• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter Forecast 2015-2016

dlague

haha - yeah - I'm prone to self-deprecation AND hyperbole, both of which were reflected in my original post... (the tone of the post was also influenced by my depressingly pathetic fail earlier that morning on the slopes of Cannon...). Although I really didn't think that I'd trigger pages of discussion just by making a reference to global warming...

Well now you know! Anything GW for or against triggers a thread avalanche.

yeggous

Charging the electric cars is actually is easy part. Especially with a smart meter, the car will charge overnight when there is ample excess production and lower spot prices for electric. The ski areas already know that there is a glut of cheap electricity at night, which is just one more reason why they like to make snow overnight. This glut of electricity is especially pronounced in areas with abundant wind power. Wind energy production peaks at night and sometimes drives prices negative overnight.

Rowsdower

Electric Utility Industry is itching for this to be more broadly adopted! With more efficient lighting and appliances as well and solar, electric companies, need that new boost of revenue. So ... while we need to charge our cars, utility companies will burn the fossil fuels for you to generate the electricity! Awesome.

It's cleaner overall than having millions of internal combustion engines on the road. Besides, electricity generation is getting cleaner year by year as well (at least in the States). More generating capacity is coming online from natural gas and renewables, and its replacing coal plants. What would really help though would be some modern nuclear.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
It's cleaner overall than having millions of internal combustion engines on the road. Besides, electricity generation is getting cleaner year by year as well (at least in the States). More generating capacity is coming online from natural gas and renewables, and its replacing coal plants. What would really help though would be some modern nuclear.

There's alot of resistance in high tension lines and distributon . Lots of efficeny loss until a breaktrough in super conductor technology. Having all the energy that is used in vehicles now travel through powerlines is a huge challenge. You hear of Summertime rolling blackouts on hot days , Dont think the system can support that load anytime soon.

Q .How does the electric car deal with defrost and low ambient temps? Do they have a heat sysyem to warm the batteries so as not to loose power ? Seems alot of power would be devoted to just keeping the windsheild clear and the interior warm ?
In Internal combustion these are accomplished as byproduct heat so now you are using energy that would'nt have been needed before?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Thank God for the New Year. Snowmaking temps return ~12:01am January 1st, 2016. Sunday night-Tuesday should see the coldest temperatures of the season. The best news is that we'll have the best of both worlds... sustained cold next midweek...then a SLIGHT warmup to slightly above seasonable temperatures for the weekend. No 60 degree BS. No -10 degree BS. A happy medium! Haven't seen that since...since...ummm...

goldsbar

I'm not seeing any great big cold shot (I focus on the Catskills). Sort of seasonal at the very best. Good few days coming up, but then low 40's in the day starting Tuesday, meaning making snow only at night. Poconos even worse and next few days are only marginally good.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I'm not seeing any great big cold shot (I focus on the Catskills). Sort of seasonal at the very best. Good few days coming up, but then low 40's in the day starting Tuesday, meaning making snow only at night. Poconos even worse and next few days are only marginally good.

2nd have of January and on is when it's really supposed to happen.

catsup948

Cold, warm, back to cold, it's a transitional period. Things could get very interesting starting as early as next week. I've been reading models may be having some problems reading the quick changes going on in the Pacific.