70th Anniversary of Hiroshima - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by freeski View Post
    I don't have anything against the Japanese or the Germans, but I do hold a grudge against the generation that fought against the U.S.
    Groupthink and obedience are real, active, and powerful parts of social psychology. I would suggest reading Ordinary Men by Christopher Browning. It discusses how those men in Nazi Germany were not fit for combat followed the blitz, rounded up those targeted, and did the killing. A tough read but it shows how obedient we are to authority even when we know something is wrong.

Or our own My Lai Massacre.......

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Or our own My Lai Massacre.......

How dare you say the U.S. military did something wrong?!

The USS Wahoo story is like the opening of "Tomorrow Never Dies" on a massive scale.

Quote Originally Posted by steamboat1 View Post
    Fun facts.

Russian WWII Vets get free medical from American VA hospitals as do all other forces aligned with us during WWII.
    As well they should (hope it's reciprocal). Now, if only we could get good care for our own vets at home.
    "The trouble with internet quotations is that they're often impossible to verify."
    -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by ctenidae View Post
    As well they should (hope it's reciprocal). Now, if only we could get good care for our own vets at home.
    My uncle who passed away several years ago (WWII Vet) received very good treatment from the VA I think. They even put him up in a nice nursing home near the ocean his final 2 years at no cost to our family.

Quote Originally Posted by steamboat1 View Post
    My uncle who passed away several years ago (WWII Vet) received very good treatment from the VA I think. They even put him up in a nice nursing home near the ocean his final 2 years at no cost to our family.
    I have two grandfathers who were in Korea and receive amazing care (Knee/hip replacements, physical therapy, etc.) The VA appears to do very well on that end.

However, in my work at a mental health hospital and neurology clinic I see vets with TBIs, PTSD, substance use (mostly over prescribed benzos and opioids from the VA), and a new trend of epilepsy amongst Iraqi vets (in the 30-50 year old range) who come to get second/third opinions or treatment because of how awful the VA is. I would say 2-3 a week minimum.

I could write an entire book about the VA, based on both my first hand experiences and those of other vets I served with. But I'll bite my tongue and say they do well in some aspects, and are horrendously failing in others.
    2017/2018 Days - 88
    2016/2017 Days - 34
    2015/2016 Days - 57
    2014/2015 Days - 58
    2013/2014 Days - 47

VA in White River Junction was really solid with my father in law then again there were several doctors from Dartmouth who worked there too. Good to have a teaching hospital near by I guess.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

That's one of the better VA hospitals in New England. Some of the others I can't give much praise to. I've literally been inside 280 of the 300 hospitals in New England. The quality of service, available technology and general upkeep is far and away better at civilian hospitals. It should be the opposite IMO.

Sad day - i visited there a couple years ago with my good friend who lives there. She lived with us a an exchange student..
    Her father is a Japanese vet from WWII - I knew him - he recently died. My trip to Japan was to honor him because Kazumi came to the US to honor my fathers after he died..
    We were lucky to get a tour of Hiroshima from a woman who helps authors and movie makers with the history. Her family was touched by the blast. Her Grandmother and Grandfather died - the parents were outside of town sheltering. They KNEW something was going to happen.. It is said we left it alone so when we bombed it - we could better understand the effects with clean terrain.

It's an amazing place... And amazing to see the town fixed up like nothing happened..

Thread Information