• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback

jimk

Hoping for a secret Santa to make some magic and reopen that place by Christmas.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Nail in the casket, me thinks.
Found this over at newengland ski industry web.

"...[FONT=Georgia, Arial]the Rangeley double chairlift was still listed as for sale on at least one ski industry brokerage site."

"[FONT=Georgia, Arial]according to the Maine Board of Elevator and Tramway Safety, this season's deadline for required state inspections on Saddleback's lifts deadline passed."

RIP. At least for now.

More business details here: http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=348
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

deadheadskier

Staff member
The fact that it is no longer listed for sale could be encouraging no?

Maybe that means the sale went through.

I wouldn't think the inspection deadline passing is a concrete thing. With how many jobs are tied to the resort and the amount of taxes they pay, I'm sure the state could make arrangements for an inspection still.

chuckstah

I wouldn't think the inspection deadline passing is a concrete thing. With how many jobs are tied to the resort and the amount of taxes they pay, I'm sure the state could make arrangements for an inspection still.

This is definitely true. When Camden Snow bowl installed their first chair it opened in late January IIRC. Most definitely some time in January or later. The state will work with the ski areas.

MEtoVTSkier

It was kind of funny the listing was gone, the morning after I pointed it out that it was still being listed, over on Sugarloaftoday.

MEtoVTSkier

This is definitely true. When Camden Snow bowl installed their first chair it opened in late January IIRC. Most definitely some time in January or later. The state will work with the ski areas.

Oh, not a concrete thing I'm sure. But just another massive sign waving, that they aren't going to open. They probably couldn't do the inspections, if they didn't have their lift crews in there doing the maintenance, and getting everything ready for the annual inspections, now could they?

I would imagine the certs run out on December 31st, So... even if by some miracle, snowmaking and lift crews started tomorrow, there doesn't look like much of a chance of any holiday skiing at Saddleback this year. I'd still bet heavily that there won't be any skiing there this season.

It really sucks for the people who sprung for the early buy on the season passes, and have been refused refunds now that the season has started without them. It's not like everyone has the extra money laying around to go buy expensive passes at other mountains now that their money is tied up, and no communication forthcoming. It's creating a lot of ill-will, that could have been completely avoided.

prsboogie

I think in the absolute worst case scenario and the sale goes through, the new owners should A) honor the sold passes and B) give a free pass to anyone who purchased at early rates for the following season for good will for the stress and inconvenience the previous owners put them through.

If not free, then at lease a dramatically discounted rate.

Whitey

Probably Black Mt Maine. Final nail not in the coffin yet for SB but pretty damn close me thinks.

I already posted a long post on my thoughts on SB a while ago in this thread.

I just wanted to add my sympathies to Sal. His posts about his trips to SB, along with others on this website, is what 1st got me interested in SB. I can remember looking at his posts back in '08-'10 and thinking "I gotta get there". It was the reason why I made the push to hit it with my sons a couple of times over the last several years and we loved it (except for the Rangeley double). Skied SB right at the time when my boys were really getting into tree skiing. A large part of why they look for tree runs wherever they ski now is because of those trips to SB.

salsgang

I already posted a long post on my thoughts on SB a while ago in this thread.

I just wanted to add my sympathies to Sal. His posts about his trips to SB, along with others on this website, is what 1st got me interested in SB. I can remember looking at his posts back in '08-'10 and thinking "I gotta get there". It was the reason why I made the push to hit it with my sons a couple of times over the last several years and we loved it (except for the Rangeley double). Skied SB right at the time when my boys were really getting into tree skiing. A large part of why they look for tree runs wherever they ski now is because of those trips to SB.

Thanks for the compliments on the posts. I am glad you found the trees and enjoyed Saddleback!

The owners (Berry's) are honorable people. I am confident they will refund if they don't sell and don't open this year. It sucks to have $1500 tied up in pre-season passes, but I could have worse problems.

They STILL haven't announced their plans for this year... so I am guessing negotiations are STILL going on.... hanging on to a glimmer of hope but being realistic too.

Newpylong

Oh, not a concrete thing I'm sure. But just another massive sign waving, that they aren't going to open. They probably couldn't do the inspections, if they didn't have their lift crews in there doing the maintenance, and getting everything ready for the annual inspections, now could they?

I would imagine the certs run out on December 31st, So... even if by some miracle, snowmaking and lift crews started tomorrow, there doesn't look like much of a chance of any holiday skiing at Saddleback this year. I'd still bet heavily that there won't be any skiing there this season.

It really sucks for the people who sprung for the early buy on the season passes, and have been refused refunds now that the season has started without them. It's not like everyone has the extra money laying around to go buy expensive passes at other mountains now that their money is tied up, and no communication forthcoming. It's creating a lot of ill-will, that could have been completely avoided.

11/30 usually on the certs.

VTKilarney

I feel really badly for the condo owners. This is why I'd never by a condo at a vulnerable ski area. Too risky for my blood. Even if the resort opens back up this has got to shake confidence in the condo market up there.

On the other hand, if the resort closes temporarily it good be a good time to buy if you can stomach the risk.

One way or the other it's too good a resort to see on NELSAP.

crank

How long was Saddleback closed before the current owners reopened it?

crank

My bad. Thought the current owners had reopened it. Looks like it was a similar situation when they bought it though I think the area was in danger of closing.

drjeff

I feel really badly for the condo owners. This is why I'd never by a condo at a vulnerable ski area. Too risky for my blood. Even if the resort opens back up this has got to shake confidence in the condo market up there.

On the other hand, if the resort closes temporarily it good be a good time to buy if you can stomach the risk.

One way or the other it's too good a resort to see on NELSAP.

The people who owned the condo's near the lower mountain section of Haystack have done OK lately by holding on to their property ;)

Certainly the exception to what usually happens though....

x10003q

The people who owned the condo's near the lower mountain section of Haystack have done OK lately by holding on to their property ;)

Certainly the exception to what usually happens though....

The have done well, but there was minimal risk with Mt Snow right up the road.

danimals

Update from Facebook page:

SADDLEBACK UPDATE: Our prospective new owner and the Berry Family feel confident that we will complete a transaction - opening by late January. December 19th marks the traditional opening day for Saddleback, in lieu of the fact that we will not be operating on that date, we are offering passholders three options:
1. WAIT FOR A SNOWY OPENING DAY: By waiting for opening day, you will receive an additional 50% resort credit bonus added to your season pass that can be used anywhere in the resort: food, tickets, lessons, rentals, seasonal locker rentals, future season or day passes etc. This may be used this year or next.
2. CONVERT YOUR SEASON PASS INTO A GIFT CARD: The amount of your pass purchase will be placed on a gift card and by waiting for opening day you will receive an additional 50% resort credit bonus that can be used anywhere in the resort: food, tickets, lessons, rentals, seasonal locker rentals, future season or day passes etc. This may be used this year or next. With the abbreviated season this may give you more flexibility.
3. RECEIVE FULL REFUND: Receive a Full Refund of your season pass.
At any time from now until opening day, if you wish to not wait any longer you may request your season pass refund and pass up on the additional 50% resort credit bonus opportunity.
To review current passholder options go to: www.saddlebackmaine.com/current-passholder-options