• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter Forecast 2015-2016

snoseek

Its not always that way but often if the trough is in the west then the east tends to have a ridge. It was the complete opposite last year. February looks dry around here...is ok im tired of shoveling

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

jrmagic

I believe 2011/12 had one good storm late Feb or very early March and that was about it. Also the Halloween storm.

Definitely a big storm that season in Feb though I recall it being earlier than late Feb... perhaps there were no other big ones but I seem to recall that once that storm rolled in, we had good conditions for a while with several 3"-6" refills each week. In any event I'm hoping tomorrow's event doesn't hit us as bad as it looks right now and that we get some goodness thereafter.

BenedictGomez

A storm on the 9th/10th would be a boon for the resorts ahead of the Holiday weekend (which is sadly now Holiday week). Some models show a big storm, some models show an out-to-sea miss, some models show a too-far-west track that yields mostly rain. We should know more by this time on Thursday.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I believe 2011/12 had one good storm late Feb or very early March and that was about it. Also the Halloween storm.
At least that year snowmaking was viable. Ragged made a ton of snow on Showboat by January as shown in this photo.
Debris Field by Bob Misuraca, on Flickr

This past weekend there was bupkis - less than bupkis - on that trail. This photo taken two weeks ago show how bad it is.

Unpaved Showboat by Bob Misuraca, on Flickr

BenedictGomez

More snow in n.NJ & s.PA than in New England per NASA photo from a few hours ago.

Went sledding with the gf last night! Sadly, tomorrow will probably torch it all, but it's been fun.

12644942_1120948341272128_7958865835061841195_n.jpg

mriceyman

But tomorrow kiss alot of that snow goodbye

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

mriceyman

Nah man, we're getting 6 inches. Powder day atop North Ridge tomorrow! Woo woo! Face shot city! Trees for days! Who's gonna drop into Devil's Fiddle with me?!

Lol

dlague

At least that year snowmaking was viable. Ragged made a ton of snow on Showboat by January as shown in this photo.
Debris Field by Bob Misuraca, on Flickr

This past weekend there was bupkis - less than bupkis - on that trail. This photo taken two weeks ago show how bad it is.

Unpaved Showboat by Bob Misuraca, on Flickr

Too bad they make snow and make this a single fall line trail. Looks like it would be a nice double fall line.

Los

Overall, this is very depressing: http://madriverglenweather.blogspot.com/2016/02/snow-next-week-question-is-how-much.html

I've resigned myself to the likelihood that there will be no late season turnaround, and that 2015-2016 will go down as one of the worst ever for the East. What's disturbing about it is not knowing to what extent it's been caused by the inherent variability of weather patterns, or to what extent the strength of this El Nino is at all related to g----l w-----g. I'm NOT trying to bait anyone or to start a debate. I'm just saying for ME, that's what makes this season not just a disappointment, but a frightening harbinger of things to come. In short, a world without skiing, except for maybe the uber rich who can afford lift tickets at the last remaining resorts.

JimG.

Staff member
Overall, this is very depressing: http://madriverglenweather.blogspot.com/2016/02/snow-next-week-question-is-how-much.html

I've resigned myself to the likelihood that there will be no late season turnaround, and that 2015-2016 will go down as one of the worst ever for the East. What's disturbing about it is not knowing to what extent it's been caused by the inherent variability of weather patterns, or to what extent the strength of this El Nino is at all related to g----l w-----g. I'm NOT trying to bait anyone or to start a debate. I'm just saying for ME, that's what makes this season not just a disappointment, but a frightening harbinger of things to come. In short, a world without skiing, except for maybe the uber rich who can afford lift tickets at the last remaining resorts.

You said it: ONE of the worst ever. Snowless winters have happened before and will happen again.

Don't despair.

WoodCore

Please step back from the ledge and get a grip of yourself!

mriceyman

One good week can erase all the bad memories and make the 2nd half solid

prsboogie

And last season there were those saying this would be the new pattern of winters in NE. It's all cyclical and there may be SOME variation in the extremes there will be many more NORMAL NE winters in between.

VTKilarney

The realist in me says that we aren't going to get a major turnaround until at best the latter part of February. Even if we get a decent snowstorm next week, it really is just going to replace the damage that this massive thaw has done. We will be back to trails that are marginal to have open. And we will quickly be in mid-February praying for another storm to give us the snow that we really need.

As frustrating as this is, we've had a couple of great years before this year. So it's hard to complain too much.

snoseek

If youre livlihood depends on snow to come then i totally feel for you. As a recreational skier youre gonna need patience and just hope it comes as frustrating as that may be. It came in spring of 07 and maybe it will, maybe it wont. Go ride bikes, play golf or whatever your non skiing activities are. It will be ok.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk