Saddleback - Page 60

AlpineZone

Page 60 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110 ... LastLast

Thread: Saddleback

If I had choose between the two areas, I'd much prefer seeing Saddleback return than the Balsams even with the massive expansion plans.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddleski View Post
    Hard to imagine Les Otten in this case, since he would be competing directly against his own Balsams mega-resort plan. I would imagine his fellow investors might have something to say about that. On the other hand, I'm sure he would find it very satisfying to poke a stick at SL, SR.
    You'd find it strange for Les to not be a player again and provide an alternative, for skiers, to Boyne?
    SteveD

There's no real path too him doing that besides getting his existing ownership group on board with Saddleback AND finding the money for it. I'd find it hard to believe that he could pull it off.
    Ski season is always too short

Quote Originally Posted by joshua segal View Post
    According to my sources, there were plans to begin snowmaking and open in time for Feb. vacation week. With last Weds. rainstorm/blowtorch in the forecasts, they changed their mind, feeling that the upcoming westher would render the effort useless and a waste of money. Usually, by this time of year, there is plenty of natural snow at Saddleback on which to operate, but my source tells me: not so this year.
    Temps have been just fine up here. IMO times like this are when you bargain tough and buy...guess we shall see.

EPB:
    >There's no real path too him doing that besides getting his existing ownership group on board with >Saddleback AND finding the money for it. I'd find it hard to believe that he could pull it off.

You're probably right EPB... but you never know..some areas of the resort could be re-planted for new growth. Think number of lifts is fine, just upgrade where needed + snowmaking. Lodge expansion in time. In making development = go for the views! Close proximity to lifts can be important for parents..but alternative-fueled shuttles are so common now = should be the standard...and imho..a resort doesn't need as many groomed trails(in good conditions) as in the past/present. So many skiers, with so many choices for a little more width underfoot, can have better experiences with natural cover, again...with decent temps. If not hard, windblown for days....crud is just a minor inconvenience to be skied through these days...think a lot of skiers would welcome it to hone the skills...$.01.
    Last edited by bigbog; Feb 12, 2016 at 11:15 AM.
    SteveD

Quote Originally Posted by eastern powder baby View Post
    There's no real path too him doing that besides getting his existing ownership group on board with Saddleback AND finding the money for it. I'd find it hard to believe that he could pull it off.
    Does anybody know what the actual sales terms are?

For example, when Wildcat was sold the price was $5M. Of that amount, Peak Resorts only paid about $500k cash, and the balance was taken on as debt payable to the seller. Do you think that Les could pull together a 10% down payment and assume an IOU to the Berry family for the balance?
    2016-2017: 79 days
    2015-2016: 54 days
    2014-2015: 63 days
    2013-2014: 68 days

Quiver: 2014 Liberty Sequence (182 cm), 2014 K2 Rictor 82 XTi (177 cm), 2015 Nordica NRGY 100 (177 cm), 2016 Head Monster 88 (177 cm), 2017 Voelkl Racetiger SL (165 cm), 2017 Nordica Enforcer 93 (193 cm), 2017 Revision Subtraction (194 cm)

Point taken. I'd imagine they wouldn't buy a place without developing it though, which would be substantially more expensive
    Ski season is always too short

Quote Originally Posted by yeggous View Post
    Do you think that Les could pull together a 10% down payment and assume an IOU to the Berry family for the balance?
    I don't think Les needs to write an IOU... That'd be like Bill Gates writing an IOU to buy a computer.
    2019-2020 0 days and holding...
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    I don't think Les needs to write an IOU... That'd be like Bill Gates writing an IOU to buy a computer.
    I remember when the ASC was sinking and took out a loan for 25M at 25%.....

Balsams is not delayed due to the developer. It is going thru the approvals process. So Les is NOT dragging his feet on that.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbog View Post
    You'd find it strange for Les to not be a player again and provide an alternative, for skiers, to Boyne?
    Personally, I don't find it strange at all. But it's my understanding that Les's money is a rather small percentage of the investment planned for the Balsams build-out. He would have to convince a lot of people that another big resort right next door in a neighboring state is an asset rather than a competitive liability. He's also got the state backing him, so politicians would want to weigh in. It seems a stretch with the Balsams not even off the ground yet, but who knows, he might be able to do it.

Thread Information