• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter Forecast 2015-2016

drjeff

That seems really optimistic given the trends setting up this season. Its still early of course. Looking forward to a good February to save things as usual.

When I was in DC last week for a convention, I saw the same map that BG posted for the mid-Atlantic states that one of the local TV Mets was discussing in his "winter forecast segment. He was stressing that he DIDN'T think that this winter would have the prolonged cold like we had last year, but that the likely hood was based on models that the ingredients for a few sizeable storms would be there, especially after mid January, and as a result the chances of it being a "snowy" winter were better than average. He then said that unlike last year where once it snowed, it stayed around for a while, that this year there will more than likely be some warm storms intermixed with the cold storms to melt away some of what falls rather than piling more snow on top of multiple previous storms snowfalls. He seemed to think that the atmospheric "battleground" between the warm air to the South and the cold air from the North would tend to generally be near that region, especially during the 2nd half of the winter months

Last edited:

wtcobb

Article from AJ detailing the El Nino - new record set for average Pacific temps:

http://adventure-journal.com/2015/11/el-nino-just-broke-a-record-now-what/

download.jpg

yeggous

When I was in DC last week for a convention, I saw the same map that BG posted for the mid-Atlantic states that one of the local TV Mets was discussing in his "winter forecast segment. He was stressing that he DIDN'T think that this winter would have the prolonged cold like we had last year, but that the likely hood was based on models that the ingredients for a few sizeable storms would be there, especially after mid January, and as a result the chances of it being a "snowy" winter were better than average. He then said that unlike last year where once it snowed, it stayed around for a while, that this year there will more than likely be some warm storms intermixed with the cold storms to melt away some of what falls rather than piling more snow on top of multiple previous storms snowfalls. He seemed to think that the atmospheric "battleground" between the warm air to the South and the cold air from the North would tend to generally be near that region, especially during the 2nd half of the winter months

So another words he forecasted the climatological mean? Ballsy.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

JimG.

Staff member
If there's a lot of temperature variation it'll mean a raw, icy season, especially down here in the Poconos and Catskills. You can have an "average" year with a lot of variability.

Eastern skiers eat raw and icy for lunch.

BenedictGomez

If there's a lot of temperature variation it'll mean a raw, icy season, especially down here in the Poconos and Catskills. You can have an "average" year with a lot of variability.

The Poconos may potentially have a terrible ski season. Mixed periods of warm until mid-December than possibly a January thaw would be awful for them.

ScottySkis

The Poconos may potentially have a terrible ski season. Mixed periods of warm until mid-December than possibly a January thaw would be awful for them.

Sure who knows for really what will happen before it happens. Hoping for elk to make snow only oa place I might ski if I ski. L

skiberg

Best thing in that forecast is "Often November in El Nino years can be the opposite of how the rest of the winter goes." Keep em crossed.