Saddleback - Page 58

AlpineZone

Page 58 of 119 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108 ... LastLast

Thread: Saddleback

If I'm the operators of Boyne, I'd expect to get a much greater ROI on investing the $9M or whatever it is into their current holdings than buying SB.

- further development of South Peak at Loon

- New Bucksaw chair with summertime and evening capabilities to get to Bullwinkles. (Chondola)

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    If I'm the operators of Boyne, I'd expect to get a much greater ROI on investing the $9M or whatever it is into their current holdings than buying SB.

- further development of South Peak at Loon

- New Bucksaw chair with summertime and evening capabilities to get to Bullwinkles. (Chondola)
    Yeah, it's not like they do much with their NE properties. Loon got South Face, which is pretty big. SR got their Chondola. SL BS'ed their way into becoming the "largest ski resort east of the Rockies".

But all that's old news. In the past 5 years it's been the "snowmaking and general improvements" that every resort pulls every year when they don't actually do anything noteworthy.
    2019-2020 0 days and holding...
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    Yeah, it's not like they do much with their NE properties. Loon got South Face, which is pretty big. SR got their Chondola. SL BS'ed their way into becoming the "largest ski resort east of the Rockies".

But all that's old news. In the past 5 years it's been the "snowmaking and general improvements" that every resort pulls every year when they don't actually do anything noteworthy.
    Except the Loaf has had dramatic improvements to snowmaking that I would rather see than a K.P. HSQ. Yeah the technology has improved, but Boyne still went out and made it happen.

Besides, Boyne is about as stable an operator as you can get. SB had really aggressive expansion plans much of which got canned, then this happened. New quads, condos, and base lodge are very nice, but it's all moot this winter.

Do people think SB moved snowguns into the webcam's field of vision for show, or is stuff actually going to happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    Do people think SB moved snowguns into the webcam's field of vision for show, or is stuff actually going to happen?
    According to my sources, there were plans to begin snowmaking and open in time for Feb. vacation week. With last Weds. rainstorm/blowtorch in the forecasts, they changed their mind, feeling that the upcoming westher would render the effort useless and a waste of money. Usually, by this time of year, there is plenty of natural snow at Saddleback on which to operate, but my source tells me: not so this year.

The River's biggest additions over the past years are the Chondola and T-72, a dedicated park with a huge half pipe. I've heard it takes "a million dollars" each year to blow all the snow required for the jumps and half pipe as well as maintaining the features. I'm fairly certain that number was just thrown out there, but it is a huge chunk of cash.

This year, they have not got the half pipe going, but the jumps are in place, and pretty impressive. I rolled over the yesterday, no air. And get this, I was the only one on them, though I did see a couple other tracks in the fresh corduroy. A huge investment for not much use. I have heard the president of SR say that if we are going to advertise ourselves as a world class resort, we have to have this. Can't say I disagree with him, but it's still big coin.

Each year they come out with big announcements of spending. Seems they buy 200 to 500k of new, more efficient snowguns, and rotate out the older less efficient ones, or push them to lesser used trails to get more coverage(They are fairly close to 100% coverage anyways).

And of course, they are always buying 2 new groomers to add to their fleet. What they don't tell you is that they sell off two older groomers when they do this. They keep a top notch fleet of newer groomers, but the number is static.

They may announce some investments in real estate as part of that number. But basically, they spend half a million on slope side lots, and get it all back when they sell the first two units. And anything after that is operating cash (pretty good ROI).

Just some random rumblings on the goings on at the River to share.
    lovin life,

Bob

I'm confused. The Berry's were going to operate for the vacation week? If not them, who?

I thought the sale fell through.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    I'm confused. The Berry's were going to operate for the vacation week? If not them, who?

I thought the sale fell through.
    Again, from my source. The deal has not fallen through. The potential new owner would have been the operator (with Berry's approval) even though the deal has still not been finalized.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua segal View Post
    Again, from my source. The deal has not fallen through. The potential new owner would have been the operator (with Berry's approval) even though the deal has still not been finalized.
    That would make sense since they stated that they did not want to "pressure" the buyers. It sounds like there was some sort of hiccup, but that the buyers are still trying to work things out.

Quote Originally Posted by uphillklimber View Post
    The River's biggest additions over the past years are the Chondola and T-72, a dedicated park with a huge half pipe. I've heard it takes "a million dollars" each year to blow all the snow required for the jumps and half pipe as well as maintaining the features. I'm fairly certain that number was just thrown out there, but it is a huge chunk of cash.

This year, they have not got the half pipe going, but the jumps are in place, and pretty impressive. I rolled over the yesterday, no air. And get this, I was the only one on them, though I did see a couple other tracks in the fresh corduroy. A huge investment for not much use. I have heard the president of SR say that if we are going to advertise ourselves as a world class resort, we have to have this. Can't say I disagree with him, but it's still big coin.
    Weekends when it isn't just "old people" skiing it probably gets used a lot more.
    Nobody over 40 uses the park.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Thread Information