• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

70th Anniversary of Hiroshima

Tin

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2810653-155/japan-marks-70th-anniversary-of-hiroshima

Just saw that it is today. Definitely a dark day in history and one that probably evokes some mixed emotions.

As much as I enjoy the long weekend of parties and cookouts I have mixed emotions about it as we still celebrate VJ Day in RI. I remind myself if the bombs were not dropped hundreds of thousands of American troops would have been killed and wounded trying to take the main islands and how many more years war would have continued.

Puck it

As much as I enjoy the long weekend of parties and cookouts I have mixed emotions about it as we still celebrate VJ Day in RI. I remind myself if the bombs were not dropped hundreds of thousands of American troops would have been killed and wounded trying to take the main islands and how many more years war would have continued.
The very issue that Truman wrestled with. Just look at what it took to take Iwo Jima!

freeski

We should have hit Tokyo. They were evil animals. Maybe 3 bombs could have taken out the ring leaders.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Are you serious? Two were enough to end the war. Why kill tens of thousands more people?

freeski

Dead serious, why not take out the leaders. They started it, Pearl Harbor. What would life had been like in the U.S. if they and Germany had won? Think about that. Seriously, we would have all been slaves if they had there way. Both Japan and Germany thought they were of a superior race. The people in Hiroshima and Nagasaki were worker bees.
I agree with what we did after the war to get Japan back on it's industrial footing. Sending over the ISO 9000 guy (can't remember his name).

Yea, we should have leveled Tokyo.

Puck it

Dead serious, why not take out the leaders. They started it, Pearl Harbor. What would life had been like in the U.S. if they and Germany had won? Think about that. Seriously, we would have all been slaves if they had there way. Both Japan and Germany thought they were of a superior race. The people in Hiroshima and Nagasaki were worker bees.
I agree with what we did after the war to get Japan back on it's industrial footing. Sending over the ISO 9000 guy (can't remember his name).

Yea, we should have leveled Tokyo.
Deming?

Scruffy

Not to mention the thousands of Allied POWs in Japan that were all about to be executed.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Freeski, the war was over after the first two bombs. Hell it was likely over after the first. In fact 6 out of the 7 WW2 five star generals are on record as saying the bombs were morally reprehensible and unnecessary.

The goal of war is to end conflict as quickly as possible with the fewest number of casualties. To actively wish for another bomb dropped on Tokyo makes you equally as savage as the Pearl Harbor attackers if not worse because there would have been far more deaths to innocent bystanders. What an awful mindset to have.

freeski

Bombing Tokyo instead of the other two, not after. I have a degree in Political Science from UNH and had a professor who was from the State Dept. during the cold war. That's were I got a lot of my mindset. It's easy for you to be dovish having not lived through this period. England could have easily fallen and the U.S. would have been next. I don't think you realize what that would have meant.

Tin

Bombing Tokyo instead of the other two, not after. I have a degree in Political Science from UNH and had a professor who was from the State Dept. during the cold war. That's were I got a lot of my mindset. It's easy for you to be dovish having not lived through this period. England could have easily fallen and the U.S. would have been next. I don't think you realize what that would have meant.

Bombing Tokyo means no second plan. You leveled their biggest, now go after smaller ones? From a cultural standpoint taking out leaders would have led to an infuriated, "dug-in", and out for revenge Japanese people versus a population crippled with fear. Tokyo first means no surrender, having to level every city, then still dealing with resistance.

The British handled things in the Battle of Britain and Barbarossa sealed the fate of the Third Reich. The Japanese had not encountered anything close to U.S. military strength during their imperialistic spread. Once they did, yes the U.S. casualties were high and Guadal was close, but the Japanese victories were tactical or mere bombing raids.

Last edited:

Domeskier

Bombing Tokyo means no second plan. You leveled their biggest, now go after smaller ones? From a cultural standpoint taking out leaders would have led to an infuriated, "dug-in", and out for revenge Japanese people versus a population crippled with fear. Tokyo first means no surrender, having to level every city, then still dealing with resistance.

Not to mention that Tokyo had already been decimated by months of firebombing. Over 100,000 civilians were killed in a single night in March of 1945 alone. This, together with the defeat of the Nazis and the entry of the USSR into the war with Japan, probably rendered the first bomb (and almost certainly the second) completely unnecessary (assuming the use of nuclear weapons (or carpet bombing for that matter) against civilian targets could ever be considered "necessary" or even justifiable).

deadheadskier

Staff member
We should have hit Tokyo. They were evil animals. Maybe 3 bombs could have taken out the ring leaders.

How does the above translate to "instead"? You clearly called for three bombs.

My aunt was a Russian translator for the CIA during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Her clearance level was so high she wasn't allowed to divulge to family where she even worked until 25 years after she left the job. I can assure you her opinion doesn't align with your professor's.

jimk

No looking back, at least on this particular issue. The best military and political minds in America decided we had to do what we had to do. Not only did the war end soon after, but the world saw the horrific power of nuclear weapons, the cold war stayed fairly cold, MAD worked, and to this day we haven’t seen another nuke used in attack mode.

BTW, I’m for the Iran Nuke Deal, one of the few things I align with Obama on.

PS: I studied under this guy in college, Dr. Gordon Prange: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_W._Prange
He had seen Hitler speak as a grad student in Nazi Germany and served as MacArthur’s chief historian in occupied Japan. He was so good I took four military history classes from him and became a History Minor. He would actually reenact excerpts from Hitler’s speeches in class, fluid German, goose-stepping included!?!

Last edited:

freeski

If Germany, Japan or both had nukes and the ability to deliver them to the U.S. mainland how would they have proceeded?

freeski

How does the above translate to "instead"? You clearly called for three bombs.

My aunt was a Russian translator for the CIA during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Her clearance level was so high she wasn't allowed to divulge to family where she even worked until 25 years after she left the job. I can assure you her opinion doesn't align with your professor's.

You'd need more than one for Tokyo. I think three would have done the trick (all on Tokyo). The argument that there would have been no one with authority to surrender may have some validity.

Tin

If Germany, Japan or both had nukes and the ability to deliver them to the U.S. mainland how would they have proceeded?

But they didn't and we knew they didn't! Both, specifically Germany, put their efforts into aircraft, rockets, jets, etc. They were not even attempting to really build one. Japan did not start thinking about the bomb and gathering uranium until spring of 1945.

Bombing Tokyo would have been the greatest one day mass casualty in human history. It had a population density double and almost quadruple that of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. In the initial blast it is easy to say 200k dead, who knows about after effects. Initially Hiroshima was estimated to be at 70-80k dead. That total doubled.

Putting hypotheticals into history is fun, but all logic gets thrown out the window...as seen here. What if Napoleon's army didn't get yellow fever? Would we all be speaking French?

Last edited:

freeski

200K is low. In looking for deaths in WWII I came across the following:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties

All things considered the U.S. and our allies were very generous in the way we ended the war. Also, China was devastated by Japan and you never hear about it. The Nazis had nothing on Japan on the evil scale during this time period. I don't have anything against the Japanese or the Germans, but I do hold a grudge against the generation that fought against the U.S.

edit: I won't post anymore on this topic. Too nice a day for this darkness. Gonna hop on my mountain bike and go to the woods.

Kind Regards
Freeski