Peak Resorts to buy Ski Liberty, Ski Roundtop, and Ski Whitetail in South Central PA

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Peak Resorts to buy Ski Liberty, Ski Roundtop, and Ski Whitetail in South Central PA

wow...

Not sure if I should be happy about this or not...

http://www.skiroundtop.com/roundtop-...r%2024,%202018
    2019-2020

TBD

One bright side here is it shows a return to their roots aka smaller midmarket mountains and hills...

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app
    2014-2015
    11/3- Sunday River
    11/9- Bretton Woods
    12/13- Bretton Woods
    1/18- Wachusett
    1/25- Watatic
    1/29- Wachusett

www.skibigsquaw.com

Liberty and Roundtop were my day trip mountains as a kid growing up outside DC.

Interesting strategy - get the DC, Baltimore, Philly and NY day trip crowd to move to bigger resorts further North. Compared to Vail/Alterra trying to get the Northern skiers to also head West.
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

If I can't buy a cheaper pass for the 3 local mountains I am out... They better think this through or those 3 mountains will go belly up quicker than Peaks can buy another feeder hill.

I have no interest in Hunter or Mount Snow and upping my pass price 167% for those places isn't going to work for me.

This sucks... Living by an affordable ski hill just got taken away from me.
    2019-2020

TBD

Quote Originally Posted by jimmywilson69 View Post
    wow...

Not sure if I should be happy about this or not...

http://www.skiroundtop.com/roundtop-...r%2024,%202018

I know Hunter and Mt Snow saw a huge increase in the # of skiers from PA resorts when the peak pass covered these mtns. Most were shocked at the size and difficulty of Hunter compared to their anthills and their ability was lacking in a lot of cases. Again - this is what I learned from conversations with mtn mgt and random chair lift "where are you from" conversations.

This again, will just drive up the crowds. None from NY, NH or VT is going to drive to any of these newly added resorts. They will all be coming north

Hunter could be a day trip, long one from JFBB, but Mt Snow apparently saw a big boost in lodging.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmywilson69 View Post
    I have no interest in Hunter or Mount Snow and upping my pass price 167% for those places isn't going to work for me.
    How much was your pass for the 3?

I'll probably take a weekend and hit the 3 of them. Never been to any and I always try to get 10 new places each year. Gets harder every year for some reason.

Current price is $499 for unlimited skiing at 3 local places. there is a reason I drive right by Hunter and farther north in Vermont to Ski. Hell I never ski in the Poconos because its crazy crowded and I can hit all 3 of these places within 1 hours drive. Roundtop is only 5 miles from garage to lift.

It does appear that their mid-west mountains have local passes, so hopefully things roll status quo down here and the rest of Peaks is just an add on. I just worry because jack frost and big boulder are included with the "main" Peaks Pass.
    2019-2020

TBD

So those 3 aren't too crowded compared to the Poconos? Don't know much about them at all. Would no doubt go during a regular non-holiday weekend. Maybe hit Bear Creek on the way out and pick up a bonus.

Seems like there's never a lift line at Jack Frost, but the lodge can be a bit crazy.

Our season pass lowered in price when Peaks took over...
    It's been awesome!

Roundtop, the closest to me, is not out of control busy on most weekends. Liberty, the closest to Washington DC gets really busy. Whitetail is the best skiing out of all of them, and draws a strong DC Crowd. They too are really busy on the weekends. On a MLK Sunday I only got 9 runs in 4 hours at Whitetail. Needless to say I pick and choose when I hit up both Whitetail and Liberty. Usually in Late feb. They both have crappy eastern exposure. HOwever, in late feb they can start to have some great corn snow due to nice warmer days.
    2019-2020

TBD

Thread Information