• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback

EPB

There might be some pictures on the Facebook account they used to use when they were operational. No idea what the status of it is. I get the sense that they didn't extend too far down from the ridgeline though.... I've been to SB once on a solo trip with some overcast, so I wasn't able to make it out there.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

I don't know if this would be considered sacrilege, but I've wondered if there's a way for a place like SB to strike a deal with an Alterra or Epic (most likely Epic given proximity to SR/SL) where they could get decently paid to take overflow traffic onto their relatively empty mountain.

You might mean Ikon in regard to SR/SL but, as a Saddleback fan, I’d take pretty much any arrangement that would get the lifts spinning again. Beats the current situation.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Looking for opportunity zoning or EB-5 options does not speak well to the depth of the pockets of the buyers. Good luck, would like to see it work out but I'm skeptical this group has the pockets to make Saddleback truly soar.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

So after Q/Jay Peak, getting foreign investors to buy into an EB-5 program for a ski resort project in the Northeast is going to be like selling ice to an Eskimo. That is unfortunate.

I know that the current interested buyer has more of a community focus and is more of a non-profit than a typical investment group. That takes less pressure off in terms of exepctations. With a hot economy right now, though, costs to buy and operate this place will be higher unfortunately.

It is too bad that it has been shuttered as long as it has been. It will take a lot to get folks to come back. Not an easy task. :(

Fingers crossed it works out.

VTKilarney

I'm shocked at what real estate is going for at the mountain. There are two 2-bedroom units (759 square feet) listed for $198,500. Two other larger units are listed for $329,000.

Edd

I'm shocked at what real estate is going for at the mountain. There are two 2-bedroom units (759 square feet) listed for $198,500. Two other larger units are listed for $329,000.

Considering the near hopelessness of that situation, that strikes me as pricey. If those same places were right on Rangeley Lake, different story.

EPB

Keep in mind those are asking prices. Unless I missed something, according to Zillow, nothing has sold on mountain in years (there were no his on the "recently sold" setting, which picks up 2ish years of sales).

VTKilarney

I'd take those prices as owners hoping that overzealous speculators might take the bait thinking the Mountain will come back to life.
Then those owners are fools. An operating mountain is already priced into their asking price. So there is no upside for a speculator. $198,500 for fewer than 800 square feet in Rangely? Give me a break.

EPB

Then those owners are fools. An operating mountain is already priced into their asking price. So there is no upside for a speculator. $198,500 for fewer than 800 square feet in Rangely? Give me a break.
It's a bit of a surprise that not a single unit has sold. Speaks well to the owners being reasonable when they bought in because nobody seems to have been forced to sell due to financial hardship.

100% agree that nobody in their right mind would pay full price for ski in ski out next to a closed mountain. As a property owner, there doesn't seem to be good incentive to fire sell your place when there's still hope.

VTKilarney

It's a bit of a surprise that not a single unit has sold. Speaks well to the owners being reasonable when they bought in because nobody seems to have been forced to sell due to financial hardship.

Are you sure that Zillow actually has sales data for Sandy River Plantation, Maine?

It could be that some people have not sold because they are upside down and cannot afford to pay off the mortgage if the condo sells for what it is really worth.

I feel badly for the condo owners, that's for sure.

VTKilarney

It looks like Zillow is correct. I pulled up condo sales data from here:
http://www.mainelistings.com/search/soldlistings/soldsearch-id/2854

No condos sold in Sandy River Plantation in the past twelve months.

That is absolutely shocking.

Only one condo sold in the past three years. A three bedroom unit sold on 7/28/2016 for $184,900. That is cheaper than the current one-bedroom condos that are on the market.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Oh, I definitely don't think they are very bright. I think they are wishfully hoping that someone is reading the news and think the mountain is going to reopen and wants to buy while the price is "low." I say low as a comparison to Sugarloaf real estate like this as an example.

https://www.beangroup.com/homes/267...-Valley/ME/04947/2261413998/index.html?cnt=14

Similar property for sale at $235K.

If Saddleback were to reopen and prove that they will be viable long term, that $198K price tag for slopeside probably makes sense. Personally I'd rather buy into a viable Saddleback than over at Sugarloaf. Rangeley is a much better four season destination than Carrabassett Valley IMO.

Maybe they hook a sucker while the Mountain is still closed. Probably not, but it doesn't hurt them to list.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

VTKilarney

Oh, I definitely don't think they are very bright. I think they are wishfully hoping that someone is reading the news and think the mountain is going to reopen and wants to buy while the price is "low." I say low as a comparison to Sugarloaf real estate like this as an example.

https://www.beangroup.com/homes/267...-Valley/ME/04947/2261413998/index.html?cnt=14

Similar property for sale at $235K.
Did condos at Saddleback ever sell for as much as condos at Sugarloaf?

EPB

Did condos at Saddleback ever sell for as much as condos at Sugarloaf?
I doubt it. Anyone who bought at Saddleback knew the chances it went under were materially higher than Sugarloaf. You'd have to pick some real estate at Saddleback, find what you deem a comparably nice/sized/located place at Sugarloaf, dig through pricing history and compare. It's doable on Zillow, but probably not worth the effort.

dblskifanatic

Saw this on jay peaks pass site

SADDLEBACK PARTNERSHIP

New this season, we are partnering with Saddleback in Maine who will be reopening next season. All 2020+21 Jay Peak Season Passholders (Jay Only and Combo) will receive 2 unrestricted lift tickets to ski Saddleback anytime through the 2020+21 Ski/Ride Season.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

thetrailboss

Staff member
Saw this on jay peaks pass site

SADDLEBACK PARTNERSHIP

New this season, we are partnering with Saddleback in Maine who will be reopening next season. All 2020+21 Jay Peak Season Passholders (Jay Only and Combo) will receive 2 unrestricted lift tickets to ski Saddleback anytime through the 2020+21 Ski/Ride Season.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Someone mentioned that recently. Cool.

Edd

This shit continues to be the best news on skiing. This could be the only lift tickets I buy next year.

Dickc

The Test Drive Pass
Saddleback is pleased to offer a new way to try the improved mountain experience this winter, The Test Drive Pass.
For only $135.00 (Adults) or $120.00 (Senior, Casablanca, College, Junior) enjoy three, unrestricted, days of skiing or riding and this great price is just half of the deal.

From the date you purchase the Test Drive Pass, until the end of the 14th day Saddleback is open, you can upgrade to a full pass by simply paying the difference. Yes, you receive full credit for the amount already spent. Pass is good all season, not just the first 14 days they're open

The Test Drive Pass will ONLY be available for two months (July & August), so if you’re looking for a new option, big enough to provide you the full, re-invigorated Saddleback experience, this is for you.

info@saddlebackmaine.com
SaddlebackMaine.com

Here is their COVID policy about opening....
Pass Buyer’s COVID-19 Assurance Guarantee
In response to questions some of you have asked, we would like to post our simple assurance plan for all of our pass holders. This assurance guarantee applies specifically to the risks associated with COVID-19. Operating dates limited by weather will not be guaranteed.
If, due to COVID-19, the resort opening is delayed beyond January 1st, all passholders will receive a pro-rated credit for the time lost, to be automatically applied to their ’21 – ’22 season pass purchase.
If, due to COVID-19, the resort closes before March 21st, all pass holders will receive a pro-rated credit to be automatically applied to the ’21 – ’22 season pass purchase.
Based on what we know now, we do not believe COVID-19 will prevent the resort from opening this winter. In the event things change and we are not able to open at all this winter due to the pandemic, passholders will receive a 100% credit to be automatically applied to the ’21 – ’22 season