• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter Forecast 2015-2016

BenedictGomez

November is here, which means one thing.

You can now actually start to pay attention to winter 2015-2016 forecasts as possibly having some hints of accuracy, as opposed to solely existing to drive web traffic, click-throughs, and marketing dollars.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
November is here, which means one thing.

You can now actually start to pay attention to winter 2015-2016 forecasts as possibly having some hints of accuracy, as opposed to solely existing to drive web traffic, click-throughs, and marketing dollars.
giphy.gif

Rowsdower

I mean, November does look like it will come through warmer than we'd like. Will have to hope some sustained cold comes in by mid-December.

Personally, anything before mid/late January is gravy to me. Early season is always hit or miss.

BenedictGomez

Joe Cioffi's first attempt at a winter forecast is out. He's a good met and very conservative, not a hyping bomb-tossing alarmist.

I am going to lean toward the idea that the winter will make occasional appearances between now and the end of December. An early snowfall will hinge on whether the N.A.O. goes negative over the last 6 weeks of the year. If it does I think we will get a couple of chances. Otherwise we will have to wait until late December or Early January for the El Nino to weaken enough to allow the other factors to come into play. So I will forecast temperatures to average closer to normal when you net it all out with a bias toward a little below normal. Snowfall will probably be closer to normal and lower than the last 2 winters but well above the El Nino years where snowfall was very low. I also believe that unlike the last 2 winters where the cold patterns were long and unrelenting, I believe there will be more variability this winter with warmer and colder stretches of shorter duration. With regards to “the big one” we know that all it will take is one of those to throw the snowfall forecast completely out the window but I do believe there will be one or two threats that will look like “classic” threats for big events as I expect the N.A.O. to be more of a factor than in past winters. When you look at the past it is natural to expect a sub par winter since most of them actually are in one respect or another. They can’t all be cold with non stop blizzards. At this point I want to state that there is a high probability that my forecast is going to go wrong somehow on any one or all of these factors. I don’t see the practicality of providing a long range view with some many variables that even those with PHD’s have a difficult time understanding. Sure if you are a natural gas or oil trader you might want to set up trades or perhaps if your business is weather dependent you might want to take some sort of hedging strategies. But for the average person, you have to buy a coat, gloves, and a scarf and maybe chop a little less or a little more firewood. Perhaps you might top off your oil tank before a cold blast. Other than that you are stuck here. It is not as if you are going to sell your house and move for a colder than normal winter. Many of you have been asking me for a winter forecast. I do this kicking and screaming but now you have it. It will be in the archive here for anyone to pull it up and throw it back at me which every way it goes. And yes I will probably update this somewhere along the way because, as I have tried to show over the last year, forecasting is a journey and not a single event.

yeggous

http://www.weatherbell.com/

Very encouraging words from JB ! , Check out Saturday video update on the page

That dude is batshit. He just likes to hear himself speak. Yes, that is my professional opinion.

As for the winter forecast, he is correct that this a non-traditional central Pacific ENSO. That does favorite a less terrible winter for skiers. My best guess is we'll see a crazy roller coaster winter.

mriceyman

That dude is batshit. He just likes to hear himself speak. Yes, that is my professional opinion.

As for the winter forecast, he is correct that this a non-traditional central Pacific ENSO. That does favorite a less terrible winter for skiers. My best guess is we'll see a crazy roller coaster winter.

Everyone will be wishing for the cold we had last year

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dlague

Roller coaster? I really hope not. Thaw then freeze thaw then freeze really sucks. Lots of scraped off conditions develop. I just want the cold to be here.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Tin

Enough snow but lots of freeze-thaw cycles seems to be a popular theme. Learn to sharpen your own edges.

dlague

Don't know if they're officially open yet but Big Sky has 20"...:roll:

Difficult to judge by anything before January...

Heck - it is hard to judge anything in January! Just do not know what will be delivered weather wise!