• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback

VTKilarney

With all this talk about Asian ownership, I'm hoping that the Great Leader is going to expand his North Korean skiing empire by adding a second resort. The Dear Leader makes everything perfect. Saddleback will have the fluffiest snow and it will last for twelve months every year!

Brad J

+ 1. And Crotched is closer to more people.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Crotched was closed for many years before Peaks bought it so different situation.

I am not sure if closed for one year or 10 years really makes much of a difference, once the skiers move on I think its tough to get them back. and thats why I felt the remote location would not work, all for not with Peaks buying Hunter. Any who I sure hope for the sale to get completed in the next two weeks so the people in the area that depend on Saddleback being in business

benski

This is on the Saddleback Realty website. Like just the lodge is for sale? Not sure if this has been in the thread already.

View attachment 17997

Edit: it does say resort under primary use. This listing isn't a great sign, obviously. Not even an "under contract" indication.

The lot is listed as over 2000 acres. I assume that's the entire ski area.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

prsboogie

I know the one I'm friends with did mention foreigners but she didn't say what kind

danimals

"If they don't open, they will refund money"

Isn't it safe to say they won't be opening at this point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freeski

If they can't sell by the 3rd week of December they should just give the mountain to the skiers who bought passes and condo owners. This is the only fair way to resolve this mess.

tipsdown

I actually took his the other way....seems like he's telegraphing this as much as he can. They're only negotiating with buyers who will open for this ski season. Sounds like a deal is close...

thetrailboss

Staff member
I actually took his the other way....seems like he's telegraphing this as much as he can. They're only negotiating with buyers who will open for this ski season. Sounds like a deal is close...

Honestly it is too late to have any sort of successful season. Granted it is only December 1st, but vacationers have already made other arrangements and word is out that they are not open. It will be tough to win those folks back.

tipsdown

Honestly it is too late to have any sort of successful season. Granted it is only December 1st, but vacationers have already made other arrangements and word is out that they are not open. It will be tough to win those folks back.

Probably true....but doesn't mean it won't happen. Less revenue this season is probably contemplated in the deal in some
way shape or form...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Probably true....but doesn't mean it won't happen. Less revenue this season is probably contemplated in the deal in some
way shape or form...

I think it is good to be optimistic and hold out hope, but I think here their actions speak louder than their words. Specifically, not hiring any staff, not doing anything to get ready to open, and yet stringing folks along (maybe that is a bit strong, but it is true so far). In addition to losing a lot of revenue they've now almost certainly lost most of their staff. Perhaps the suitor realizes this and wants to sit on his/her/their hands in order to drive the value of the business down so that it is a better deal....and one in the spring.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
A couple of cogent points inthe BDN article:

"Sandy McDavitt bought the Alpine Shop in June. She said in the winter skiers are her best customers. “I’ve had to scale down on staff, and I’ll probably be looking at closing two days during the week. For the first time in 56 years the store will be closing a couple days of the week,”

"Condos at Saddleback and the surrounding area are not being rented out either. Connie Russell owns a vacation rental agency. She said not one skier has booked yet."

There goes the neighborhood. And the local economy. Thank God for the snowmobilers, who do fill a lot of beds in town.