 5000 ft level just South of Long Island at 65 degrees, which if you use the typically rule of thumb where for every 1000 feet in altitude you take off 5 degrees, would have air with 80 degree plus potential (obviously much cooler sea surface temps of the Atlantic would modify that a but as you get down towards sea level) just South of New England!!! Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dlague

Friends of mine asked me if this weather is due to global warming. No, I said. It's a normal aberration. Sounds like an oxymoron but it's true. Check out this list. http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=357

Funny thing is Those are all times where snow making is no where near the capacity we have today and this year technically tops that at least in terms of the start. If not as much investment went into snow making there would be very little open today in the east this season so far.