• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf Bucksaw Chair....RIP

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
Sugarloaf has the most whack lift system of all the major resorts in the northeast.

It's a little crazy with a variety of old lifts and new, transport, and ski lifts. But the problem is that 90% of the people ski on 5 quad chairlifts (SuperQuad, Whiffletree, King Pine, Skyline, and Timberline). Half the time Timberline is closed so that leaves just four lifts. Some people find their way to #3 T-Bar and Bucksaw, but still, it's definitely discouraging and inconvenient on big Saturdays. If money was no object, a funitel to the top would be great. If they had Vail Resorts kind of money, maybe replace the SuperQuad with a six-pack and move the quad over to King Pine. However, in the reality of the situation, I could almost see them replacing King Pine with a fixed grip six pack (there are a few such devices in existence around the world). But I guess it's too late for that to happen.

Jully

It's a little crazy with a variety of old lifts and new, transport, and ski lifts. But the problem is that 90% of the people ski on 5 quad chairlifts (SuperQuad, Whiffletree, King Pine, Skyline, and Timberline). Half the time Timberline is closed so that leaves just four lifts. Some people find their way to #3 T-Bar and Bucksaw, but still, it's definitely discouraging and inconvenient on big Saturdays. If money was no object, a funitel to the top would be great. If they had Vail Resorts kind of money, maybe replace the SuperQuad with a six-pack and move the quad over to King Pine. However, in the reality of the situation, I could almost see them replacing King Pine with a fixed grip six pack (there are a few such devices in existence around the world). But I guess it's too late for that to happen.

They still might replace KP because they eventually wanted to move it to the Double Runner area. If it's a carpet loaded quad that's even better. Definitely might not happen now though which is lame.

They do have a whacked lift system though. It would work if they had the number of high speed lifts as Stratton does, but they don't.

soposkier

I don't mind king pine as a fixed grip, as long as it is realiable

The Sneak

I love the Loaf. Going there will always feel like I'm going 'home' as it was a place I skied 150 or so times in college.

But heck, the lifts were sketchy there in 1996! Freshman year was the final season for the gondola. They also ran the SuperQuad on aux power and at half speed for virtually the entire season. Some strange issue with it.

I think I rode backsaw maybe 5 times ever.

It was all about spillway long side, king pine, and the super quad then. The Gondola ran sporadically. It's crazy and alarming to realize this was 20 yrs ago. Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steamboat1

Had a great a spring week there back in the day. Gondi was open top to bottom, no lift lines even though the cabins were spaced out 500 yards apart & the snowfields were prime all week. No King Pine back in those days so it was top to bottom skiing the backside. Those were the good old days.

Can't recall exactly how many years ago this was but the base lodge & village were there at the time. They must be getting a little dated like myself.

Last edited:

dlague

Having been there for the first time last season, that particular part of SL including that lift was of no interest to me. That will bring more beginner traffic to SL Super Quad which will suck and Tote Road will get more crowded than it already is at times - as a result. scrapped off faster. Then again, not a trail I am that interested in either.

What will be worse in the added traffic on WT Super Quad. That line always sucked last year.

The beginners can lap Skidway :)

Last edited:

ceo

Not as whack as it was in the late 60s with no chairlifts, 5 T-bars and a gondola. But the way the lifts are spread out all over the base area with only a short beginner double remotely close to the lodge has always been one of SL's biggest inconveniences.

Jully

If they do end up replacing the Double Runners with something would they consider bringing them down closer to the lodge with a bit of regrading? Maybe even angle them slightly more towards the lodge instead of right next to the right side of the trail?

skiNEwhere

The problem is that sugarloaf is so carved out that there are essentially no trail pods that can be connected to each other. All lifts essentially run parallel to each other, and it's not easy to move across the mountain without traversing or cutting across half a dozen trails.

If the mountain weren't so carved out, then lifts could be installed diagonally allowing for easier movement around the mountain, and bona fide trail pods as well.

dlague

The problem is that sugarloaf is so carved out that there are essentially no trail pods that can be connected to each other. All lifts essentially run parallel to each other, and it's not easy to move across the mountain without traversing or cutting across half a dozen trails.

If the mountain weren't so carved out, then lifts could be installed diagonally allowing for easier movement around the mountain, and bona fide trail pods as well.

But then the trail count would not be as high! Gotta have the trail count high.

Scotty not talking about the high you like!

skiNEwhere

I'd be happy with a surface lift from the top of the Spillway chair.Wind would not be an issue and only advanced skiers could ride it.

If a chairlift can't run in the wind to the summit of the loaf....you probably don't want to be there to begin with.

Jully

Didn't they have a T-bar that they were planning on installing to the summit up like, Cinder Hoe? I think they said they were going to install it in the summer of 2013 haha.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If a chairlift can't run in the wind to the summit of the loaf....you probably don't want to be there to begin with.

I don't know about that. Lots of days the Spillway be down and the Bateau is running next to it.

I think a summit tbar would be a great and inexpensive lift addition.

skiNEwhere

I don't know about that. Lots of days the Spillway be down and the Bateau is running next to it.

I think a summit tbar would be a great and inexpensive lift addition.

Maybe. But I imagine the lack of trees would make visibility difficult as well.