Need to upgrade - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need to upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by skiNEwhere View Post
    I just got some blizzard latigo's which match everything you just said. I obviously haven't had a chance to try them out yet, but I got them due to all the rave reviews.

I'd research them a little bit.
    Not sure if you're talking to me or Greg. But those skis are impossible to find for demo.
    I owned the Bushwacker and loved them. Skied the Brahma a few times, and really enjoyed them. I was not a fan of the Latigo however. I felt they had to much rocker for the width of their waist personally. They felt extremely twitchy to m, and I could not get comfortable on them. They kept wanting to hook and shoot to the sides hard.

*I demoed on a groomer day*
    104(12/13)
    (13/14)
    48(14/15)
    35(15/16)
    50(16/17)
    Rossi Soul 7 w/ Marker F12 (188 ) FOR SALE!
    Stockli Stormrider w/ Look PX 12 (177)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkshot99 View Post
    I owned the Bushwacker and loved them. Skied the Brahma a few times, and really enjoyed them. I was not a fan of the Latigo however. I felt they had to much rocker for the width of their waist personally. They felt extremely twitchy to m, and I could not get comfortable on them. They kept wanting to hook and shoot to the sides hard.

*I demoed on a groomer day*
    Curious as to where you found a demo. Was it a special "demo day"?

I'd say I search for skis similar to how dlague does, by looking at the numbers. I've yet to talk to any one who hasn't liked the ski. Worst case scenario, if I don't like them, I feel like I got a good enough deal that if I were to resell them I'd at least break even.
    2017/2018 Days - 88
    2016/2017 Days - 34
    2015/2016 Days - 57
    2014/2015 Days - 58
    2013/2014 Days - 47

Curious as to where you found a demo. Was it a special "demo day"?
    Not sure what a special demo day is to you. But I manage a ski shop, and attend multiple demo days every winter/spring.

I'd say I search for skis similar to how dlague does, by looking at the numbers. I've yet to talk to any one who hasn't liked the ski. Worst case scenario, if I don't like them, I feel like I got a good enough deal that if I were to resell them I'd at least break even.
    To m they were just way to twitchy feeling. They have alot of rocker for such a narrow ski. I enjoy a very turny ski such as a SL, but these didn't personally feel like they were predictable turny I guess... I truly hope you enjoy them, not everyone enjoys the same gear.
    104(12/13)
    (13/14)
    48(14/15)
    35(15/16)
    50(16/17)
    Rossi Soul 7 w/ Marker F12 (188 ) FOR SALE!
    Stockli Stormrider w/ Look PX 12 (177)

Thanks for the suggestions.

I ski double black diamonds.

So far picked up new Krypton Fusions, Look Pivot 12s and some K2 comp poles. Considering Dyna Powertrack 89s in 179 for skis. The Dyna/Look/Diabello/K2 combo has been my last few setups. Yeah, I know I should demo... lol
    I ski double black diamonds.

Nothing wrong with going with what you know.

I've never bought a set of skis I've demoed. If you're buying a year out, the model you demo may not be around.

Only been stuck with one set of skis over the years I truly didn't like and had no use for.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Yeah, I know I should demo... lol
    Would you marry a women before getting into bed with her? Same concept.
    My couch might pull out but I send it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    Would you marry a women before getting into bed with her? Same concept.
    But undemoed skis would be a less expensive mistake.

Let's be honest, nowadays most skis with the same genre are pretty good and tend to be fairly consistent from manufacturer to manufacturer - its not nearly as variable as it used to be years ago when there was far more variability from company to company.

Nowadays if you know you want say a mid fat "do most things well" 1 ski quiver, you're likely to not go wrong no matter who makes the ski as the differences tend to be subtle rather than dramatic.

Now if you're debating if say a mogul specific ski will be able to handle a decent powder day in the trees as well as it can a firm bump run, then the need to demo is likely greater
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

Think I'm set except for a pair of "decent" rock skis. You know your skis are toast if you're not happy with them as rock skis. I'd like something with at least some edge left, a little ptex would be nice too.

I got a brand new pair of Volkl RTM 84 UVO's under warranty. Today I ordered a pair of Volkl Kuros. I always wanted to learn to snowboard, now I can learn with one on each foot! 132mm underfoot, 5.2"! I was going to get them in 195, but I wussed out and got the 185's, I figured it was better to err on the short side, thinking 195's might be a bit much in the trees. 195cm is 6.4 ft. 185cm is a mere 6 ft, still taller than me. Maybe I'll be motivated to drop some lard if I don't float enough, I think I'll be fine. Now the question is, will both pair fit in my bag to bring West when I visit my Son?

Got a sweet deal on the Kuros, new 2014 model, $279, no tax, no shipping, skis.com through Amazon. I'm having my shop mount the bindings currently on my Mantras, see skis unworthy of rock ski status, they'll be installing larger brakes, obviously. The brakes are $50, I assume about the same to mount the bindings, so the total will be $379, I can live with that. They should last a long time, I'll only ski them when it snows. You can blame me if this Winter sucks. Can't wait to ski them both.
    Leave no turn unstoned!

Thread Information