• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback

Edd

I’m surprised at how much work is going into the base lodge, as I’ve said before. Looks like a new roof and replacing floors??

This is one of the nicer and newer lodges in New England. I wonder if there were some build quality problems.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Happy to see Saddleback progressing amid this Covid crap. I've had my sights on skiing this area for far too long, will pull the trigger on the Test Drive Pass before the month ends for sure.

Smellytele

As for the Berry family - did they really hold out? Seems to me they didn’t have any offers before except for the swindling Australian guy and the nonprofit type group.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

machski

As for the Berry family - did they really hold out? Seems to me they didn’t have any offers before except for the swindling Australian guy and the nonprofit type group.

I have to think someone or group made an offer or 2 just for the land but not necessarily to operate a ski resort.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
I just bought a test drive ticket and booked a house in Rangeley Monday through Friday of NH school vacation week. Will ski Tu-Th.

Hard to beat at $135 for a three day lift ticket

Sent from my motorola one action using AlpineZone mobile app

Newpylong

Holding out or not holding out aside, they certainly could have let the place go to shit while not operating but they spent a lot of money out of their pockets to keep the place maintained. Outside of the Rangley and Casumptic the lifts were maintained and so were the buildings, trails and snowmaking. If this was not the case, there would be no opening this year.

Last edited:

Smellytele

Holding out or not holding out aside, they certainly could have let the place go to shit while not operating but they spent a lot of money out of their pockets to keep the place maintained. Outside of the Rangley and Casumptic the lifts were maintained and so were the buildings and snowmaking. If this was not the case, there would be no opening this year.

They had to so they could eventually sell it. Let it go to shit and never be able to sell it.

Glade Monkey

The maintenance was pretty minimal during the last 5 years. Biggest thing they did was run a groomer up the t-bar line occasionally to make it easier for people to skin up.

Besides the Rangeley double, the new owners took out the Sandy double and Cupsuptic T-bar, because they were beyond repair.
So the only remaining lifts are two newer quads (one which covers the learning terrain downhill from the lodge, and the Kennebago which covers the top half). The new HSQ build is proceeding nicely and they plan to replace the t-bar next year.
Also while expanding the upstairs of the lodge, they had to completely re-shingle the roof. Plus, all the snowmaking pumps were just sent out for rehab. They have started cleaning up the glades and mowing the trails which were getting somewhat overgrown. Last picture I saw of the yurt at bottom of the Kennebago, it didn't look like it could be saved, but hope springs eternal.
I am looking forward to taking a 4 minute ride on the new lift, versus the old (cold) 11 minute ride up.
I bought a test drive pass.

Last edited: