Saddleback - Page 87

AlpineZone

Page 87 of 119 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast

Thread: Saddleback

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    Very odd. I had thought they had an order with Dopp for a new t-bar with drastically increased capacity. Also not a ton of information in that post. Will they be delayed by mother nature because of getting too cold too early and not being able to install the lifts? I'd assume so, but why not say that. Additionally, will they be installing the new rangeley quad this fall?
    More like if they move forward on the quad install now, it will be this winter. They need to move because I doubt they can pour footings after the ground freezes up. Without a firm stated open target, I doubt they reopen this winter. Too much to do and if they intend to open with just a refurbished T-bar their terrain will be constricted with the work happening on the new quad. We've waited this long, guess we can wait one more winter.

Sent from my SM-T900 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    More like if they move forward on the quad install now, it will be this winter. They need to move because I doubt they can pour footings after the ground freezes up. Without a firm stated open target, I doubt they reopen this winter. Too much to do and if they intend to open with just a refurbished T-bar their terrain will be constricted with the work happening on the new quad. We've waited this long, guess we can wait one more winter.

Sent from my SM-T900 using AlpineZone mobile app
    That is my thought too. T-bar only doesn't make much sense. Sad to wait another winter, but its definitely not the end of the world.

I'm not drawing any conclusions yet, especially when Saddleback poster seemed encouraged and said we'd be the first to know.

Majella Commits to Opening Saddleback for 2017-2018 Season

http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com...hp?storyid=596

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    Majella Commits to Opening Saddleback for 2017-2018 Season

http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com...hp?storyid=596
    Based on this, I would bet the skiing will be limited to Golden Smelt and Lookers right of that off just the T-Bar for most if not all of the season with ongoing work on the new Rangley. The lower mountain beginner terrain will be in too.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    Based on this, I would bet the skiing will be limited to Golden Smelt and Lookers right of that off just the T-Bar for most if not all of the season with ongoing work on the new Rangley. The lower mountain beginner terrain will be in too.

If the T bar opens they can access the Kennebago as well...if they choose to staff the upper mtn and do some snowmaking up there

2018-19
    Wildcat 11/10

2017-2018 Days: 51
    2016-2017 Days: 51
    2015-2016 Days: 25
    2014-2015 Days: 36
    2013-2014 Days: 25
    2012-2013 Days: 16
    2011-2012 Days: 25
    2010-2011 Days: 24
    2009-2010 Days: 47

Quote Originally Posted by xwhaler View Post
    If the T bar opens they can access the Kennebago as well...if they choose to staff the upper mtn and do some snowmaking up there
    True Xwhaler, but if the Rangley Quad is under construction, they likely will not be able to allow skiing across the line. Thus no Kennebago.

I skied there on a day when the Rangeley Double was closed but the Kennebago Quad was open via the T-bar.

It wasn't the worst situation as a one-off, but T-bar lines were long. The T-bar is a good backup but I don't see how they try to have a grand opening under those circumstances.

Would be a shame to get "almost there" with the new quad and stopped by weather. I think I'll root for a cold snowy winter regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    I skied there on a day when the Rangeley Double was closed but the Kennebago Quad was open via the T-bar.

It wasn't the worst situation as a one-off, but T-bar lines were long. The T-bar is a good backup but I don't see how they try to have a grand opening under those circumstances.

Would be a shame to get "almost there" with the new quad and stopped by weather. I think I'll root for a cold snowy winter regardless.
    Any construction would halt access to anything looker's left of the Rangeley including Kennebago. I hope if they only get partway there with the quad install they can somehow shut down construction and let people ski past it.

To your earlier point, I don't think it would be a 'grand opening' but more of a soft opening. I think there is a lot of value in even opening a little bit. It gets buzz going, locals involved, and shows that you mean business. It should make the following season with full operations go better as well. These people haven't ever run a ski resort before, so there will certainly be kinks and quirks that they need to learn and work out!

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    Any construction would halt access to anything looker's left of the Rangeley including Kennebago. I hope if they only get partway there with the quad install they can somehow shut down construction and let people ski past it.
    This is not really true. The only time you wouldn't be able to get between the 2 is when they were removing and installing the cable and when they were actually helicoptering in the towers. They can build tower bases at anytime as well as install the upper and lower terminal.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Thread Information