• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback

Edd

This says volumes

"The premier ski resort in North America.”

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I agree. That statement alone is concerning. The least charitable interpretation implies ignorance of what kind of ski area Saddleback is, where it is, and what the competition is. If you’re having funding issues trying to buy a place like Saddleback, the phrase “premier ski resort in North America” has no place in a press release.

SkiFanE

Being complete outsider who just reads what is in public space (and I Love SB) - I think the next step is up to the Barry's. The basis, and only basis, for RE value is what someone will pay. And over the last 2-3 years it's apparent that what the Barry's want no one will pay. If a bank won't loan you money because they can't see how they will be paid back - then they're asking too much. So, IMO, the Barry's need to reduce their price if they really want SB to survive. Maybe they have? Who knows. But it's like that house on the market that has been for sale for 3 years while those around it sell like hot cakes. It's not the property, it's the price. Drop it low enough for someone willing to pay - the only choice.

Whitey

This says volumes

"The premier ski resort in North America.”

You guys are reading too much into this. It's marketing speak. You're not going to say "we hope to be a really good local hill" when you are trying to pump up your product and launch a new venture. It's spin, nothing more, nothing less. No one's going to care if a year from now it's back to operating but it's not yet a "premier ski resort".

machski

You guys are reading too much into this. It's marketing speak. You're not going to say "we hope to be a really good local hill" when you are trying to pump up your product and launch a new venture. It's spin, nothing more, nothing less. No one's going to care if a year from now it's back to operating but it's not yet a "premier ski resort".
Agree, but the plans the Berry's had floated could have had Saddleback approaching premier Eastern resort level if they actually could have gotten there. Obviously, they didn't get the draw early enough on to go there. But the proximity to the lake and offerings of Rangley give them a unique position in the east to be a year round resort. Not sure what has come out that Majella is the solution or key to unlock that.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
Being complete outsider who just reads what is in public space (and I Love SB) - I think the next step is up to the Barry's. The basis, and only basis, for RE value is what someone will pay. And over the last 2-3 years it's apparent that what the Barry's want no one will pay. If a bank won't loan you money because they can't see how they will be paid back - then they're asking too much. So, IMO, the Barry's need to reduce their price if they really want SB to survive. Maybe they have? Who knows. But it's like that house on the market that has been for sale for 3 years while those around it sell like hot cakes. It's not the property, it's the price. Drop it low enough for someone willing to pay - the only choice.

I agree with you. While the buyer doesn't have their ducks in a row, the Barry's are the ones who started this cascade of events by playing chicken with the State and banks two years ago to get money for the chairlift. I understand that it is expensive to run an area, and no owner wants to lose money, but they owe it to the community to try to keep the place running and do no harm to their customers and employees. Every day that place sits empty just increases the chances that it will never reopen.

bdfreetuna

http://http://majellagroup.com/cgi-sys/suspendedpage.cgi

Since the announcement in last summer, the official "saddlebackmaine.com" website had a message from Majella. That URL now leads to an "Account Suspended" page.

This is the case for the entire Majella Group site, which used to be pretty fancy. Majella appears to have completely disappeared from the web.

Sigh...

Typically what happens on the web when you don't pay your hosting bills.

SMF had a couple of million to put down too .. Berry's held out for all or nothing. The Majella Group never impressed me and even less as time went by .. Maybe the Berry's will be finally willing to deal with SMF and work something out that keeps ownership in State.