Saddleback - Page 101

AlpineZone

Page 101 of 119 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1182

Thread: Saddleback

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    With the AT going over that ridge, you will never get the AMC to allow lifts up to and certainly not over the ridge. Killington has yet to build the interconnect, but to even get to the planning stages (and the initial trail cut off Pico), they had to agree, pay and move the AT/Long Trail from its original route (up andover Pico Peak) to the west of Pico peak and crossing Route 4 west of Pico. All this so the AT would not traverse the ski trails and lifts in the interconnect. And we see how far that project has progressed in 2 decades, but the AT is relocated.

Sent from my SM-T900 using AlpineZone mobile app
    I definitely would not want lifts at the top of Saddleback, or the AT relocated - that's one of the most spectacular ridge walks in the east. I was referring facetiously to the conveyor tunnel at Snowbird that connect the front side to Mineral Basin.

Quote Originally Posted by folledeski View Post
    Was up that way this weekend. Roads in and out of Rangeley are in horrible shape.

For folks driving up from Massachusetts, the 2+ hours on those local, slow, sometimes crappy roads is about an hour too far. The skiing isn't that much better than closer options for most to justify the trip.

Sent from my moto x4 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Sad thing is that all the approaches to Rangeley were resurfaced just a few years ago. Long, frigid winters and logging trucks take a toll.

Quote Originally Posted by mister moose View Post
    meadow like ski trail
    Something about the way you worded that gave me a chuckle. Quoted for fantastic imagery.

I would think the top would only theoretically open once the snowpack is deep enough that most of the shrubs and alpine perennials would be under a yard stick of snow.
    2019/2020 season:

Mount Snow [11/14]

Quote Originally Posted by mister moose View Post
    ^ So it's ok to cross over a 4 lane Mass Pike, but somehow crossing a meadow like ski trail ruins the experience?
    I would say that is an apples to oranges comparison. Totally different crossing highways in the valleys as opposed to crossing development in the higher Alpine wilderness.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by fiddleski View Post
    I definitely would not want lifts at the top of Saddleback, or the AT relocated - that's one of the most spectacular ridge walks in the east. I was referring facetiously to the conveyor tunnel at Snowbird that connect the front side to Mineral Basin.
    Not to get on a tangent, but for all the bitching about the tunnel, it is pretty useful.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Sad thing is that all the approaches to Rangeley were resurfaced just a few years ago. Long, frigid winters and logging trucks take a toll.
    The roads this time of year are tough almost everywhere in rural Maine due to the frost heaves and freeze/thaw cycles...The driving conditions are about the same a SL, as is distance.

As for skiing off the backside...it was explored during the Warren Cook days of Saddleback. They were going to offer cat skiing off the back....thinning glades below treeline. It would offer the most gnarly terrain in the East IF it ever happens...

You do realize most of Maine's resurfacing is a 1/4 skim coat with some patch buildup below in spots. That doesn't take more than two winters to start falling apart again.

You do realize most of Maine's resurfacing is a 1/4 skim coat with some patch buildup below in spots. That doesn't take more than two winters to start falling apart again.

This. So frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    Not to get on a tangent, but for all the bitching about the tunnel, it is pretty useful.
    The Basshole. We used almost everyday when we were there.

Come, come now, You exaggerate. We are getting a 5/8" layer on Rt 26 thru Woodstock (Bryant Pond village area) per the DOT. That's a tad more than 1/4"
    lovin life,

Bob

Thread Information