• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback

deadheadskier

Staff member
If I'm the operators of Boyne, I'd expect to get a much greater ROI on investing the $9M or whatever it is into their current holdings than buying SB.

- further development of South Peak at Loon

- New Bucksaw chair with summertime and evening capabilities to get to Bullwinkles. (Chondola)

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
If I'm the operators of Boyne, I'd expect to get a much greater ROI on investing the $9M or whatever it is into their current holdings than buying SB.

- further development of South Peak at Loon

- New Bucksaw chair with summertime and evening capabilities to get to Bullwinkles. (Chondola)

Yeah, it's not like they do much with their NE properties. Loon got South Face, which is pretty big. SR got their Chondola. SL BS'ed their way into becoming the "largest ski resort east of the Rockies".

But all that's old news. In the past 5 years it's been the "snowmaking and general improvements" that every resort pulls every year when they don't actually do anything noteworthy.

Jully

Yeah, it's not like they do much with their NE properties. Loon got South Face, which is pretty big. SR got their Chondola. SL BS'ed their way into becoming the "largest ski resort east of the Rockies".

But all that's old news. In the past 5 years it's been the "snowmaking and general improvements" that every resort pulls every year when they don't actually do anything noteworthy.

Except the Loaf has had dramatic improvements to snowmaking that I would rather see than a K.P. HSQ. Yeah the technology has improved, but Boyne still went out and made it happen.

Besides, Boyne is about as stable an operator as you can get. SB had really aggressive expansion plans much of which got canned, then this happened. New quads, condos, and base lodge are very nice, but it's all moot this winter.

Jully

Do people think SB moved snowguns into the webcam's field of vision for show, or is stuff actually going to happen?

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Do people think SB moved snowguns into the webcam's field of vision for show, or is stuff actually going to happen?

According to my sources, there were plans to begin snowmaking and open in time for Feb. vacation week. With last Weds. rainstorm/blowtorch in the forecasts, they changed their mind, feeling that the upcoming westher would render the effort useless and a waste of money. Usually, by this time of year, there is plenty of natural snow at Saddleback on which to operate, but my source tells me: not so this year.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm confused. The Berry's were going to operate for the vacation week? If not them, who?

I thought the sale fell through.

VTKilarney

Again, from my source. The deal has not fallen through. The potential new owner would have been the operator (with Berry's approval) even though the deal has still not been finalized.

That would make sense since they stated that they did not want to "pressure" the buyers. It sounds like there was some sort of hiccup, but that the buyers are still trying to work things out.

Smellytele

The River's biggest additions over the past years are the Chondola and T-72, a dedicated park with a huge half pipe. I've heard it takes "a million dollars" each year to blow all the snow required for the jumps and half pipe as well as maintaining the features. I'm fairly certain that number was just thrown out there, but it is a huge chunk of cash.

This year, they have not got the half pipe going, but the jumps are in place, and pretty impressive. I rolled over the yesterday, no air. And get this, I was the only one on them, though I did see a couple other tracks in the fresh corduroy. A huge investment for not much use. I have heard the president of SR say that if we are going to advertise ourselves as a world class resort, we have to have this. Can't say I disagree with him, but it's still big coin.

Weekends when it isn't just "old people" skiing it probably gets used a lot more.
Nobody over 40 uses the park.

fiddleski

Interesting - you and tipsdown obviously have different sources with completely contrary stories (sale has fallen through, sale has not fallen through). That's not intended as a comment on who is right, just an observation.

Here's my question: Do you or tipsdown know who the buyer is? Not asking for a name - that's clearly "top secret", just if you know what the name is.

Again, from my source. The deal has not fallen through. The potential new owner would have been the operator (with Berry's approval) even though the deal has still not been finalized.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Interesting - you and tipsdown obviously have different sources with completely contrary stories (sale has fallen through, sale has not fallen through). That's not intended as a comment on who is right, just an observation.

Here's my question: Do you or tipsdown know who the buyer is? Not asking for a name - that's clearly "top secret", just if you know what the name is.
I've been asked not to give details. I can say that all names and corporations that I know of have been mentioned on this thread. However, there have also been a lot of names and corporations mentioned on this thread that I can only imagine are someone's WAG with no basis in fact.

Condo owners are still hoping for March.

fiddleski

Thanks. Just trying to put together even the most basic elements of the scenario. Can't make hide nor hair of it.
I've been asked not to give details. I can say that all names and corporations that I know of have been mentioned on this thread. However, there have also been a lot of names and corporations mentioned on this thread that I can only imagine are someone's WAG with no basis in fact.

Condo owners are still hoping for March.

prsboogie

Talked to my condo owner friend and she has no clue what the hell is going on. She is just as much in the dark as everyone here, except maybe Joshua Segal, 😉. I will say that, she has heard Les Otten's name thrown around a few times and that the helicopter has been seen around again.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Talked to my condo owner friend and she has no clue what the hell is going on. She is just as much in the dark as everyone here, except maybe Joshua Segal, ��. I will say that, she has heard Les Otten's name thrown around a few times and that the helicopter has been seen around again.
Interesting because my source is also a condo owner. That being said, s/he has been surprised by a few unexpected curves.

prsboogie

Her and her husband are making up for the lost season but going out to Baniff in March. Not a bad conciliation prize huh

fiddleski

Talked to my condo owner friend and she has no clue what the hell is going on. She is just as much in the dark as everyone here, except maybe Joshua Segal, ��. I will say that, she has heard Les Otten's name thrown around a few times and that the helicopter has been seen around again.
Hard to imagine Les Otten in this case, since he would be competing directly against his own Balsams mega-resort plan. I would imagine his fellow investors might have something to say about that. On the other hand, I'm sure he would find it very satisfying to poke a stick at SL, SR.

prsboogie

Unless he is sitting on a pile of money he isn't willing to dump into the Balsams that no one knows about I doubt he has any skin in this game. Unless he's leaking things to f*$k with people

SIKSKIER

Well, there is this:
For at least the third time in the past year, the proposed Balsams construction start date has been delayed.
The project was originally slated to start on June 1, 2015, however developers cited the legislative process in obtaining state backed bonds as reason for delaying construction until late summer. The project was delayed again during the summer with a new groundbreaking date set for fall 2015.

That date has now been pushed back to June 2016.

Maybe the delay is putting that project aside and switching it to Saddleback.Takes time to aquire a lot more land surrounding SB and getting investors onboard a new plan.I dont really believe this buttttttt.......

yeggous

I'd be willing to believe Otten would double up with both Saddleback and the Balsams. I don't see how the Balsams or Saddleback alone can compete in the local market without teaming up on a multi-area pass.

We are not talking about southern or central Vermont. In New Hampshire, Maine, and far Northern Vermont multi-area passes are the standard. The Balsams would be competing directly against the Judge Pass, Granite Pass, New England Pass, and White Mountain Super Pass. Adding together the Balsams and Saddleback would give both a fighting chance.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If I had choose between the two areas, I'd much prefer seeing Saddleback return than the Balsams even with the massive expansion plans.