• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter Forecast 2015-2016

BenedictGomez

Things are starting to look better. Some things are going are way, like the Siberian snow cover looks good, and some of the bad things are "less bad" looking now.

yeggous

Things are starting to look better. Some things are going are way, like the Siberian snow cover looks good, and some of the bad things are "less bad" looking now.

Wishful thinking. I expect a roller coaster winter than trends on the warm side.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

yeggous

Freeze thaw.....freeze thaw.....puke

Yes, that tends to be what you get with these type of years. Whether you net an above or below average snowfall total is a game of chance. Either way it is unlikely to stay consistently cold.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Yes, that tends to be what you get with these type of years. Whether you net an above or below average snowfall total is a game of chance. Either way it is unlikely to stay consistently cold.

Would be curious to see if previous El Nino's had an interaction with a pool of warm water ( The Blob) off Alaska.
Or is this a previously unseen pattern?

Rowsdower

September was one of the warmest on record, globally. Although what that means locally will differ, of course, and a warm autumn doesn't necessarily mean a warm winter.

We'll see, but I'm expecting the worst so as not to be too disappointed just in case.

yeggous

It's currently dumping in North Conway. It has started to accumulate.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

There's a solid thesis I've seen that the first 1/2 of winter could be warmer than average, and the second 1/2 of winter could be colder than average.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
oct 22 2013.jpgoct 22 14.jpgoct 22 2015.jpg

For entertainment purposes Only ...IDKN ,At this time more Siberian snow than fall 2013. Interesting swath of snow in Canada.

On the Entomalogical front saw a huge Boxelder bug hatch today. Reminds me of Winter of 93-94

slatham

https://opensnow.com/news/post/el-nino-part-3-how-will-el-nino-impact-snowfall-for-the-2015-2016-ski-season

Accuweather and Weatherbell also have good info out on the upcoming winter.

But this winter is a tough call. Will a more typical El Nino pattern be in control, or will the +PDO (warm water in NE Pacific that helped the last couple of winters) and a move to a Modoki (central) El Nino change the pattern as we get to mid winter? Accuweather for one has out two scenarios and has not made a call on which one they think will prevail.

But there is solid consensus that November is warm in the East (some, like weatherbell, have had this forecast out for some time now).

JimG.

Staff member
IMO a warm November is not bad...often leads to a cold and snowy second half of the season.

Far superior to a warm January.