• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter Forecast 2015-2016

SkiingInABlueDream

I haven't been out since mid-December (non-weather factors working against me).
But I'm just curious, how does this winter so far compare against 2011-2012? I haven't been paying too much attention but it seems worse?

Tin

I haven't been out since mid-December (non-weather factors working against me).
But I'm just curious, how does this winter so far compare against 2011-2012? I haven't been paying too much attention but it seems worse?

Not sure on up to date but I recall 2012 had some epic upslope starting this time of year. I remember the end of February gave Stowe-Jay 3-4' of snow in a 48 hour span and was of the best skiing I've ever experienced.

Puck it

Not sure on up to date but I recall 2012 had some epic upslope starting this time of year. I remember the end of February gave Stowe-Jay 3-4' of snow in a 48 hour span and was of the best skiing I've ever experienced.
You call what you do skiing. Wow.

BenedictGomez

I'm feeling good about February once this warm week clears out.

cfs-avg_z500a5d_us_2.png

cfs-avg_z500a5d_us_3.png

cfs-avg_z500a5d_us_4.png

cfs-avg_z500a5d_us_5.png

dlague

Agreed. From what I recall, the biggest difference is 2011/2012 had a lot of rain and thaw/freeze cycles events where this year it's more a lack of precipitation and stupid warm average temperatures.

I agree!

Our yard never had snow except for the Halloween event that season. This season - well it is looking very brown but that was just something that happened two days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dlague

I think there will be drop in trail counts where natural trails were opened with thin coverage.

Smellytele

Agreed. From what I recall, the biggest difference is 2011/2012 had a lot of rain and thaw/freeze cycles events where this year it's more a lack of precipitation and stupid warm average temperatures.

I believe 2011/12 had one good storm late Feb or very early March and that was about it. Also the Halloween storm.

hammer

I believe 2011/12 had one good storm late Feb or very early March and that was about it. Also the Halloween storm.
Some may have enjoyed the early skiing but the Halloween storm left us without power for 4 days (and others for much longer than that).

I'm looking to get out a week from Thursday but unfortunately so far I don't see a refresh after this week's storm.

I'm hopeful that we will get at least one decent sized storm but the chances of a season recovery are fading fast...

dlague

Some may have enjoyed the early skiing but the Halloween storm left us without power for 4 days (and others for much longer than that).

I'm looking to get out a week from Thursday but unfortunately so far I don't see a refresh after this week's storm.

I'm hopeful that we will get at least one decent sized storm but the chances of a season recovery are fading fast...

We lost power too but skied Killington anyways.

snoseek

Well the ridge is finally setting up for a week or two out here so maybe thats a sign that things will improve a bit back east.

Went through this last year....sucked. Past 300 ytd this year so things are averaging themselves back out i guess.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

mriceyman

Well the ridge is finally setting up for a week or two out here so maybe thats a sign that things will improve a bit back east.

Went through this last year....sucked. Past 300 ytd this year so things are averaging themselves back out i guess.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

Seems like its been either you or us to get the goods.. Anyone know if thats how it has gone over the years or is it just lining up that way recently