Saddleback - Page 110

AlpineZone

Page 110 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 1182

Thread: Saddleback

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Really? I've always felt that the attraction was harvesting powder turns and Mount Washington is often WAY too dangerous and complicated for the average east coast, urban weekend warrior type skier, especially in mid winter conditions.

The uphill market segment is growing. It's huge here in Flagstaff. You guys might be a little out of touch with overall ski business trends.

But yeah, it's totally dumb. Tell that to the people already enjoying such areas. Mountain town people love hearing the overly confident opinions of weekend warrior city folks.
    The issue/contradiction with your statement is that yes, Washington is too much for the average weekend warrior (on any coast IME), but you're nuts if you think those are the folks who would be getting into touring. Especially at a place like Saddleback so far removed from everything.

Touring is definitely growing, and fast, but not among the weekenders, at least back east. Among advanced skiers and up, absolutely, but they can handle Washington for the most part.

That is just not true about being able to handle Mount Washington. There a lots of times when Mount Washington is not the place to go, please reference my post on the previous page.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat in January View Post
    That is just not true about being able to handle Mount Washington. There a lots of times when Mount Washington is not the place to go, please reference my post on the previous page.
    I'm from Mass, so I'm definetly a "weekend warrier". But whenever I go to Mt Washington in the winter, a ton of license plates are from Maine as well as far away places like Conneticut. The fact that Maine people are leaving their state to go alpine touring helps solidify the argument that Mt. Washington is far superior than anything in Maine.

(Mt. Katahdin seems like it would be good though--any people from Maine want to explain why y'all don't go there?)

Edit: I think the Connecticut people could be considered weekend warriors. Since I doubt there's places to tour in Connecticut that are good.
    "Well, they called him Super Skier,
    As he sat around the sundeck,
    For he swore that he would never take a spill.
    When they finally brought him down
    They had to use three toboggans
    To carry all the pieces down the hill."
    --Chad Mitchell Trio

Saddleback

Quote Originally Posted by gregnye View Post
    I'm from Mass, so I'm definetly a "weekend warrier". But whenever I go to Mt Washington in the winter, a ton of license plates are from Maine as well as far away places like Conneticut. The fact that Maine people are leaving their state to go alpine touring helps solidify the argument that Mt. Washington is far superior than anything in Maine.

(Mt. Katahdin seems like it would be good though--any people from Maine want to explain why y'all don't go there?)

Edit: I think the Connecticut people could be considered weekend warriors. Since I doubt there's places to tour in Connecticut that are good.
    You’ve clearly never been to Baxter State Park.....

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    Live, Ski, or Die!

This powder mountain thing... that's why I don't get all up in arms about Vail or whoever buying another area. At least they know skiing, not like these jackhole tech bros.

What a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Pez View Post
    This powder mountain thing... that's why I don't get all up in arms about Vail or whoever buying another area. At least they know skiing, not like these jackhole tech bros.

What a joke.

Yep.

Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by gregnye View Post
    https://winterwildlands.org/skiing-m...f-of-the-east/

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    The issue/contradiction with your statement is that yes, Washington is too much for the average weekend warrior (on any coast IME), but you're nuts if you think those are the folks who would be getting into touring. Especially at a place like Saddleback so far removed from everything.

Touring is definitely growing, and fast, but not among the weekenders, at least back east. Among advanced skiers and up, absolutely, but they can handle Washington for the most part.
    It’s pretty obvious that you don’t have a ton of experience in high alpine terrain, that’s ok, don’t get defensive about that. Yeah, Mount Washington with perfect conditions is awesome for the east but during a lot of winters it can be rare to get those safe and perfect conditions so you’re better off going to a place that’s been groomed/trimmed a little during the summer and offers protection from the wind.
    Last edited by raisingarizona; Jun 22, 2018 at 11:58 PM.

you’re better off going to a place that’s been groomed/trimmed a little during the summer and offers protection from the wind.
    While that is true, Saddleback is not that place either. And I'm not defensive about anything btw. I've posted twice on this haha.

And I was not suggesting midwinter touring of Mt. Washington. I do realize that my previous post came off that way though.

Ha! Nice try but it doesn't quite work the same.
    You're right I should have waited until you posted a few more times. But how was I supposed to know?

Thread Information