Saddleback - Page 115

AlpineZone

Page 115 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 1182

Thread: Saddleback

Quote Originally Posted by Cat in January View Post
    I took gregnye comments as jest and had me wondering if he might possibly be a Greg I know.
    See my reply above to J.Spin about how online discussion in the touring community often seems hostile for no real reason. I didn't mean to offend and am probably not a Greg you know.

Long story short: I just really don't see how Saddleback could work as a backcountry destination. There's just so much better stuff elsewhere and it's not above the treeline to make it a destination.

Not sure I think a touring only barebones place can work, but think about other "extreme" sports. The Highland guys took a massive risk opening a downhill mtb only area at a closed ski area years and years before the scene became what it is and the size it is today and now they're a leader in the industry. Then there's the business model of Prospect. They run it as a cross country area and an excellent one at that, they just hosted a major national competition this season, but the owner has always mowed the old NELSAPPED alpine trails and they'll sell you a ticket for cheap and you can then hike up all day. That seems to work almost exactly as you guys are talking about, a bare bones ish/mom and pop type operation with low overhead for touring with the side benefit of cross country crowds coming in to support the place too.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app
    2014-2015
    11/3- Sunday River
    11/9- Bretton Woods
    12/13- Bretton Woods
    1/18- Wachusett
    1/25- Watatic
    1/29- Wachusett

www.skibigsquaw.com

Cool Greg

I don't think Saddleback can make it as an uphill touring center business. Too many days when no money would be made.

What I think could work is if the mountain part of the property was broken away from the main property and held in trust. Allowances would be made for maintaining the glades and trails. Volunteers would do this work over the summer. In winter the mountain could be accessed by skiers, snowshoers without charge. Ideally a non-profit would be formed to oversee the work and use of the mountain. From the work I have seen the mountain bike community do and the passion the bc skiing community has (good amount of overlap here in Maine) I think this is a viable option.

The vision for what would become of the lodge is beyond me. It will sell for pennies on the dollar, but there must be a way it can turn a profit.

Cool Greg

I don't think Saddleback can make it as an uphill touring center business. Too many days when no money would be made.

What I think could work is if the mountain part of the property was broken away from the main property and held in trust. Allowances would be made for maintaining the glades and trails. Volunteers would do this work over the summer. In winter the mountain could be accessed by skiers, snowshoers without charge. Ideally a non-profit would be formed to oversee the work and use of the mountain. From the work I have seen the mountain bike community do and the passion the bc skiing community has (good amount of overlap here in Maine) I think this is a viable option.

The vision for what would become of the lodge is beyond me. It will sell for pennies on the dollar, but there must be a way it can turn a profit.
    Viable? You are asking the Berry's to just hand over their land to a trust so you can go bc skiing a couple days a year?

Good luck with that.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

There was a land trust involved when the Saddleback Foundation was trying to raise funds for the land. They were going to throw in. Land has little value for timber harvesting. House lots could be made up the mountain, but the logistics are steep.

This is all predicated on the mountain asserts being broken up.

Does not seem so far fetched to me.

There was a land trust involved when the Saddleback Foundation was trying to raise funds for the land. They were going to throw in. Land has little value for timber harvesting. House lots could be made up the mountain, but the logistics are steep.

This is all predicated on the mountain asserts being broken up.

Does not seem so far fetched to me.

Little value? At 2k (going rate currently) per acre the Berry's Saddleback holdings have a timber value of over 16 million, just in the trees.

They aren't going to get their 40 million back, but they aren't just going to give it away because you think it is a shame you can't ski there anymore.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

Good luck getting that for the wood between 2k and 4k elevation. The mountain is a small part of their land holding at Saddleback

I love the idea of a place like Cat described above. If I lived in the Boston area Iíd love to have property near a mountain like that.

Maybe itís never gonna happen for Saddleback but I think that sort of thing is gaining popularity, especially with the high price of ski passes and everything else that goes with the sport.

I had a random thought earlier today, would Sugarloaf be interested in saddleback? They arenít too far apart are they?

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    I love the idea of a place like Cat described above. If I lived in the Boston area Iíd love to have property near a mountain like that.

Maybe itís never gonna happen for Saddleback but I think that sort of thing is gaining popularity, especially with the high price of ski passes and everything else that goes with the sport.

I had a random thought earlier today, would Sugarloaf be interested in saddleback? They arenít too far apart are they?
    Boyne has kicked the tires. The numbers didn't make sense. SB would likely steal more skier visits from Loaf than it would bring newer skiers to the region.

IMO if Boyne were to expand in the East, the focus should be on an area that gets them into the NY/NJ market. Stratton or Okemo would be expensive, but good choices for them. Neither likely available anytime soon. Actually a Boyne/Powdr merger makes a lot of sense to me. Would compete nicely against Vail and Alterra.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Boyne has kicked the tires. The numbers didn't make sense. SB would likely steal more skier visits from Loaf than it would bring newer skiers to the region.

IMO if Boyne were to expand in the East, the focus should be on an area that gets them into the NY/NJ market. Stratton or Okemo would be expensive, but good choices for them. Neither likely available anytime soon. Actually a Boyne/Powdr merger makes a lot of sense to me. Would compete nicely against Vail and Alterra.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
    What about them buying Smuggs? Or a smaller place like Bromley? I was going to say Bolton but that place seems to always have money/skier visit issues almost as bad as Burke.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Thread Information