• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter Forecast 2015-2016

4aprice

Also: 100 inch weeks are sometimes a pain because everything closes up. Ill defend sierra snow all day. When its hammering snow by the foot and you have kirkwood or squaw terrain surfy dense pow is a dream. Sometimes it comes as blower. All of december was foot and foot of blower. It is way too hot here in general though.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

Did not mean to disrespect Sierra snow at all, just tell the difference after traversing the desert between Reno and Salt Lake. Kirkwood and Squaw (In fact Tahoe in general) are on my radar for a visit in the future.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

bdfreetuna

I'm just glad to know Tahoe and the Sierras aren't stuck in a long term drought. I was hoping to go to Tahoe in the next couple years but had backed off the plans.

snoseek

Did not mean to disrespect Sierra snow at all, just tell the difference after traversing the desert between Reno and Salt Lake. Kirkwood and Squaw (In fact Tahoe in general) are on my radar for a visit in the future.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Day to day the snow surface in the wasatch is better plain and simple. The highs are higher here and the lows lower IMO. Its really hard if you try to fly in and get good snow. When its on its fantastic and really for me its more about terrain. I'll likely return back to the rockies someday because i do miss that consistency. This year there's no place I'd rather be than the SLT though.

Bene288

Day to day the snow surface in the wasatch is better plain and simple. The highs are higher here and the lows lower IMO. Its really hard if you try to fly in and get good snow. When its on its fantastic and really for me its more about terrain. I'll likely return back to the rockies someday because i do miss that consistency. This year there's no place I'd rather be than the SLT though.
I stay in Meyers at a family house. I thought the skiing was fantastic last week. Locals were complaining about the snow being either too stiff in the morning or too slushy in the afternoon, to me it was like having primo spring conditions back east. Kirkwood was the place to be. Would love to catch a powder day at that place.

Sent from my Classic using Tapatalk

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
According to the last few GFS runs, I'm gonna go from 70 degrees and sun to a potential snowstorm in 48 hours. Canadian is similar but doesn't bring the cold down far enough. Powerful cold dip and a powerful southern rainstorm are gonna meet in the northeast next Thursday-Friday. Definitely something to watch.

Los

Powerful cold dip and a powerful southern rainstorm are gonna meet in the northeast next Thursday-Friday. Definitely something to watch.

Patterns shifting?? (Sorry to steal your thunder DHS)

deadheadskier

Staff member
Haha. I'm just going with the cool kids and throwing it out there blind. Maybe someday I'll be right!. ;)

wtcobb

Just picked up almost 2" (and counting) in Franconia this morning. From bare ground to coverage in a blink. Hopefully it stays the frozen variety.

ChicoKat

Is there any validity to a pretty decent dump on Thursday night into Friday at higher elevations? Looks like the Pinkam Notch area is where the possibility lies. The models seem to be going back and forth on the snow line.

dlague

Well this blows!

March forecast

With springlike warmth surging back into the eastern United States, many are wondering if winter is over. The answer is yes in most communities.

"I believe that winter itself, the worst of winter, is over," AccuWeather Lead Long-Range Forecast Meteorologist Paul Pastelok said. "It is not uncommon for snow in spring in the Northeast, but we have turned the corner to spring."

"That is unlike the last two years when winter kept hanging on."

Last year, March averaged well below normal in the Northeast. New York City received nearly 19 inches of snow in March 2015, with the last measurable snowfall reading on March 20. The last day of measurable snow during the winter of 2014-15 in Boston was March 28.

The warmth surging into the Northeast this week will get trimmed later in the week, but the cooler air will fall well short of supporting snow. The only exception will be across northern New England.

After the mild middle of March 2016, "Temperatures will drop back to normal after March 19 for a period of a few days, but then we will warm right back up," Pastelok said.

Despite that cooldown and going forward through the rest of spring, "I do not see much in the way of snow."

Pastelok cannot rule out wet snow in the interior Northeast late in March or during the middle of April. "But, any snow event in central New England and the mid-Atlantic would be an anomaly of the pattern. These areas are pretty much done [in terms of snow]."

"However, eastern Canada and far northern New England are still at risk for snow in late March and April."

The lack of snow and cold expected elsewhere in the East is not good news for operators of ski resorts or snow removal companies but is welcome by those who look forward to spring activities.

Los

Well this blows!

March forecast

With springlike warmth surging back into the eastern United States, many are wondering if winter is over. The answer is yes in most communities.

"I believe that winter itself, the worst of winter, is over," AccuWeather Lead Long-Range Forecast Meteorologist Paul Pastelok said. "It is not uncommon for snow in spring in the Northeast, but we have turned the corner to spring."

"That is unlike the last two years when winter kept hanging on."

Last year, March averaged well below normal in the Northeast. New York City received nearly 19 inches of snow in March 2015, with the last measurable snowfall reading on March 20. The last day of measurable snow during the winter of 2014-15 in Boston was March 28.

The warmth surging into the Northeast this week will get trimmed later in the week, but the cooler air will fall well short of supporting snow. The only exception will be across northern New England.

After the mild middle of March 2016, "Temperatures will drop back to normal after March 19 for a period of a few days, but then we will warm right back up," Pastelok said.

Despite that cooldown and going forward through the rest of spring, "I do not see much in the way of snow."

Pastelok cannot rule out wet snow in the interior Northeast late in March or during the middle of April. "But, any snow event in central New England and the mid-Atlantic would be an anomaly of the pattern. These areas are pretty much done [in terms of snow]."

"However, eastern Canada and far northern New England are still at risk for snow in late March and April."

The lack of snow and cold expected elsewhere in the East is not good news for operators of ski resorts or snow removal companies but is welcome by those who look forward to spring activities.

His tone is nauseating!!

bigbog

Same happening in Plymouth NH

Is there any validity to a pretty decent dump on Thursday night into Friday at higher elevations? Looks like the Pinkam Notch area is where the possibility lies. The models seem to be going back and forth on the snow line.

Yeah, true March weather in northern New England...only the flip-flopping has been going on for practically the whole winter. Have gotten ~.5". Hope Sugarloaf picks up a little bit of either this or something down the line. Usually stays a little drier due to northward facing.

Last edited:

j law

Time to work on correcting the slice in my golf swing... Looks like a longer than average golf season starting today here in NYC.

I love golf but would pick 5 degrees and snowing anytime over golf weather.

Sent from my iPhone usin

j law

Upon reflection, I think this is 1st time in my 41 years that I didn't ski on the east coast (since I was 4 anyway).

I got 4 great days in Co which satiated me to some degree, but what a bummer!

I felt worst for my sister who was so excited to move to CT from Chicago this year and she didn't get out either!

Sent from my iPhone usin

gmcunni

According to a NOAA sponsored ENSO report, equatorial temperature anomalies in the Pacific ocean have fallen to their lowest point in the last year. That “heat content” is usually the tell tale sign if an El Niño or La Niña to come. Currently the lack thereof shows that El Niño is most likely on its way out and right now there’s a good chance we’ll see La Niña effects during the 2016/2017 ski season.

what does La Nina usually mean for the North East?