• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback

oldtimer

I take a long term view. If ANYONE comes in and has the capital to replace the lower lift and otherwise improves the skiing product that improves the long term prospects. Don't like this week's buyer? standby and enjoy the product they put out while they put it out. Then be ready to rinse and repeat after a number of years. Under-capitalized sucks.

In VT we lovingly call this the Burke model. Maybe the next owner will be the one that figures out how to stay in the black.

That part of Maine needs a east- west 4 lane highway to open that area up and cut down travel time. The only way I see it working as a for profit situation.

Jully

That part of Maine needs a east- west 4 lane highway to open that area up and cut down travel time. The only way I see it working as a for profit situation.

How much travel time would that cut down? It is mostly just in the middle of nowhere. You can go a good clip up 26, 4, and 27 from 95. I think SB can be profitable given the right approach.

Jully

I'm referring to the Berry's and the State of Maine from 2015.

That is fair. I was mostly being facicious anyways.

I take a long term view. If ANYONE comes in and has the capital to replace the lower lift and otherwise improves the skiing product that improves the long term prospects. Don't like this week's buyer? standby and enjoy the product they put out while they put it out. Then be ready to rinse and repeat after a number of years. Under-capitalized sucks.

In VT we lovingly call this the Burke model. Maybe the next owner will be the one that figures out how to stay in the black.

Ouch. Harsh.

Honestly though, part of what screwed the Berry's was the $40 million they put into the place. Someone acquiring the area with $8 million of debt instead of $40 million may just be able to turn a profit.

deadheadskier

Staff member
This has been proposed as a way to better connect Maine ports with PQ, but it would be too far north of SB & SL to benefit the area.

4f70a80057f5d8d7a7b8df05b2a74a83.jpg

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

VTKilarney

Just heard a rumor that Dopplemeyer was there checking the lifts for these investors and an announcement is possible next week.

Boy, I really hope so. The longer this drags out the more nervous I become.

bdfreetuna

Just got the latest SMF newsletter. After reading this I'm kind of rooting for the foreign investor with "big plans". The Saddleback Mountain Foundation seems really unfocused in terms of operating a ski resort first and foremost.

dlague

Will be interesting to see what happens next with the Rangley Double after the sale is complete!