• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tips for the 1st winter with a baby.

manhattanskier

Website
www.patriotbrass.org
I can 100% assure you, that any days off your typical season average you loose during the next season or 2 will be more than made up in the form of the incredible rush you'll get when you see your kid on skis for the 1st time in a few seasons!

That is the plan. I think it will help bring a lot of freshness to the sport for me as well :)

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

MadMadWorld

You rock, I need to do what you are doing, any other words of wisdom?

She was so young this year that I really didn't expect anything from her. I just made sure that she had a positive experience. I had the wife take a video of her riding the magic carpet and going down the hill which she watches regularly. I have to remind her that you can't ski on grass :D

manhattanskier

Website
www.patriotbrass.org
She was so young this year that I really didn't expect anything from her. I just made sure that she had a positive experience. I had the wife take a video of her riding the magic carpet and going down the hill which she watches regularly. I have to remind her that you can't ski on grass :D

Did you tech her or did you have her go to a school?

nycskier

If you think skiing with 1 kid is tough wait until you have 2! The year before my 1st son was born I had over 60 days on the mountain. They year after he was born I barely got in 6. For get trips out West or up to Jay Peak. In the beginning the bus trips will be your friend. The OvRide trips to Hunter will allow you to get a day of skiing in and still be home in time to put your kid to bed. I even managed to get in a few daytrips to VT. Its the easiest way to sneak a day on the mountain in when you are a new dad. Last year when my son turned 3 I taught him to ski. But I was no longer a skier rather I became a kiddie ski instructor. Instead of skiing moguls and woods in Tahoe and VT, I was skiing backwards down the bunny hills at Tuxedo Ridge and Campgaw. When your kid gets older go to Paragons and get a kids season ski rental for $100. Also make sure you get them an edgie wedgie! It is insane to try and teach a 3 or 4 year old how to ski for the 1st time without one. There are a bunch of bunny hills within an hours drive of NY. Tuxedo Ridge, Mount Peter and Campgaw are great places to teach a 3 year old to ski. They are so close to the city you can leave in the morning, ski with your kid and be home in time for afternoon nap! A lot of these places will let kids under 5 ski for free too. Chances are this is your future on skis. It will be different but it will also be VERY rewarding.

The Sneak

I basically have 3 ski buddies.

One had his first kid last fall, have seen him 1x since. He skied 1x last year.
One will have his first kid late this year.
Another has no kids but just bought a home 20 miles further away and is closing on it / planning upgrades that will conflict with ski season.

So basically my season is ruined 3 months before it starts.

manhattanskier

Website
www.patriotbrass.org
If you think skiing with 1 kid is tough wait until you have 2! The year before my 1st son was born I had over 60 days on the mountain. They year after he was born I barely got in 6. For get trips out West or up to Jay Peak. In the beginning the bus trips will be your friend. The OvRide trips to Hunter will allow you to get a day of skiing in and still be home in time to put your kid to bed. I even managed to get in a few daytrips to VT. Its the easiest way to sneak a day on the mountain in when you are a new dad. Last year when my son turned 3 I taught him to ski. But I was no longer a skier rather I became a kiddie ski instructor. Instead of skiing moguls and woods in Tahoe and VT, I was skiing backwards down the bunny hills at Tuxedo Ridge and Campgaw. When your kid gets older go to Paragons and get a kids season ski rental for $100. Also make sure you get them an edgie wedgie! It is insane to try and teach a 3 or 4 year old how to ski for the 1st time without one. There are a bunch of bunny hills within an hours drive of NY. Tuxedo Ridge, Mount Peter and Campgaw are great places to teach a 3 year old to ski. They are so close to the city you can leave in the morning, ski with your kid and be home in time for afternoon nap! A lot of these places will let kids under 5 ski for free too. Chances are this is your future on skis. It will be different but it will also be VERY rewarding.

Thanks so much, judging from our user names it is obvious I am on your path as far as ski areas go. I really appreciate you writing in.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I basically have 3 ski buddies.

One had his first kid last fall, have seen him 1x since. He skied 1x last year.
One will have his first kid late this year.
Another has no kids but just bought a home 20 miles further away and is closing on it / planning upgrades that will conflict with ski season.

So basically my season is ruined 3 months before it starts.

Reach out to people on AZ about when are where your going. People get together from here all the time. Also, come to the summit this year you will meet tons of skiers.

dlague

Even more interesting when you have 4 boys - it is a rough 9 years between the oldest and the youngest. Got out about 6 times per season and got up to 10 days before having our last. With our last son, the older boys that already had the skiing bug wanted to get out while the youngest was too young to get out. Over the years when we had children under 2, we leveraged neighbors, family, and friends to get out. Once our youngest was two and a half I tethered him (only one i did that with) and we never looked back. BTW our other boys started off with lessons once they were 3. Tethering the youngest allowed us to get out more with the others.

Savemeasammy

Reach out to people on AZ about when are where your going. People get together from here all the time. Also, come to the summit this year you will meet tons of skiers.

Agree.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Domeskier

This is probably not a big deal in VT/NH/ME folks but I went to the local Lowe's in central MA and they had bags of wood pellet outside on sale.

It's probably a good idea to remind new parents to keep their houses warm during baby's first winter, but if I'm not mistaken he was actually looking for some tips on getting a few runs in between changing diapers. :)